• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to restore and fix a spine roll with just an iron
1 1

90 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, HuddyBee said:

PGX isn't doing anything worthy of being shutdown. Who's going to shut them down? They aren't doing anything illegal. PGX is known to sometimes give 1.0 grades to incomplete books. Grading is subjective, and I would be more mad at CGC in this case, because there is no such this as a "qualified 0.5" it should just be an 0.5 or a qualified 1.0. I don't see the problem here. Both are independent companies giving their "opinion" on the grade of the book. I only buy raw because then I know what I'm getting. I inspect the book, and if its incomplete I get a refund. Buy the book not the grade. The buyer here should have inspected his book before it was sent to CGC, gotten a refund since it was not disclosed that the book was incomplete, or taken it up with PGX. Problem solved.

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

Her ya go!

On 1/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, HuddyBee said:

PGX isn't doing anything worthy of being shutdown. Who's going to shut them down? They aren't doing anything illegal. PGX is known to sometimes give 1.0 grades to incomplete books. Grading is subjective, and I would be more mad at CGC in this case, because there is no such this as a "qualified 0.5" it should just be an 0.5 or a qualified 1.0. I don't see the problem here. Both are independent companies giving their "opinion" on the grade of the book. I only buy raw because then I know what I'm getting. I inspect the book, and if its incomplete I get a refund. Buy the book not the grade. The buyer here should have inspected his book before it was sent to CGC, gotten a refund since it was not disclosed that the book was incomplete, or taken it up with PGX. Problem solved.

You are quite mistaken.

From this thread:

"The problem with this thread and its premise is that it indirectly implies that PGX is a legitimate competitor to CGC.

It is not.

PGX has a documented history of fraud and collusion, going back well over a decade, and which has not changed with the passage of time.

It's not about the ability to grade. It's never been about the ability to grade, as grading is subjective.

It's about the fact that PGX has routinely and consistently engaged in illegal and fraudulent behavior, and I defy Daniel Patterson to take me to court over my allegation. These are very serious allegations, and I am well aware of the very serious potential consequences of my public statements if I have misrepresented or mischaracterized PGX and/or its owner, Daniel Patterson. 

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

That's just the start.

For those interested, what I believe is the relevant statute is found here:

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/164.085

2017 ORS 164.085¹ 

Theft by deception:

(1)A person, who obtains property of another thereby, commits theft by deception when, with intent to defraud, the person:

(a)Creates or confirms another’s false impression of law, value, intention or other state of mind that the actor does not believe to be true;

(b)Fails to correct a false impression that the person previously created or confirmed;

(c)Prevents another from acquiring information pertinent to the disposition of the property involved;

It is my opinion that the activities described in the site linked above, as well as numerous other examples, clearly demonstrates theft by deception on PGX' part. By characterizing restored books as unrestored, AND digitally attempting to "cover up" such deception (it's always the cover up that does you in), they have knowingly created a false impression of value in the minds of the customers of PGX slabs. PGX should not be judged on their ability to grade, but should be rejected because it and he have proven themselves unworthy of even basic trust.

It is also my opinion that buying PGX books is the same as buying raw books, with the same right to inspection as anything else purchased over the internet and that, despite the opinions of some, a "slabbed comic" does NOT represent a whole unit or product, but rather represents an item with value, ie, the comic itself, to which is attached an appraisal of condition, and the buyer is not violating any sort of contractual agreement of any kind by removing the attached appraisal (that is, the slab), and having it appraised by another company who also engages in such appraisals for a fee.

In other words: if you sell me a PGX book, and I crack it and have it submitted to CGC, and they find a defect that is materially different (not merely a subjective difference of opinion as to its condition), then I retain all right of return of that item, even though it has been removed from its PGX case, because that case is not a product that has any value in and of itself...it's just the container to discourage the use of that specific opinion for that specific item on another item of lesser condition.

And...I believe if it ever reached a court of law, that court would find precisely the same thing: a slab does not create a "new product" which must be returned intact for the buyer to be made whole, but is merely an appraisal, and the buyer has a right to seek an independent appraisal of his or her own, without forfeiting his rights in the process.

In any event...long story short, PGX's grading ability is utterly insignificant relative to their fraudulent and unethical behavior since their founding. Each PGX slab should be treated exactly as a raw book, and examined as diligently as anyone would a raw example."

37 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

:whatthe:

Holy goosh nuggets! Greenie! Yer back! 

:D

I AM!!!! How the heckhave you been!!! :)

1 minute ago, Green said:

I AM!!!! How the heckhave you been!!! :)

Oh, you know...the usual CGC board nonsense. People love you, people hate you, people think you're the Devil. 

I think of you every time I look at my Hulk #393 no foil. :D

STILL have never gotten a #377 3rd, can you believe it?

Setting books aside for a Keown/David opportunity that may never come, but I DID manage to get a #425 signed by Liam last year!

:cloud9:

Hulk #330-467, still one of the greatest runs in all of comics history.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh, you know...the usual CGC board nonsense. People love you, people hate you, people think you're the Devil. 

I think of you every time I look at my Hulk #393 no foil. :D

STILL have never gotten a #377 3rd, can you believe it?

Setting books aside for a Keown/David opportunity that may never come, but I DID manage to get a #425 signed by Liam last year!

:cloud9:

Hulk #330-467, still one of the greatest runs in all of comics history.

Nice! have any other 393 whites been spotted? Or any 400 foilless? Id probably pay stupid money for a 400 with no foil.

Why is a keown/david opp unlikely?

Ithink i have finally sold off all my extra 377 3rds....long gone are the days of snagging them for 2 bucks it seems lol. Never did get that 9.8 :( 3 heartbreaker 9.6s

Just now, Green said:

Nice! have any other 393 whites been spotted? Or any 400 foilless? Id probably pay stupid money for a 400 with no foil.

Why is a keown/david opp unlikely?

Ithink i have finally sold off all my extra 377 3rds....long gone are the days of snagging them for 2 bucks it seems lol. Never did get that 9.8 :( 3 heartbreaker 9.6s

I just never seem to be where Dale is, and who the hell knows what sort of madness David is doing with CGC these days.

I've been on the hunt for #400 no foils, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they'd ironed out all the details, and none exist.

I've never seen any other #393 no foils. I can't believe I got mine. I guess people just didn't know what they were looking at.

How have you been? Were you not collecting for a while? Tired of the board? 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I just never seem to be where Dale is, and who the hell knows what sort of madness David is doing with CGC these days.

I've been on the hunt for #400 no foils, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they'd ironed out all the details, and none exist.

I've never seen any other #393 no foils. I can't believe I got mine. I guess people just didn't know what they were looking at.

How have you been? Were you not collecting for a while? Tired of the board? 

Just busy and kind of faded away from it. I would still snag a book here or there on ebay but for the most part i had chilled out on personal collecting. Ive got myself spread pretty thin these days but i sure do miss it. Im still at heroescon every year and do 2 local shows a year here in fayetteville.

Really hoping youre wrong about the 400s, dont crush my dreams. A ...425? without the hologram would be so sick too....whats behind it?? i need to know!

1 minute ago, Green said:

Just busy and kind of faded away from it. I would still snag a book here or there on ebay but for the most part i had chilled out on personal collecting. Ive got myself spread pretty thin these days but i sure do miss it. Im still at heroescon every year and do 2 local shows a year here in fayetteville.

Really hoping youre wrong about the 400s, dont crush my dreams. A ...425? without the hologram would be so sick too....whats behind it?? i need to know!

They're cheap and common, just buy one and scrape it off! :D

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

They're cheap and common, just buy one and scrape it off! :D

Maybe i can iron it off :insane: