• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to restore and fix a spine roll with just an iron
1 1

90 posts in this topic

So, I had heard of people pressing comics before with just an iron, and decided to give it a try. I tried just ironing out waviness, and water damage, however I found the iron to be less effective with that sort of defect. (although it will get rid of it, just with a lot of work and time) However I found an iron is the perfect way to get rid of spine rolls on a comic. All I did was put the iron with NO steam on the highest setting, realigned the roll across from the spine, held it down with my hand, and slowly ironed over the spine. I had to do this a couple of times per spine roll, so as to not rip the staples, and to do it more cleanly. I also did not iron the comic directly, I ironed it with a piece of parchment paper on top, and a flat piece of wood underneath. I ironed it by swiveling and shimmying the iron all along the spine, as I would a shirt. Make sure to not just leave the iron stationary as it might leave creases and dents from the edge of the iron. Also make sure to check for the paper getting burnt, be also aware that sometimes after prolonged iron contact the inks might be brought of the page on to the parchment paper. The results, for me, where very good, and I was very impressed with what I could do with just about 15 mins a spine roll. Check out the results below.

I attached a lot of before and after pics, they're not perfect, but there is definitely an improvement in grade and presentability, about an 0.5-1.0 bump in grade (IMO). I might've gone a little overkill with pictures, but I'm just trying to show you all I've done. I pressed out even more spine rolls, and major creases with other books. 

Really anyone can do this, its super easy, and just takes some experimentation, so use a crappy $1 book, and see what you can do. 

Next time you think about sending a book to get pressed, check out this post, and feel free to inquire of any details on how to do this.

wrldfcornerT.JPG

wrlfcornerTP.JPG

flashcornerB.JPG

flashcornerBP.JPG

flashcornerT.JPG

flashcornerTP.JPG

BPcornerB.JPG

BPcornerBP.JPG

BPcornerT.JPG

BPcornerTP.JPG

BPrightcornerT.JPG

BPrightcornerTP.JPG

BPstapleB.JPG

BPstapleBP.JPG

BPstapleT.JPG

BPstapleTP.JPG

BPfull.JPG

presslayout.JPG

Edited by HuddyBee

8 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

To better protect the comic, iron it in the mylar !  

SlightlyConcave.jpeg

Steady Bob. Remember you're one of the helpful ones :wink:

21 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Steady Bob. Remember you're one of the helpful ones :wink:

HaHa ! In this case, I do not want to help this guy at all.I don't really care if he wants to ruin his own comics but what scares me is that he may put this stuff into the marketplace.  And his final comment.. 'Next time you think about sending a book to get pressed, check out this post, and feel free to inquire of any details on how to do this.' really scares me. Does he really think he is doing a community service here ? Does he really believe he can do better work with an iron then a professional presser ?

Edited by Bomber-Bob

The OP is the same guy who likes PGX and recommends using their pressing services. He is clearly offering us sensible advice.

'Yeah, I understand why you wouldn't trust PGX, I do and I'd be fine with it, but I understand. To each is own, eh?' 'I realize y'all hate PGX since we're on the CGC boards, but you can just get it pressed by them for about no more than $100 if you add additional fees. So... expensive???'

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

From what I understand about pressing, it's not only a science, but an art as well. It's hard for me to accept that using a common iron for this purpose is either of those things...(shrug)

You clearly haven't seen my shirts then.

30 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

HaHa ! In this case, I do not want to help this guy at all.I don't really care if he wants to ruin his own comics but what scares me is that he may put this stuff into the marketplace.  And his final comment.. 'Next time you think about sending a book to get pressed, check out this post, and feel free to inquire of any details on how to do this.' really scares me. Does he really think he is doing a community service here ? Does he really believe he can do better work with an iron then a professional presser ?

Maybe he's a urine extractor Bob. 

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

What about your slacks?Are you saying pants to the razor creases in your trousers then?

I don't iron them Jim! Too big, with all they have to carry around. Keys and stuff I mean.

I did a golf joke earlier. Did you miss it? It's on the telly and everything. Cutting edge.