How to restore and fix a spine roll with just an iron
4 4

90 posts in this topic

1,439 posts
On 7/22/2018 at 1:20 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

The iron takes too long. Here's a much better way !

 

$_57.JPG

I'd try this but I don't think that my wife would allow the car in the living room...

Edited by pemart1966

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229 posts

Not to rat on this guy, but when this is how other people are fixing spine roles. I think my method can prove quite helpful.

Just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,803 posts
1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

I'd try this but I don't think that my wife would allow the car in the living room...

Great observation. It really does look like a living room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,803 posts
1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

Not to rat on this guy, but when this is how other people are fixing spine roles. I think my method can prove quite helpful.

Just sayin.

I'm confused. It didn't seem to work. I saw no improvement in the spine roll. Good way to pop a staple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,921 posts
52 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm confused. It didn't seem to work. I saw no improvement in the spine roll. Good way to pop a staple.

That is one of the scariest videos I've ever seen.  :facepalm:  Please don't ever try this, you will wreck your comics, pop staples, and swear a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,763 posts

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,803 posts

To be fair, the OP is using this video to show his methods aren't as bad as some others. This is true. If the OP wants to use an iron on his books, that's fine. However, I don't think these books should ever be placed into the marketplace. As mentioned by someone else, the memory of the original spine will probably come back. To iron these and sell them, while they are 'hot', as a higher grade is not ethical. I've had books revert in the slab. Trust me, it's a sick feeling to see an expensive book you bought in 8.0, morph into a 7.0, while in the slab. It happens if the press is not done properly. One thing for sure, I would never buy a book from the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229 posts
35 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

To be fair, the OP is using this video to show his methods aren't as bad as some others. This is true. If the OP wants to use an iron on his books, that's fine. However, I don't think these books should ever be placed into the marketplace. As mentioned by someone else, the memory of the original spine will probably come back. To iron these and sell them, while they are 'hot', as a higher grade is not ethical. I've had books revert in the slab. Trust me, it's a sick feeling to see an expensive book you bought in 8.0, morph into a 7.0, while in the slab. It happens if the press is not done properly. One thing for sure, I would never buy a book from the OP.

I have noticed one of my books, the spine roll coming back, but I'm sure with better and more pressing/ironing and more practice, I could actually get it to stay. However I do realize that ironing it can speed up the aging process, and too much "pressing" might actually noticeably damage the book. But I think if after you press it and leave it under a book for 12+ hours, you put it in a tight mylar, ie 3-4 boards, it will be less likely to revert back to its original state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,921 posts
2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

To be fair, the OP is using this video to show his methods aren't as bad as some others. This is true. If the OP wants to use an iron on his books, that's fine. However, I don't think these books should ever be placed into the marketplace. As mentioned by someone else, the memory of the original spine will probably come back. To iron these and sell them, while they are 'hot', as a higher grade is not ethical. I've had books revert in the slab. Trust me, it's a sick feeling to see an expensive book you bought in 8.0, morph into a 7.0, while in the slab. It happens if the press is not done properly. One thing for sure, I would never buy a book from the OP.

Do you by any chance, have a photo example of what you're referring to? (comic in slab changing it's spine alignment).  I would think once it's sealed in the mylar it would stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,803 posts
38 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Do you by any chance, have a photo example of what you're referring to? (comic in slab changing it's spine alignment).  I would think once it's sealed in the mylar it would stay. 

In my case, it wasn't the spine alignment but the return of numerous spine creases. This was a 5K key slabbed as 8.0 . Trust me, I stared at that book upon buying it, had it memorized in my mind. I put it in a safety deposit box and return, maybe 9 months or so, later for a visit. I felt like I was punched in the stomach. Looked like a classic example of a 7.0 with numerous spine creases. I no longer have the book = no after pics. This stuff happens. That's why I frown upon amateur pressing and 'quick' professional pressing. To properly press a book, it needs attention. Whenever somebody shows an example of an overgraded book, say a 9.6 with numerous spine crease, I always assume it was not a case of a bad grade, just a bad press that reverted. I'm also careful of avoiding spines with that wafer thin look. A properly pressed book should retain some plumpness on the spine. Regarding the spine realignment, I have heard, unless it's done properly, the book is very much inclined to revert.  I am pretty sure the examples the OP is showing us would eventually revert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,921 posts
35 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In my case, it wasn't the spine alignment but the return of numerous spine creases. This was a 5K key slabbed as 8.0 . Trust me, I stared at that book upon buying it, had it memorized in my mind. I put it in a safety deposit box and return, maybe 9 months or so, later for a visit. I felt like I was punched in the stomach. Looked like a classic example of a 7.0 with numerous spine creases. I no longer have the book = no after pics. This stuff happens. That's why I frown upon amateur pressing and 'quick' professional pressing. To properly press a book, it needs attention. Whenever somebody shows an example of an overgraded book, say a 9.6 with numerous spine crease, I always assume it was not a case of a bad grade, just a bad press that reverted. I'm also careful of avoiding spines with that wafer thin look. A properly pressed book should retain some plumpness on the spine. Regarding the spine realignment, I have heard, unless it's done properly, the book is very much inclined to revert.  I am pretty sure the examples the OP is showing us would eventually revert. 

Hmmmm.... So the CCS "Quick Press" might be just a money grab.  I've used that service before and when my books came back from CGC I honestly couldn't tell anything had been pressed out.  I could still see the same shallow dimples that I thought would be pressed out.

A real press has a humidity & a heat element to it , right?  Whereas a "quick press" is probably just a heat press.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,574 posts
1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

Hmmmm.... So the CCS "Quick Press" might be just a money grab.  I've used that service before and when my books came back from CGC I honestly couldn't tell anything had been pressed out.  I could still see the same shallow dimples that I thought would be pressed out.

A real press has a humidity & a heat element to it , right?  Whereas a "quick press" is probably just a heat press.

I can't imagine anyone Quick Pressing a $5k book.  Not saying it didn't happen but it doesn't make sense to save a couple bucks on a book where every possible grade increment represents hundreds of $$.

Yes, humidity and heat gives the best results.  I'm not sure what the pros consider a quick press.  Could be just heat or it could be heat and humidity but no effort to clean the book or tack iron problem spots.

Books can certainly revert to prior condition if incorrectly pressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,477 posts
4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Hmmmm.... So the CCS "Quick Press" might be just a money grab.  I've used that service before and when my books came back from CGC I honestly couldn't tell anything had been pressed out.  I could still see the same shallow dimples that I thought would be pressed out.

A real press has a humidity & a heat element to it , right?  Whereas a "quick press" is probably just a heat press.

From my understanding, CCS's "quick" press involves only pressing the book once, whereas with the regular press, they repeat the process until all perusable defects have been removed. So with the quick press, there could still be some pressable defects remaining after the process.

I have always assumed that humidity was used in both processes, it's just the number of "passes" the book gets on the press that differs. That and screening the book first to see if it is a good candidate for pressing. Like I said though, this is an assumption. From the CGC / CCS site under the description of "quick press":

Quote

 

QuickPress is a fast and inexpensive alternative to our multi-step standard Pressing service. It includes the removal of the same defects as regular pressing (dents, bends, crunches, rippling, warping, spine rolls and indentions) and includes dry cleaning as well. For expediency, QuickPress comics only pass through the process once; any remaining defects will not be further treated as they normally would during the full pressing process.

The best candidates for QuickPress tend to be high-grade moderns, which exhibit very few flaws to remove, and mid to low-grade books that have a large number of pressable defects. The QuickPress service is also ideal for raw comics to enhance their appearance in hand.

To maintain the low cost and speed of this tier, CCS does not offer the Screening service for QuickPress. As a result, please check all QuickPress submissions to insure the comics are not fragile, including tanning, brittleness, splitting spines, weak staple areas or pieces that are barely attached.

 

The last part that I bolded there seems to indicate that with the quick-press, they'll just press anything that's thrown at them, even if it may damage the book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,803 posts
1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Hmmmm.... So the CCS "Quick Press" might be just a money grab.  I've used that service before and when my books came back from CGC I honestly couldn't tell anything had been pressed out.  I could still see the same shallow dimples that I thought would be pressed out.

A real press has a humidity & a heat element to it , right?  Whereas a "quick press" is probably just a heat press.

IMO, the quick press is okay when it's 9.6/9.8 range with no creases, just light surface folds. Otherwise, IMO, I don't think it's very useful. A vintage book with vintage flaws needs proper attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,763 posts
38 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, the quick press is okay when it's 9.6/9.8 range with no creases, just light surface folds. Otherwise, IMO, I don't think it's very useful. A vintage book with vintage flaws needs proper attention. 

I've actually had very good results with the "quick press" technique...but it helps to know which flaws will react more favorably with this procedure. In my view, a severe spine roll needs a more comprehensive approach...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 posts
On 7/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, HuddyBee said:

Come on now, really?? Its a piece of junky wood man, lets just take a chill pill and relax.

Hey I'll defend PGX all day. Lets go. What you got, huh?

 

Lets just all remember PGX, or CGC, or Voldy, Iron or pressing services, rich or poor, even if some of us are more primitive than others in our collecting methods, we all love comics here. Alright? :) 

Defend PGX!?!?

This is why they need to be shut down. 

E3C076CF-6D77-4318-B41F-6F1E750C44EE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,942 posts
On 7/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, joeypost said:

That was me.

You are not alone. I tried it once but I decided to buy the pressing machine. I love it ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229 posts
On 12/31/2018 at 1:06 PM, devco said:

Defend PGX!?!?

This is why they need to be shut down. 

E3C076CF-6D77-4318-B41F-6F1E750C44EE.jpeg

PGX isn't doing anything worthy of being shutdown. Who's going to shut them down? They aren't doing anything illegal. PGX is known to sometimes give 1.0 grades to incomplete books. Grading is subjective, and I would be more mad at CGC in this case, because there is no such this as a "qualified 0.5" it should just be an 0.5 or a qualified 1.0. I don't see the problem here. Both are independent companies giving their "opinion" on the grade of the book. I only buy raw because then I know what I'm getting. I inspect the book, and if its incomplete I get a refund. Buy the book not the grade. The buyer here should have inspected his book before it was sent to CGC, gotten a refund since it was not disclosed that the book was incomplete, or taken it up with PGX. Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,575 posts
20 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

PGX isn't doing anything worthy of being shutdown. Who's going to shut them down? They aren't doing anything illegal. 

When they encapsulate a book with the cover married to an interior from a different comic altogether, make no mention of it on the label, and then profit from the subsequent sale of the comic, they may be doing something illegal called fraud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4