• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2018 at 8:13 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Sure, send in your Newton Rings and get back the newly designed, full of scratches, inner well. If it's not one thing it's another.

Mine have Newton Rings plus the scratches, so it's not that the new case is so new. The scratches only bother me when I am looking with a magnifier, or I have my eye 2 inches from the case...the Newton's rings you can see from a normal distance.  I'm very glad Brittany is involved, she's wonderful, and I'm glad she's back working. She's not the only one who has been helpful.  I'm sending back some books tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

20 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Mine have Newton Rings plus the scratches, so it's not that the new case is so new. The scratches only bother me when I am looking with a magnifier, or I have my eye 2 inches from the case...the Newton's rings you can see from a normal distance.  I'm very glad Brittany is involved, she's wonderful, and I'm glad she's back working. She's not the only one who has been helpful.  I'm sending back some books tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

are the scratches on the outside or the inside?

I was told that my newton rings weren't severe enough to warrant a new holder plus they said they couldn't guarantee the new holder would be any better. What????  I thought there was a fix. Very disappointing. Where is the "bad enough to warrant a new holder" sample so those of us thinking we have lousy looking holders stop sending in photos and wasting everyones time?

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I was told that my newton rings weren't severe enough to warrant a new holder plus they said they couldn't guarantee the new holder would be any better. What????  I thought there was a fix. Very disappointing. Where is the "bad enough to warrant a new holder" sample so those of us thinking we have lousy looking holders stop sending in photos and wasting everyones time?

Right HERE.

CGC has stated that these examples are what they consider severe enough to try to fix with a re-holder (no guarantees though).

I'm wondering why so many slabs that need a reholder due to NRs are passed thru quality control. I wonder if QC is even supposed to be looking for bad NRs.

Also ... let's say a slab is caught by QC for having too many NRs and has to be reslabbed. They would have to open the slab, right? So that means they would have to trash that plastic? Now multiply that cost by X. Mucho dinero!

41 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I'm wondering why so many slabs that need a reholder due to NRs are passed thru quality control. I wonder if QC is even supposed to be looking for bad NRs.

Also ... let's say a slab is caught by QC for having too many NRs and has to be reslabbed. They would have to open the slab, right? So that means they would have to trash that plastic? Now multiply that cost by X. Mucho dinero!

I don't know.

But if they are, then they must be looking for newton rings much worse than these, because this was just graded on 8/20/18.

CGC Comics Club.

Sean Rischar

Ive already seen others complain about this... and if it wasnt this bad i wouldnt even be complaining (if it was a spot or 2) but....

What the (bad word) CGC...

How is this okay? I cant display it... it literally looks terrible in any light or reflection... why is the back perfect, but the cover has rainbowing EVERYWHERE... and when you dont see the rainbow... its just straight discolored (orange splotches.)

Not a single spot on back... but this looks (bad word) awful.

Certification Information

Certification #: 1951229001
Title: Spider-Man: The Manga
Issue: 28
Issue Date: 3/99
Issue Year: 1999
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.0
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 08/20/2018
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Ryochi Ikegami story
Joe Madureira & Tom McSweeney cover
Signatures: SIGNED BY JOE MADUREIRA ON 7/21/18

xSWrZz2.jpg

kHMEDEW.jpg

IJx64XI.jpg

lN41MvS.jpg

6C05cLC.jpg

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

7 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I don't know.

But if they are, then they must be looking for newton rings much worse than these, because this was just graded on 8/20/18.

CGC Comics Club.

xSWrZz2.jpg

kHMEDEW.jpg

IJx64XI.jpg

lN41MvS.jpg

6C05cLC.jpg

I can’t tell...is there a comic book in that slab?  I can’t see anything through all the Newton rings.

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:
1 hour ago, Gaard said:

I don't know.

CGC Comics Club.

Sean Rischar

Ive already seen others complain about this... and if it wasnt this bad i wouldnt even be complaining (if it was a spot or 2) but....

What the (bad word) CGC...

How is this okay? I cant display it... it literally looks terrible in any light or reflection... why is the back perfect, but the cover has rainbowing EVERYWHERE... and when you dont see the rainbow... its just straight discolored (orange splotches.)

Not a single spot on back... but this looks (bad word) awful.

xSWrZz2.jpg

kHMEDEW.jpg

IJx64XI.jpg

lN41MvS.jpg

6C05cLC.jpg

Here's another one that just came back today...also graded on 8/20/18.

You can see the newton rings right through the bag.

Certification #: 1299257004
Title: Amazing Spider-Man
Issue: 300
Issue Date: 5/88
Issue Year: 1988
Grade: 6.5
Total Graded At: 357
Category: Modern
Art Comments: David Michelinie story
Todd McFarlane cover & art
Key Comments: Origin & 1st full appearance of Venom
(Eddie Brock). Thing appearance.
Last black costume.

sTl3pr6.jpg

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

It's because they count on 85% of people getting their slabs back and not caring about newton rings.  Although we are being vocal about it, here, I feel we are still a very small minority.  They will only try to fix it if the customer complains.  If they were actually trying to fix it in QC, they'd be re-slabbing 50% of their product.

Edited by AndyJibb

Once you separate out that there are some really great people working at CGC - Brittany being the shining example - the actual current Senior Management endorsed position is still unsatisfactory in my view. What I am seeing reading the last few pages of this thread is an attempt by CGC to 'normalise' an unsatisfactory production issue. If you don't like NRs, that's your fault, seems to be the message. 

If you purchased a pack of five chicken breasts, got them home, opened them, and the smell knocked you off your feet, you would take them back and expect a refund. They're very likely off. 

CGC acknowledge that NRs are a problem by providing examples of excessively affected books and offering to reholder them. This is an acknowledgement that NRs are a problem, and undesirable. It is not for CGC to decide the extent to which that problem requires redress. If CGC were the supermarket, and you returned your rotten chicken breasts, would they say "Look, only one of the breasts is off. The other four are fine, so no refund". It's nonsense. You cannot say a small problem can be ignored and dictate to the paying customer when that problem meets the threshold for remedial action.

CGC have graded 5M items over their lifetime, of which many millions will be comics. If only a fraction of 1% of those books were covered in NRs, that would still represent a sizeable figure. If a large % of the customers affected complained here en masse, it would look like a lot of discontent. But it would only be a tiny fraction of the overall output so perhaps not worth a song and dance. No company can be 100% right all the time, every time. If that is the case here though (no pun intended), then CGC should offer a straight no quibble reholder with free shipping and a future credit for the inconvenience. That is what a rerasonable company would do, rather than risk jeopardising their reputation for the sake of a 'small' issue.

So why aren't they? Is the problem much bigger than believed? Does one in two books leave the CGC QC department with rings at the moment? We don't know. The only thing we know, is that lots of board members here are posting that their books have them and the responses from CGC are varied. You can have a reholder - you can't. That's unsatisfactory.

So, I again say a big thank you to Brittany for being the only person I contacted about this poll to come through with a response for us. But that response is in no way adequate. We need a statement that says:

1. We have a production issue and are working hard to fix it
  2. If you are impacted by it, we offer this no quibble remedial service to you (insert something really customer focused here)
  3. We will tell you when it has been engineered out of existence, if you would prefer not to submit books given that we cannot currently guarantee a NR free end product
  4. We are sorry our service has fallen below the high standards you would expect from us

I wont be taking my Spideys to the new London office until I see that the problem has been resolved - definitively. I accept that that won't amount to a hill of beans. But if we all did it....

One last thought. If the National Gallery got in touch with CGC and asked them to create for them some 'crystal clear' cases in which they would display all the old masters to the public do you think CGC would tell them NRs were satisfactory?

"Mum. Why has the Mona Lisa got oil all over her face?"

"Be quiet Timmy. That's an optical illusion caused by two plastics touching each other and is entirely normal"

"Oh. Right..... Mum....."

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

One last thought. If the National Gallery got in touch with CGC and asked them to create for them some 'crystal clear' cases in which they would display all the old masters to the public do you think CGC would tell them NRs were satisfactory?

But remember, we're just lowly comic book collectors.

"Gimmee yer money and quitcher person_without_enough_empathyen."

I have gotten 2 recent books I purchased off eBay , both being modern books . Flash mattina variants , very cool covers in my opinion. But I can’t display either because of the stupid newton rings, they look terrible. Both books main attractions are the flash’s face, both are blocked out by the rings, you can see them from 6 inches away to almost across the room. Very unhappy lately with Cgc. I’m hoping they are severe enough for cgc to do something about it, they aren’t expensive books but WTH the flash 49 was a little harder to photograph, but it’s all over the cover 

C669B531-42CC-4510-A816-39587AAE04D0.jpeg

749586E6-4365-4746-BAAD-EA02CAA7F224.jpeg

47ED2F92-0A65-4DC8-90C3-2A09DD2A3AB9.jpeg

Edited by Jking3437