• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

But remember, we're just lowly comic book collectors.

Individually, yes. That's why CGC can 'get away with it'. Collectively....

2 hours ago, Jking3437 said:

I have gotten 2 recent books I purchased off eBay , both being modern books . Flash mattina variants , very cool covers in my opinion. But I can’t display either because of the stupid newton rings, they look terrible. Both books main attractions are the flash’s face, both are blocked out by the rings, you can see them from 6 inches away to almost across the room. Very unhappy lately with Cgc. I’m hoping they are severe enough for cgc to do something about it, they aren’t expensive books but WTH the flash 49 was a little harder to photograph, but it’s all over the cover 

You've purchased a service and product. You're unhappy with it because it has an unsightly production flaw which is totally at odds with the spirit of what an encapsulation process for collectibles from a visual medium should be. You are in the right.

Contact CGC and demand redress. If they refuse, stop using them and spread the word. 

Can someone help me understand one point please - @Ditch Fahrenheit - Ditch, you may be best placed.

I owned 200+ CGC books in my time. They were the first and second generation holders. Not one had NRs that I recall. Of the 10 or so I kept, I can't make NRs appear on any of them by depressing the cases so the plastics touch.

Is the latest 'crystal clear' case (the 3rd generation?) the only one to have the rings? 

Is the phenomenon due to the new case or not?

Anyone?

I'm far from a scientist (actually, probably the farthest one can get), but didn't they change material in the past? Something about losing their Barex manufacturer. I have absolutely no idea if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

I'm far from a scientist (actually, probably the farthest one can get), but didn't they change material in the past? Something about losing their Barex manufacturer. I have absolutely no idea if that makes a difference.

Discussed......:blush:yes, you could say it makes a difference.

5 hours ago, Jking3437 said:

I have gotten 2 recent books I purchased off eBay , both being modern books . Flash mattina variants , very cool covers in my opinion. But I can’t display either because of the stupid newton rings, they look terrible. Both books main attractions are the flash’s face, both are blocked out by the rings, you can see them from 6 inches away to almost across the room. Very unhappy lately with Cgc. I’m hoping they are severe enough for cgc to do something about it, they aren’t expensive books but WTH the flash 49 was a little harder to photograph, but it’s all over the cover 

C669B531-42CC-4510-A816-39587AAE04D0.jpeg

749586E6-4365-4746-BAAD-EA02CAA7F224.jpeg

47ED2F92-0A65-4DC8-90C3-2A09DD2A3AB9.jpeg

Sorry took the pics last night after work , after finding out about this thread, are these books severe enough even to contact Cgc

5 hours ago, Jking3437 said:

C669B531-42CC-4510-A816-39587AAE04D0.jpeg

749586E6-4365-4746-BAAD-EA02CAA7F224.jpeg

47ED2F92-0A65-4DC8-90C3-2A09DD2A3AB9.jpeg

Sorry took the pics last night after work , after finding out about this thread, are these books severe enough even to contact Cgc

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Can someone help me understand one point please - @Ditch Fahrenheit - Ditch, you may be best placed.

I owned 200+ CGC books in my time. They were the first and second generation holders. Not one had NRs that I recall. Of the 10 or so I kept, I can't make NRs appear on any of them by depressing the cases so the plastics touch.

Is the latest 'crystal clear' case (the 3rd generation?) the only one to have the rings? 

Is the phenomenon due to the new case or not?

Anyone?

Yes. All previous version had them to a much smaller degree.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Have you tried sliding a small wedge into the side to separate the outer well from contacting the inner well?

I am curious. Have you done this, and what was the result? Do you by any chance have before and after examples that you could share? If you have done so, what generation Holder was it? If you don't have any photos, is it possible you could do this on a case you have and take before and after results, and identify the Holder and when you received it?

1 hour ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I am curious. Have you done this, and what was the result? Do you by any chance have before and after examples that you could share? If you have done so, what generation Holder was it? If you don't have any photos, is it possible you could do this on a case you have and take before and after results, and identify the Holder and when you received it?

This DOES NOT WORK on the newest holders, because they are completely sealed all the way around.  There is no way to slide or squeeze anything in between the plastic shell.  If you've ever held a new slab in your hand, you can quickly see this.

This trick worked on the old slabs because they were only sealed together on the corners.  I used the "slide a piece of paper in between" trick on a few books I had, and though it did work to get rid of the newton rings, I found that the paper often left scratches on the mylar.  So, even that old method wasn't perfect.

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I had newton rings on the old holders - it bothered me then.  And when they announced "the brand new crystal clear holders with no inner wells!" 3 years ago, I though my Newton Ring days were finally over. We all know how that went...

2 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

magic8ball-replyhazy.png

Have you de-slabbed hundreds of comics?  Did you find examples where just the outer well had Newton rings?  How about just the inner well?  Can you share those examples?  If you don't have any photos, could you do this on a case you have and take before and after results, and identify the Holder (sic) and when you received it?  Have you done any of the things you asked about above, and if so do you have before and after examples that you could share?

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, AndyJibb said:

This DOES NOT WORK on the newest holders, because they are completely sealed all the way around.  There is no way to slide or squeeze anything in between the plastic shell.  If you've ever held a new slab in your hand, you can quickly see this.

This trick worked on the old slabs because they were only sealed together on the corners.  I used the "slide a piece of paper in between" trick on a few books I had, and though it did work to get rid of the newton rings, I found that the paper often left scratches on the mylar.  So, even that old method wasn't perfect.

Thank you. When you say ".....get rid of the Newton rings...." what actually occurred? For instance, were you able to....for want of a different description..."duplicate the rings by pressure, i.e. pushing the shells back together? 

Has anyone used a black light?

12 minutes ago, AndyJibb said:

I had newton rings on the old holders - it bothered me then.  

Yep, the problem is a long-standing one, just the number of cases with it and the severity of the problem have gotten worse.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

For instance, were you able to....for want of a different description..."duplicate the rings by pressure, i.e. pushing the shells back together? 

Absolutely, yes.  Take an old slab and push down on the front cover.  I bet you can get some rings to appear.  

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

magic8ball-replyhazy.png

Have you de-slabbed hundreds of comics?  Did you find examples where just the outer well had Newton rings?  How about just the inner well?  Can you share those examples?  If you don't have any photos, could you do this on a case you have and take before and after results, and identify the Holder (sic) and when you received it?  Have you done any of the things you asked about above, and if so do you have before and after examples that you could share?

No. I have not. I presented the questions because I am not experienced in such undertakings, as I have mentioned. I assumed you had done so, and was interested in the findings. If you do not wish to answer in a constructive manner, it is not a problem.

Just now, The Milkman said:

Absolutely, yes.  Take an old slab and push down on the front cover.  I bet you can get some rings to appear.  

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

If you do not wish to answer in a constructive manner, it is not a problem.

First, ask constructive questions to expect constructive answers.  You're way behind the curve in understanding the history and nature of the problem with the rings, much of which is written about at length already in different threads.

Edited by namisgr