Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
13 13

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

264 members have voted

  1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

    • Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

    • Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

    • Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)


849 posts in this topic

42,367 posts

I'm going to laugh at that weenie gif for days lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,367 posts

ht

giphy.gif

Edited by porcupine48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 posts

I think newton rings add a certain je ne sais quoi.

 

36901593_10155925158531225_3284565523672596480_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,814 posts

At this point I just shrug at them and have learned to accept them.  My latest batch came back with them.   Maybe it was because they were shipped and transported during the summer. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

At this point I just shrug at them and have learned to accept them.  My latest batch came back with them.   Maybe it was because they were shipped and transported during the summer. 

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing :sumo:

 

hm

 

Was that too over the top Buzz? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,814 posts
17 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing :sumo:

 

hm

 

Was that too over the top Buzz? 

Pretty much... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
475 posts

I haven't submitted a book to CGC as it is cost prohibitive. I buy them on the "secondary" market, and have only kept about 20. That pretty much cements that my opinion is worthless to the powers that be. But here is my plugged nickel on it.

Newton rings just bug the $#!t out of me. To me, they are an eyesore. Especially when the cover is mostly black, like my ASM 28. There was only one way to look at it ring free, and that was by tilting it to just the right angle. It bothered me so much, I flipped it to someone who didn't care about the rings. Win win.

Now I try to find out when the book was slabbed. If it was within the past year or so, there is a lot of hesitation about pulling the trigger or not on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
3 hours ago, evilskip said:

I haven't submitted a book to CGC as it is cost prohibitive. I buy them on the "secondary" market, and have only kept about 20. That pretty much cements that my opinion is worthless to the powers that be. But here is my plugged nickel on it.

Newton rings just bug the $#!t out of me. To me, they are an eyesore. Especially when the cover is mostly black, like my ASM 28. There was only one way to look at it ring free, and that was by tilting it to just the right angle. It bothered me so much, I flipped it to someone who didn't care about the rings. Win win.

Now I try to find out when the book was slabbed. If it was within the past year or so, there is a lot of hesitation about pulling the trigger or not on it.

Thanks for voting evilskip, and for adding your opinion. 

59 votes so far. Will we make 100? 

:wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,679 posts
12 hours ago, rkretz said:

I think newton rings add a certain je ne sais quoi.

 

36901593_10155925158531225_3284565523672596480_o.jpg

Reminded me of this clip :foryou: lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,652 posts

So it’s a QC problem AND normal and acceptable? It’s one hell of a QC issue considering how common the anecdotal evidence seems to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts

Hi Dena,

I started this self explanatory poll just under a week ago and 63 respected board members have voted. Here are the results at the time of writing:

1.thumb.PNG.491452786cf2a4e4b54fafab83fda169.PNG

Would you be able to bring this to the attention of the CGC executive team for us please? What we would like is for them to post an update here in relation to the 'Newton Ring' problem which is troubling many of us as the results of the poll clearly show. There have been a number of threads about the problem recently, some of which include third hand accounts of CGC team members feelings, but there is no definitive statement which sets out what CGC's official position is.

Is this something you can do on behalf of those that have voted? I'm working on the assumption that the Admin Team have contacts with the CGC Exec, given that you administer their website. It would be great if a message could be posted here in the announcements forum or perhaps on the main website? 

Thanks for your help :)

@dena

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 posts
On 7/24/2018 at 8:13 AM, Buzzetta said:

At this point I just shrug at them and have learned to accept them.  My latest batch came back with them.   Maybe it was because they were shipped and transported during the summer. 

I have wondered about the season as well. I had one batch delivered in the winter last year and another in early Spring this year and not one had Newton Rings. They were perfectly crystal clear. Then a third & fourth batch in June/July and everyone one of them had them ... bad. I'm wondering during transport on a hot Fedex truck, if the heat expansion causes it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,967 posts
On 7/26/2018 at 4:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Hi Dena,

I started this self explanatory poll just under a week ago and 63 respected board members have voted. Here are the results at the time of writing:

1.thumb.PNG.491452786cf2a4e4b54fafab83fda169.PNG

Would you be able to bring this to the attention of the CGC executive team for us please? What we would like is for them to post an update here in relation to the 'Newton Ring' problem which is troubling many of us as the results of the poll clearly show. There have been a number of threads about the problem recently, some of which include third hand accounts of CGC team members feelings, but there is no definitive statement which sets out what CGC's official position is.

Is this something you can do on behalf of those that have voted? I'm working on the assumption that the Admin Team have contacts with the CGC Exec, given that you administer their website. It would be great if a message could be posted here in the announcements forum or perhaps on the main website? 

Thanks for your help :)

@dena

 

 

Hi Dena, sorry to chase, but is this something you'll be able to help us with? It has the backing of over 90% of 73 voters now. If not I'll forward it by other means. Thanks :foryou: @dena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,195 posts

Silence is bad. Communication is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
13 13