• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

The people I worked with were quite nice, but I have to single out Brad, he was fantastic. 

The only issue I have is they knocked a corner off my Wonder Woman #50.

Did you have to pay the slabbing fee a second time when they did re-holder your books?

That is horrible story to hear about your WW #50, that only would be enough to make me very reluctant to re-send them books. I hope that they did compensate you for the damage.

Just now, pickycollector said:

Did you have to pay the slabbing fee a second time when they did re-holder your books?

That is horrible story to hear about your WW #50, that only would be enough to make me very reluctant to re-send them books. I hope that they did compensate you for the damage.

I was traveling and have not had time to ask about compensation, but thanks for reminding me, I'm going to call. They did send the piece back to me.

No, I didn't have to pay the slabbing fee, but I did have to lay out the postage and they said they would refund it. At first they gave me a credit, but when I wrote they said they would send me a check. Of course I don't have the check yet, but  I expect it will arrive.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I was traveling and have not had time to ask about compensation, but thanks for reminding me, I'm going to call. They did send the piece back to me.

No, I didn't have to pay the slabbing fee, but I did have to lay out the postage and they said they would refund it. At first they gave me a credit, but when I wrote they said they would send me a check. Of course I don't have the check yet, but  I expect it will arrive.

Whom should I contact at CGC to have some holders replaced at no cost? PM me if you prefer, thanks!

20 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Whom should I contact at CGC to have some holders replaced at no cost? PM me if you prefer, thanks!

The first post of this thread is very helpful :foryou: 

23 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Am I getting paranoid here?

Yes.

Newton rings have nothing to do with the book inside the slab and everything to do with the slab itself.

23 hours ago, pickycollector said:

I am not an engineer but could there be a correlation between pressing and Newton rings?

I know it sounds crazy but all CGC books that I have purchased from the new generation have some Newton rings, more or less depending of the books. The only ones that have no Newton rings at all from the new slab generation are the ones I did submit myself and that I know have not been pressed. Is this just coincidence? Am I getting paranoid here?

I don't think any of us here drives a train. But on to your other point. None of my books have been pressed and they have newton rings. I have 1 book without the rings and that was received after talk of the fix.

9 hours ago, I like pie said:

Any updates on recent subs? Still holding off on submitting a large pre screen....

Should be getting a few back soon that CGC agreed to let me submit for reholdering due to the severity of the Newton Rings. Will post the results here (before and after) as soon as I have them in hand.

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

Different case or anything?

Nothing that I can notice. I didn't think to take measurements or anything, but in comparison to a slab from a shipment received last month (that has moderate Newton Rings) they appear to be the same size. (shrug)

9 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Happy to say, as I believe it was a comment in an e-mail I received that launched this thread, that based on the results after having my signed ASM 50 reholdered that CGC agrees Newton Rings are not normal or acceptable. This was the first slab CGC sent me, taken at an angle to emphasize the severity of the rings:

20180819_152220.thumb.jpg.af8f845ff5fef09d0d654cb59b50b26f.jpg

This is the same comic in the new slab:

20181105_194315.thumb.jpg.182de3435d3962435137df4d054abd76.jpg

As you can see, Newton Ring free! I had four slabs reholdered and all came back in beautiful crystal-clear cases of the quality I would expect from CGC. Big thanks to both Bree Palmer and @Brittany M. for finally getting this issue straightened out (zero charge, free shipping and three week turnaround). Let's hope going forward that Newton Rings are a thing of the past. :wishluck:

I still have not been reimbursed for the shipping I paid back in the end of August. At first I heard nothing, then I was told I was getting a credit. When I said I wanted a check, I was told it would take a few weeks, that was more than a month ago. I reminded Mr Patel 2 weeks ago, still no check.

So you are doing well:) I also got my books back, but it took longer than it did for you and I had to make a few extra phone calls. 

9 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Happy to say, as I believe it was a comment in an e-mail I received that launched this thread, that based on the results after having my signed ASM 50 reholdered that CGC agrees Newton Rings are not normal or acceptable. This was the first slab CGC sent me, taken at an angle to emphasize the severity of the rings:

20180819_152220.thumb.jpg.af8f845ff5fef09d0d654cb59b50b26f.jpg

This is the same comic in the new slab:

20181105_194315.thumb.jpg.182de3435d3962435137df4d054abd76.jpg

I'm still trying to imagine how a book like this got through quality control the first time around.  The person is charge of quality control is a very important job, CGC.  Put your best person on it.  If my work looked like this, I would have been out of business a long time ago.  

5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I'm still trying to imagine how a book like this got through quality control the first time around.  The person is charge of quality control is a very important job, CGC.  Put your best person on it.  If my work looked like this, I would have been out of business a long time ago.  

Is it possible that there is no quality control for newton rings and that they are only 'fixing' these for customers (ie the squeaky wheel minority) that complain? 

6 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Is it possible that there is no quality control for newton rings and that they are only 'fixing' these for customers (ie the squeaky wheel minority) that complain? 

I believe there are 3 people listed under quality control, or there were the last time I looked. However, you have a point, that's a business model many people use.

8 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

2 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Well, from what I have seen, the minority is growing rapidly.  Kinda like a contagious outbreak.  It starts out slow, then spreads.  Books with heavy newton rings are hitting auction houses.  Buyers are complaining.  I hear one auction house isn't putting their watermark on books scanned with newton rings.  New people are coming to the boards to find out what's going on.  Many are holding off on submissions.  Some are taking their books elsewhere.  Now is the time for CGC to fix this once and for all.  

9 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

If I was going to speculate, based on businesses I've been involved with at a production level, I would bet that the newton ring issue was noticed by QC but a decision was made at a higher level to continue using the materials creating the problem as it is far more cost effective to offer free reholdering to the customers who come back and complain than it is to scrap all that material and/or face huge delays in production while waiting for replacement supply.

35 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Bingo