• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction
5 5

172 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve had high grade Fight 31,32 That sold for about double that 39.  I know they have more gruesome elements. 39 and 40 are actually my favorites and it went about $400 higher than I expected and was willing to go. Must have been at least 3 of us in the mix at the end. I think you are seeing a rise in Lily Renee classic covers and she assisted Doolin by working Senorita Rio on that cover. 

Anything with boobs on it is a Ricks classic! :baiting:

On 8/2/2018 at 2:09 PM, batman_fan said:

I was watching the Marvel Tales 95. Thought I may have a chance but final hammer of $15k :whatthe:  I was thinking $8k to $10k. Shows what I know. 

I auctioned the other 9.4 (the Church copy) 4 years ago for $6k - like to have that one back.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:37 AM, jhm said:

I didn't think I'd have to go that high on it :shy: That means there's someone out there almost as wacky as me! But IMO, it's a truly amazing copy, tied with the Church for highest graded... and has colors that pop unlike any other copy I've seen...

This copy: https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/marvel-tales-95-marvel-1950-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7189-91058.s

lf.jpeg.0e7533e72feb9278e190c62f7cf69b52.jpeg

Church copy: https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=568866

mar22_777a.jpg.403132ed08f741edc2c917466addb674.jpg

Bad scan, I owned this for a time colors are very good on it.

Edited by Johnny545

Just now, Johnny545 said:

I auctioned the other 9.4 (the Church copy) 4 years ago for $6k - like to have that one back.

Not 1/2 as much as I wish I had bid more on it.  I went to a geek fest and took a few books to show and this was one of the books I took.  I am just going to have to be happy with this copy ...

marvel95trimmed.jpg

12 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:
18 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:

Bad scan, I owned this for a time colors are very good on it.

Though I gotta say, I don’t think the colors on that HA copy could be any better or brighter, insane copy - huge congrats.

Well, let's hope for jhm's sake that the colors are truly that bright in real life on the book and just not on the scan.  :wishluck:

Just wondering since I can barely make out the CGC label on the top right due to the bright glare, as compared to the label on the Church copy which is much more distinct and clear.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, let's hope for jhm's sake that the colors are truly that bright in real life on the book and just not on the scan.  :wishluck:

Just wondering since I can barely make out the CGC label on the top right due to the bright glare, as compared to the label on the Church copy which is much more distinct and clear.  hm  (shrug)

My fingers are crossed too. Heritage does a great job of taking pictures. Once in a while they don't pop quite as much when I get them in hand. But often, I'm shocked the colors are actually as good as they seemed. I'll post back when I get it.

Some of the scans above look....well, pretty off to me. I always just look at the color of the CGC label, as it's the only constant on these things. If the label is too bright, too dim, or too washed out you can bet the look of the comic follows suit. I am WAY more picky about cover color than I am technical grade, so sorting out scanner settings is a constant headache for me as I do the majority of my buying online. 

Of the three books, Batman_fan's looks closest to accurate. Here is my copy in comparison, which does look like this in-hand. 

001 (325).jpg

1 hour ago, october said:

Some of the scans above look....well, pretty off to me. I always just look at the color of the CGC label, as it's the only constant on these things. If the label is too bright, too dim, or too washed out you can bet the look of the comic follows suit. I am WAY more picky about cover color than I am technical grade, so sorting out scanner settings is a constant headache for me as I do the majority of my buying online. 

Of the three books, Batman_fan's looks closest to accurate. Here is my copy in comparison, which does look like this in-hand. 

001 (325).jpg

That's a knockout!  Not a ped?

21 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Took a stab at the Brundage Bat girl.  Already own one but someday this should be up there with Action 1 in my estimation.  Lol.  Seriously though, what impact if any did the trimming have on the hammer price.  Is it as harshly judged in the pulp world as the comic world?  Should it be?

lf.jpeg

I put some bids down on this one too. Like you, I already have one, but it’s such a cool piece. I’d like another. And another. 

On 8/4/2018 at 8:20 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Did you get it? I was probably 4th

$4600 is a strong price for the Fight 39.  Wonder what the highest graded 31 and 40 would bring in this crazy market?

On 8/5/2018 at 12:26 AM, Johnny545 said:

Though I gotta say, I don’t think the colors on that HA copy could be any better or brighter, insane copy - huge congrats.

Did the HA copy have some rust on one of the staples? I imagine the seller of that book was extremely pleased with the result. The colors were nice, though.

4 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

$4600 is a strong price for the Fight 39.  Wonder what the highest graded 31 and 40 would bring in this crazy market?

The market is crazy right now, but it's understandable. People are breathing a sigh of relief and splurging after the apparent recovery of the economy. The price on the Fight 44 tonight surprised me more than the price on the 39 yesterday. I guess any result is possible with a bidding "war" as long as people keep telling themselves that it's possible to "win" an auction.

Edited by jimbo_7071