• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAF and/or 2DG to post art?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I used to post only on CAF (there was no 2DG when I started) but nowadays I prefer 2DG.  Mostly because of the quality of the images you can post and the zooming function! I still use CAF because of the contacts.

A small example: (I choose Jeremy Bastian because zooming in on his art has certainly an added value).

Cursed Pirate Girl commission:https://www.2dgalleries.com/art/jeremy-bastian-skeleton-cpg-102841

btw to zoom on 2DG you have to click several times)!

(compare with CAF:http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1485719)

If you are a premium CAF member, you can upload larger images. You can see the result on my Bastian work:

Cursed Pirate Girl herself

Pirate Ship

JB’s First CPG Commission

You should a black bar under the image saying to click on the image to enlarge it. 

Of course, you have to be a Premium member; I find that worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

If you are a premium CAF member, you can upload larger images. You can see the result on my Bastian work:

Pirate Ship

You should a black bar under the image saying to click on the image to enlarge it. 

I agree with this. Plus as a premium member you are helping support something that should give you a lot of pleasure. To corrupt a well known quote " don't ask what a free website can do for you . Ask what you can do for your favorite website." 

8 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Pirate Ship

Thanks! 

On 7/22/2018 at 5:35 AM, fenip said:

I used to post only on CAF (there was no 2DG when I started) but nowadays I prefer 2DG.  Mostly because of the quality of the images you can post and the zooming function! I still use CAF because of the contacts.

A small example: (I choose Jeremy Bastian because zooming in on his art has certainly an added value).

Cursed Pirate Girl commission:https://www.2dgalleries.com/art/jeremy-bastian-skeleton-cpg-102841

btw to zoom on 2DG you have to click several times)!

(compare with CAF:http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1485719)

I thought it was started for French art.  Does it have an easy interface for uploading new posts? (one of the key things Bill's site is lacking IMO)

Do people comment much on 2DG posts? 

5 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I've never paid much attention to 2DG before, since i thought it was all Euro art.

But wow, I wish CAF was up to the standards of that site.  it feels like a modern site, vs CAF that just feels.... retro.

It's certainly not only Euro art!

https://www.2dgalleries.com/browse/index?timespan=3&order=10&catid=4

8 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I thought it was started for French art.  Does it have an easy interface for uploading new posts? (one of the key things Bill's site is lacking IMO)

Do people comment much on 2DG posts? 

Adding art is easy... I think it's also easier to add the publication.  Comments depends. 

15 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I've never paid much attention to 2DG before, since i thought it was all Euro art.

But wow, I wish CAF was up to the standards of that site.  it feels like a modern site, vs CAF that just feels.... retro.

I periodically browse 2DG, mostly to see if there is interesting art to buy.  I have an account (since some art can only be seen by account holders) but have no gallery.

I'm curious what features you think are modern compared to CAF? They are different sites with different functionality but nothing jumped out for either site as advantageous to me.

Malvin

In terms of design, layout and mobile-friendliness, 2DG is definitively more modern... which is understandable as the website is only a few years old whereas CAF exists for a far longer time. There is also far less advertising on 2DG so pages are neater and art is probably better highlighted (put forward? don't know the best expression) and you can receive email alerts on specific artists / collectors accounts even with a free account, not on CAF. But on the other hand, as a younger website, 2DG is more limited in terms of number of artworks (especially if you're not interested in european comic art). The premium account is also more expensive (79€ vs $75) and even with a premium account you cannot sell more than 10 items at the same time (I don't think there is a limitation on CAF?).

As a collector, my opinion is that you should follow both websites (no need for a premium account just to have a peek and on 2DG): you'll have a few big collectors who don't have an account on CAF, such as https://www.2dgalleries.com/galleries/les-americains-et-anglo-saxons-5355?timespan=4&order=10&catid=2). Note that there is far less art posted everyday on 2DG, it's easier to follow than CAF (especially if you deactivate display for commissions ^^). If you have time, it's quite easy to add your new artwork on both websites (once it's scanned and you wrote your description, it's just a matter of a few minutes to copy and paste). If you're a seller and want / need to be seen by European collectors, you may want to consider being on 2DG, but my opinion is that the premium account is too expensive.

As for comments, don't expect too many of them on 2DG, for two reasons: 

1. a lot of 2DG members don't care at all about US comic art (some of them even deactivate their display - something I really can't understand: if you're a collector you should be eager to discover artists you never heard of, isn't it?)
  2. I feel comments are more and more about friends / trading (I know and appreciate you, I write a comment, you'll give one back)

Of course that's only my opinion!

On 7/23/2018 at 4:05 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Pirate Ship

I'm a premium member on CAF and just did a side by side comparison of the same image on both sites. The zoomed image from a small panel displayed sharper on 2DG. (Screenshots from my tablet). Next I copied both images from the sites to my desktop and it turned out the resolution and file size from 2DG was the exact same as the original image. The CAF image had a lower resolution and larger file size than the original. I still frequent CAF much more than 2DG so I would of course love to see the resolution stay the same as the original image after it’s uploaded. Maybe in the future.

27AA2664-2008-4904-B257-B05004000F01.jpeg

1DACD389-49F7-40FF-9AB3-4157F28599B6.jpeg

Edited by Grails
Attached photos

There's a real downside to having your artwork be TOO clear and TOO large on sites like this. 

I made the mistake of posting too large a scan of some of my commission pieces online and the next thing I knew there were prints being sold at conventions, and a foreign publisher snagged my scan and used it in one of their magazines. I'm good with lesser definition. 

6 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I signed up . . . now I find myself arguing with a French guy who wants to act as an art critic on the stuff I'm posting . . .  :(

If you want to cut him off quick...respond with this every time he posts....

tumblr_n7u88bFAlD1r27u4fo4_500.gif.497020c18c846578a3bddfac1e5e0943.gif

8 hours ago, The Voord said:

I signed up . . . now I find myself arguing with a French guy who wants to act as an art critic on the stuff I'm posting . . .  :(

Yep unfortunately one of the two guys running 2DG can sometimes be a real insufficiently_thoughtful_person. When comparing to Bill Cox, on this point CAF definitely wins... :|

But maybe you were talking about the collector commenting about your Patton poster? He's probably the only guy I know who do not hesitate to comment "negatively" (but at least he explains why), I don't think you should take it personally ;-)

8 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I’ve debated signing up for 2DG, but all the comments I’ve seen are French, which has deterred me. 

I suppose it’s still beneficial to join. 

I love CAF Premium. 

It depends. Of course if you're French people will mostly comment in French. But most of the 2DG members interested in US comic art try to comment in English when they (we) see that the collector is an English-speaker (typically because the description is in English). For instance: https://www.2dgalleries.com/art/flash-gordon-sunday-7-26-42-by-alex-raymond-76075  or https://www.2dgalleries.com/art/corto-maltese-in-havana-by-john-paul-leon-64854 .

And even if comments are in French, Google is your friend... should be enough to understand what people said on your art :-p

Edited by NicoV

2 hours ago, NicoV said:

Yep unfortunately one of the two guys running 2DG can sometimes be a real insufficiently_thoughtful_person. When comparing to Bill Cox, on this point CAF definitely wins... :|

But maybe you were talking about the collector commenting about your Patton poster? He's probably the only guy I know who do not hesitate to comment "negatively" (but at least he explains why), I don't think you should take it personally ;-)

Oh, I don't really take it personally . . . all mock outrage on my behalf!  ;)

I use both, have been using CAF for almost ten years, and about 3 months ago I signed up for 2DG. CAF is still THE place for US original art, but 2DG made more sense to me from a seller's standpoint.

I really don't use CAF that much, have never sold anything, bought one or two pieces and visit it maybe once a week. I'm not really bothered by comments or likes, so a large part of my stuff isn't even "up"

There is a language barrier using 2DG, but this year I decided to start selling some of my art, since quite a few pages are those HUGE EC pages, I really don't want to ship those to the US. So I made an account on 2DG and put of 5 or 6 pages to test the waters and sold 5 pieces within a few days (including two pages I hadn't put up).

They might have sold on CAF as well, maybe for a higher dollar amount as 2DG is 80% (?) European-art, but it would have involved all the logistics and agita.

The only time I ever sell art in the US is in August, as I'm in Florida and Chicago for almost a month each year, in fact this year I'm already bringing 4 pages with me, one to send from within the US and three for buyers at Chicago con.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a premium account on CAF as well, but I think I would scare off most buyers with my caveat that I have such a small window to sell :$

Edited by chromium