• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

Just now, DR.X said:

we've heard this before. but if they claim there is a fix, I would like to hear what the problem was? :martini:

I hear you! In 2016 there was a "fix" to the crumpled problem and Brittany helped me with the "fix" then, which I was more than satisfied with.

Why something went wrong, and they need to "fix" again? I agree it is ??? why they messed with a good thing...yet they did offer again a "fix" and I expect results to be the same, which is satisfaction....

Squeaky wheel get's the grease, and now I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth..... I asked for help, I got it.... :tink: I wish that was "end of story", but for some it will not be..... and I can understand that..... :headbang: 

3 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Where was it said that they would correct the problem? Was it in this thread or some other place on the board? Heck i'll box up my books right now if they are willing to make it right.

EDIT: it was page #15 @Ride the Tiger.... worked for me, I posted and sent pics and the rings were deemed "excessive".....by "CGC Comics", who was a worker for CGC :) confirmed by @Scott =)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

11 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

OK I received 3 slabbed books last month and I noticed a few newton rings but didn't think much of it. I just read this thread for the 1st time so I went back to look at my slabs and all 3 have a pretty extensive amount of rings. In fact on the back cover of 2 of them there is an egg shape like indention that can be seen. I took a picture of it with my cheapo digital camera and circled the areas where you can see the indention. This basically has ruined my day and I just sent in more books last week that I think i'd rather have sent back. Here are the pics and i'm really bummed.

That's not acceptable. The dents in the inner mylar could put dents into your book. The rings on the front are excessive. So my advice is to take advantage of the now confirmed official advice here:

On 8/31/2018 at 9:13 PM, CGC Comics said:

If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

This poll now has an amazing 160 votes and the feelings of the participants are clear. The official response here is encouraging, and Brittany is clearly someone we can work with. I suggest we all contact the CGC Customer Service Team using the contact details provided when we get books with problems. It's a hassle, and a drag to return books, but the problem won't go away if we normalise it by accepting visually flawed slabs.

We've made progress today. 

In case anyone missed it, it was page #15 of this thread where they offered help :foryou: 

Well I'm through cheerleading..... I've sent my "book" in, I'll post the results after a while....

:shy: :shy: :shy: 

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's not acceptable. The dents in the inner mylar could put dents into your book. The rings on the front are excessive. So my advice is to take advantage of the now confirmed official advice here:

This poll now has an amazing 160 votes and the feelings of the participants are clear. The official response here is encouraging, and Brittany is clearly someone we can work with. I suggest we all contact the CGC Customer Service Team using the contact details provided when we get books with problems. It's a hassle, and a drag to return books, but the problem won't go away if we normalise it by accepting visually flawed slabs.

We've made progress today. 

Your good people Steve :shy: :foryou: we need you here and a whole mess of :wishluck::wishluck::wishluck::wishluck::wishluck::wishluck: with these re-subs @Get Marwood & I

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

29 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

OK I received 3 slabbed books last month and I noticed a few newton rings but didn't think much of it. I just read this thread for the 1st time so I went back to look at my slabs and all 3 have a pretty extensive amount of rings. In fact on the back cover of 2 of them there is an egg shape like indention that can be seen. I took a picture of it with my cheapo digital camera and circled the areas where you can see the indention. This basically has ruined my day and I just sent in more books last week that I think i'd rather have sent back. Here are the pics and i'm really bummed.

001.JPG

002.JPG

This is a well-known CGC problem called 'Puddling.'  It's been going on for years and it's a serious problem because the case can actually imprint this pattern onto the comic book inside.  There used to be several huge threads about this issue here on the CGC forum.

You can see pics and read more about this case defect HERE.

Newton Ring Question

I haven't tried to reholder books with newton rings, but I have wanted to. A while back I got back two expensive (for me) books with very bad puddling. I contacted Christian, and after sending him some pics, he said that they would reholder them for free. They came back with the EXACT same puddling. Not similar, mind you, they were the same. They transferred the books right from my box to theirs. I remember removing them from the CGC box and thought, "Shoot, they have puddling again. And they're the same size...in the same spot of the book. Come to think of it...". After I got out the pics of the books I had sent to Christian, and my suspicions confirmed, I figured that they just wanted to shut me up. So even though I've gotten books back with excessive amounts of rings (where the WHOLE cover is covered), I haven't even tried to contact them again.

5 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Newton Ring Question

I haven't tried to reholder books with newton rings, but I have wanted to. A while back I got back two expensive (for me) books with very bad puddling. I contacted Christian, and after sending him some pics, he said that they would reholder them for free. They came back with the EXACT same puddling. Not similar, mind you, they were the same. They transferred the books right from my box to theirs. I remember removing them from the CGC box and thought, "Shoot, they have puddling again. And they're the same size...in the same spot of the book. Come to think of it...". After I got out the pics of the books I had sent to Christian, and my suspicions confirmed, I figured that they just wanted to shut me up. So even though I've gotten books back with excessive amounts of rings (where the WHOLE cover is covered), I haven't even tried to contact them again.

If the puddling is on the inner mylar, could they have misunderstood the reason for the return and just replaced the outer holder? 

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Where was it said that they would correct the problem? Was it in this thread or some other place on the board? Heck i'll box up my books right now if they are willing to make it right.

that thread was vaporized some time back.

18 minutes ago, DR.X said:
1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

that thread was vaporized some time back.

It was restated in this thread, it's been shown and proven ???

I don't understand your comment.... but I don't want you to mislead @Ride the Tiger Brittany McManus has been helping us....sigh

On 8/31/2018 at 3:13 PM, CGC Comics said:

Thank you for your feedback.

The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” are a normal occurrence when two different plastics (which have different refractive indexes) are placed together. It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector or on the edges of an LCD screen. 

The rainbow effect has been seen in CGC holders since our first-generation holder was introduced nearly 20 years ago. This is a result of the inner sleeve (which holds the book) contacting the hard-plastic outer shell; the two different plastics have different refractive indexes and that sometimes creates a rainbow effect when they come into contact. A minor rainbow effect has always been within our tolerance. If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

Example of extreme rainbow effect:

saga.jpg

ghost rider.jpg

@DR.X @Ride the Tiger @skypinkblu

It's like y'all don't read the thread this has been proven....

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” are a normal occurrence when two different plastics (which have different refractive indexes) are placed together. It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector or on the edges of an LCD screen. 

The rainbow effect has been seen in CGC holders since our first-generation holder was introduced nearly 20 years ago. This is a result of the inner sleeve (which holds the book) contacting the hard-plastic outer shell; the two different plastics have different refractive indexes and that sometimes creates a rainbow effect when they come into contact. A minor rainbow effect has always been within our tolerance. If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

Example of extreme rainbow effect:

saga.jpg

Just now, DR.X said:

nothing. he misunderstood what was being discussed. No harm.

Thank you that's my bad, I just finished dinner and thought it was still up in the air about the reholder my bad...