• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scanning art app
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I was also recommended the Office Lens app and I used it for some comics but haven't tried it on OA, will download the 2 recommended here and see the results. Would any of those apps be able to get a 600 dpi resolution? I use my scanner but for bigger sized items I have had to learn to use Photoshop to stitch art together but they never fit perfectly!

I've been playing with CamScanner the past few days after downloading, and it is really impressive. The program is intuitively easy to figure out; good at guessing image cropping size while letting you make adjustments if its proposed cropping of the image is wrong; includes coloration adjustments and easily lets me email things to myself (or others). I'm not too thrilled with the ads, and I still have to figure out if what I think are limitations are just me not knowing how to run it yet. But at the price of zero plus ad views, it's hard to beat.

Not answering your question, but CamScanner was removed from the PlayStore (and later reinstated) because it was carrying malware.

According to security firm Kaspersky, the malicious code was spotted in several CamScanner updates published between June and July. Researchers identified the code as Trojan Dropper, software also discovered in some pre-installed apps on Chinese smartphones.

Trojan Dropper extracts and runs other malicious code from an encrypted file in the APK. The other malicious code was identified as Trojan Downloader, which downloads other malicious code based on what the app creator wants to do. For example, CamScanner showed intrusive ads and signed up some users to paid subscriptions they didn’t consent to.

In a statement released on Twitter today, CamScanner placed the blame on a third-party advertising SDK provided by AdHub. According to CamScanner, the SDK was reported for containing the Trojan Dropper module and producing “unauthorized advertising clicks.” The app maker also said it “will take immediate legal actions against AdHub.”

There's got to be something better out there.

I recently started using Microsoft Lens as well as CamScanner (I have the pro-version). I think CamScanner does a better job with colors than Microsoft Lens, but I find MS Lens simpler to use especially for exporting images to my Photos archive on my iPhone. It is free without ads.

Yes, CamScanner for Android had cyber-security issues (since corrected), but the iOs/iPhone version did not.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:26 AM, Stefanomjr said:

Interesting, thanks. Downloading now and looking forward to trying it out on my next purchase :)

Haven't been too happy with the quality of recent scans...probably more to do with the lighting in the house/room than anything else.....just realized I can bring my art into the office and use the office Canon 4251 to scan some art that isn't behind glass...not sure why it took me this long to think of that! Glad I hadn't shelled out cash for a home scanner

Edited by Stefanomjr
Tense

48 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Haven't been too happy with the quality of recent scans...probably more to do with the lighting in the house/room than anything else.....just realized I can bring my art into the office and use the office Canon 4251 to scan some art that isn't behind glass...not sure why it took me this long to think of that! Glad I hadn't shelled out cash for a home scanner

I use office /work scanners all the time. Most are faster too, you just hit send each time right at the copier, while at home I have to walk back to my computer to re-scan

Malvin 

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10. While CamScanner worked terrifically on my old Samsung, it does not work properly on the new one. The lines are hard to adjust. I think it has to do with the different glass, not the program, but I don't know. If anyone is using the S10 without difficulty, please let me know.