• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal with all the Mystery Tales at auction?

55 posts in this topic

I've noticed that there are multiple issues of Mystery Tales books at the two current auctions on CL and CC and upcoming ones as well. Was there a find recently? Used to be books that didn't come up very often but are now everywhere. 

There was someone a couple of years ago buying up everyone that showed up on eBay for insane prices. Multiple copies, every time the came on. Created a bit of a frenzy on this title. Why? I don't know. This title as a whole is really no better or harder to find than any other Atlas horror title. A lot of people bought into it literally. Then there was #51 that was used on the Lost TV show. Everybody wanted it driving the price through the roof.

I suspect that this buyer is bored with his hoard or wants to divest. Thus, lots turning up at once. I'm pretty sure this fool will lose money when the hammer falls...

4 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

My guess would be people are seeing the absurd prices horror books are commanding right now, and are trying to unload while they're still hot.  I could be way off though. (shrug) 

Horror books especially the good ones have almost always been hot sellers for good money. They have taken minor dips and corrections but continue to be hot in ALL grades. How high will they go? Who knows. The good ones, like any genre, will most likely, stay solid I believe.

10 minutes ago, retrocomics said:

Seems like a bad idea to saturate the market with multiple copies of the same title and multiple copies of the same issue all at once.

My question is why in the world would the auction house put them all together like that, instead of spreading them out?

Same thing is happening in the upcoming Heritage auction.  Two copies of Captain Marvel Jr, 1 in 7.5, and another in 7.0.  To me, the 7.0 looks like the better copy of the two.  I'd be irritated as a consignor if they were my books.

This might work out well for those of you are looking to complete runs of this title. The "lemmings" might think the sky is falling and dump their copies all over ebay too.  It's a nice run and all of them are pretty available without paying through the nose for them right now.

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There was someone a couple of years ago buying up everyone that showed up on eBay for insane prices. Multiple copies, every time the came on. Created a bit of a frenzy on this title. Why? I don't know. This title as a whole is really no better or harder to find than any other Atlas horror title. A lot of people bought into it literally. Then there was #51 that was used on the Lost TV show. Everybody wanted it driving the price through the roof.

I suspect that this buyer is bored with his hoard or wants to divest. Thus, lots turning up at once. I'm pretty sure this fool will lose money when the hammer falls...

I think that was about five years ago at this point?, so tend to doubt it has much to do with the current copies. That was a wild ride though. Every single copy was being BIN'd instantly, seemingly at any price. I listed all my MT copies on ebay, then bought a few more off dealer sites and listed those too. Nearly everything sold to that one ebay buyer, but a couple boardies started hitting my ebay BINs and then relisting the same books even higher and reselling them to the same buyer. We had a good chuckle about it. I ended up chatting with the buyer too though ebay messaging; he was a really nice guy. I think for a time he enjoyed the challenge of putting together multiple runs.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, Robot Man said:

I contacted him some years ago when I was trying to finish the run, and he told me that had about 20 or so full runs, and wouldn't sell any of them.

You know what they say...patience is a virtue !

On 7/22/2018 at 8:38 AM, october said:

One of the prominent Mystery Tales collectors died, and his books are being sold on Comicconnect. The last round was definitely from him, because I sold at least one book that ended up in his collection.

This.

The second city collection on CC is clearly his and it includes many, many copies of every mystery tales issue.  

Pretty obvious this collector was responsible for the crazy prices mystery tales were going for in 2013-14.  

He was buying at any price (even post code issues there is little demand for), the bubble burst when he stopped buying (maybe 2 years ago) and prices settled almost immediately to what other Atlas titles sell for.

On 7/22/2018 at 9:43 AM, Robot Man said:

The buyer passed away, as others have noted. I'm sure even if he was foolish in buying them, he isn't worried about it anymore. :)

7 hours ago, originalisbest said:

The buyer passed away, as others have noted. I'm sure even if he was foolish in buying them, he isn't worried about it anymore. :)

His heirs, on the other hand ....

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I doubt they'll do all that bad with all the Mystery Tales proceeds. Kinda feel like that was a "sideline" for him. Somehow, I think whatever proceeds from the VF+ rusted staples Action #1 he also owned will soothe the financial waters OK. :)

4 hours ago, originalisbest said:
20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I doubt they'll do all that bad with all the Mystery Tales proceeds. Kinda feel like that was a "sideline" for him. Somehow, I think whatever proceeds from the VF+ rusted staples Action #1 he also owned will soothe the financial waters OK. :)

I'll bet you're right!

2 hours ago, retrocomics said:

Still amazed at some of the Superior horror books prices realized. You couldn't give those away a few years ago

Any in particular?