• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, I like pie said:

The most frustrating thing, for me, is that CGC has the ability to get these out without rings.

I submit multiple copies of the same book all the time. Two would come back Newton free but one will have them. 

Now if you email them to reholder that one, they will tell you, "Ok but we can't guarantee it will be any better!" ¬¬

Mad react

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

The most frustrating thing, for me, is that CGC has the ability to get these out without rings.

I submit multiple copies of the same book all the time. Two would come back Newton free but one will have them. 

Now if you email them to reholder that one, they will tell you, "Ok but we can't guarantee it will be any better!" ¬¬

Submitted two G.I. Joe #1s at the same time and one came back in a pristine holder, and the other looked like it was dipped in oil. Thankfully, CGC re-slabbed the book for “free” (less the outgoing shipping cost and I had to wait three weeks to get it back), but 100% agree that there’s no way these defective slabs should get to the customer. 

28 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:

Submitted two G.I. Joe #1s at the same time and one came back in a pristine holder, and the other looked like it was dipped in oil. Thankfully, CGC re-slabbed the book for “free” (less the outgoing shipping cost and I had to wait three weeks to get it back), but 100% agree that there’s no way these defective slabs should get to the customer. 

I'd call them about return shipping. I just email accounting my receipt and they credit my account. 

I've read messages by members stating that NRs don't bother them in the least. While it is extremely difficult for me to understand this, if I try really hard I can do it. One thing I'll never fathom, though, is how anyone can state that,given a choice between NRs and no NRs, they'd prefer to leave it as is.

6 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I can't believe there are 27 people satisfied with CGCs response. 26 people feel the current holders should be left as is. Do we have blind members or voldy trolls lurking about?

44 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I've read messages by members stating that NRs don't bother them in the least. While it is extremely difficult for me to understand this, if I try really hard I can do it. One thing I'll never fathom, though, is how anyone can state that,given a choice between NRs and no NRs, they'd prefer to leave it as is.

I used the phrase "Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?" for question #1 deliberately as that was the widely reported response that CGC were said to be giving out at the time. If you take the notion that two plastics touching produces the prism effect literally, then I can see why you would answer 'yes' to that question. Those people are just agreeing with CGC's stance and have the right to their opinion. I also indicated that members were free to state a different view if they had one that didn't fit the voting categories. Also, there will always be people that respond, shall we say, "against the grain", for a variety of reasons.

Maybe I could have phrased the opening question "are excessive Newton Rings....", but then you are into the debate about what is excessive and who determines that - company or customer?  

The questions overall, I feel, get to the nub of the matter: Are visual distortions acceptable, in any degree, on a product that exists to showcase a visual medium? 

The response percentages tell their own story. 

There's nothing more to say about it in my view. The ball is in CGC's court. As I said earlier, if you get your submission back ring free, you'll likely be delighted. They look great don't they! And you may well be in the vast majority. If you don't, you're gutted. If CGC dealt with the latter scenario adequately, and communicated more effectively, maybe these threads wouldn't exist. 

19 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Sucks so hear this is still an issue, I thought it had been mostly resolved. Would be interested in seeing some recent examples. 

Read to your hearts desire, this thread gets posted in more than the one we're in

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/14/2019 at 5:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I used the phrase "Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?" for question #1 deliberately as that was the widely reported response that CGC were said to be giving out at the time. If you take the notion that two plastics touching produces the prism effect literally, then I can see why you would answer 'yes' to that question. Those people are just agreeing with CGC's stance and have the right to their opinion. I also indicated that members were free to state a different view if they had one that didn't fit the voting categories. Also, there will always be people that respond, shall we say, "against the grain", for a variety of reasons.

Maybe I could have phrased the opening question "are excessive Newton Rings....", but then you are into the debate about what is excessive and who determines that - company or customer?  

The questions overall, I feel, get to the nub of the matter: Are visual distortions acceptable, in any degree, on a product that exists to showcase a visual medium? 

The response percentages tell their own story. 

There's nothing more to say about it in my view. The ball is in CGC's court. As I said earlier, if you get your submission back ring free, you'll likely be delighted. They look great don't they! And you may well be in the vast majority. If you don't, you're gutted. If CGC dealt with the latter scenario adequately, and communicated more effectively, maybe these threads wouldn't exist. 

I completely agree with you and I'm also waiting to submit books until holders are fixed for more reasons than just the NR.

It also might have to do with material ordering although I have no idea how many books are encapsulated in any given time. When the new engineered slabs were introduced, they likely purchased on contract large quantities of preform material that can't just be canceled or returned. As they likely tried alternative methods, they couldn't find a solution in time, thus we are in this endless cycle of no fix...maybe.

Although as I think about it, preform plastics can't possibly hit their margins that much considering how much we pay for slabbing.

Regardless, I just want the old slabs back. I could care less about optics and whether they use fancy plastic.

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

Oh I get it. Experiment on the enemy so we can eliminate it forever? 

I’m not sure what you mean by that. I don’t consider cgc the enemy, but I do think it would be interesting to see if the inner sleeve can be manipulated to create Newton Rings without the presence of a book inside.

29 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

I’m not sure what you mean by that. I don’t consider cgc the enemy, but I do think it would be interesting to see if the inner sleeve can be manipulated to create Newton Rings without the presence of a book inside.

Not CGC, although it's pretty lame they haven't followed up in a long time, but the newton rings themselves.