• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal with all the Mystery Tales at auction?

55 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, retrocomics said:

Looks like some decent bids for the ones tonight. Might not have hurt them to much

I completely forgot to put the MTs on my watch list and now poof! they're gone.  Can anyone tell me what the 19(s) went for?

32 minutes ago, dannyboy said:

I completely forgot to put the MTs on my watch list and now poof! they're gone.  Can anyone tell me what the 19(s) went for?

I can't remember but the 5.something went for over 1500

On 7/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, Robot Man said:

There was someone a couple of years ago buying up everyone that showed up on eBay for insane prices. Multiple copies, every time the came on. Created a bit of a frenzy on this title. Why? I don't know. This title as a whole is really no better or harder to find than any other Atlas horror title. A lot of people bought into it literally. Then there was #51 that was used on the Lost TV show. Everybody wanted it driving the price through the roof.

I suspect that this buyer is bored with his hoard or wants to divest. Thus, lots turning up at once. I'm pretty sure this fool will lose money when the hammer falls...

The bubble will deflate in stages more than it will pop; his prior buying frenzy will keep prices inflated this go-round. His estate will lose some money, but the people who buy this time around will lose just as much.

Journey into Mystery and Strange Tales seem to be in bubbles, too. 

ETA: Did this collector know back in 2013 that he didn't have many years left? If he did, then I wouldn't say he was a fool. He just knew that he couldn't wait for bargains. 

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/23/2018 at 9:56 PM, Johnny545 said:

This.

The second city collection on CC is clearly his and it includes many, many copies of every mystery tales issue.  

Pretty obvious this collector was responsible for the crazy prices mystery tales were going for in 2013-14.  

He was buying at any price (even post code issues there is little demand for), the bubble burst when he stopped buying (maybe 2 years ago) and prices settled almost immediately to what other Atlas titles sell for.

What you said may technically be true, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we're out of the bubble entirely. What happened with Mystery Tales almost certainly affected other Atlas Horror titles. People were telling themselves, "Mystery Tales is no better than the other titles, so those titles will catch up." I wasn't immune; I caved and paid a very strong price for this book:

The situation we have right now is that dealers are sitting on a lot of those books and asking astronomical prices, but no one is interested. We won't be out of the bubble until the majority of books have been cycled through no-reserve auctions a few times. ("No reserve" auctions where shill bidding occurs don't count.)

1905161937371.jpg

22 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

What you said may technically be true, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we're out of the bubble entirely. What happened with Mystery Tales almost certainly affected other Atlas Horror titles. People were telling themselves, "Mystery Tales is no better than the other titles, so those titles will catch up." I wasn't immune; I caved and paid a very strong price for this book:

The situation we have right now is that dealers are sitting on a lot of those books and asking astronomical prices, but no one is interested. We won't be out of the bubble until the majority of books have been cycled through no-reserve auctions a few times. ("No reserve" auctions where shill bidding occurs don't count.)

1905161937371.jpg

That's a beautiful book, bro...… Sometimes it takes top dollar to get quality. I'd be proud to own it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 22. Juli 2018 at 7:43 AM, Robot Man said:

There was someone a couple of years ago buying up everyone that showed up on eBay for insane prices. Multiple copies, every time the came on. Created a bit of a frenzy on this title. Why? I don't know. This title as a whole is really no better or harder to find than any other Atlas horror title. A lot of people bought into it literally. Then there was #51 that was used on the Lost TV show. Everybody wanted it driving the price through the roof.

I suspect that this buyer is bored with his hoard or wants to divest. Thus, lots turning up at once. I'm pretty sure this fool will lose money when the hammer falls...

A new sucker is born every day.

Some of these Atlas books are genuinely scarce, especially in Fine or better. I bought quite a few at the top of the market and don't regret it for a second. For years they were dismissed as second hand drivel, the "not quite Marvel Marvels"....but they're full of some fantastic art and some very clever ingenious stories. Quality always seems to rise to the top. Mystery Tales has some of the best covers in PCH, and today's buyers are buying out of passion, not investment.... which makes me smile. GOD BLESS....

16 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Some of these Atlas books are genuinely scarce, especially in Fine or better. I bought quite a few at the top of the market and don't regret it for a second. For years they were dismissed as second hand drivel, the "not quite Marvel Marvels"....but they're full of some fantastic art and some very clever ingenious stories. Quality always seems to rise to the top. Mystery Tales has some of the best covers in PCH, and today's buyers are buying out of passion, not investment.... which makes me smile. GOD BLESS....

100% agree Jim! In fact I snagged the MT with the Matt Fox story in it as well as some post codes. The post code Atlas' have some great stories and artists with Wood and Crandell added in the mix of usual suspects! 

55 minutes ago, retrocomics said:

I bought the #9 and #17 just because I friggin love those covers. Especially something about#17. Like the B movie theater aspect of it.

Good pickups! There's more coming in the next auction too! :gossip:

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

100% agree Jim! In fact I snagged the MT with the Matt Fox story in it as well as some post codes. The post code Atlas' have some great stories and artists with Wood and Crandell added in the mix of usual suspects! 

Tell me more about this Matt Fox story please.

12 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Tell me more about this Matt Fox story please.

It's from issue 22 called "The Tiny Coffin!". Never read it but will probably crack it out and read it. Fox did the cover to this issue also.

7 minutes ago, Jayman said:

It's from issue 22 called "The Tiny Coffin!". Never read it but will probably crack it out and read it. Fox did the cover to this issue also.

Thank you!I'm a big fan of his cover work,not familiar at all with his stories.Another one added to the list thanks to Jayman.(I STILL can't find that Kid Colt!Don't post it!More people will want it! lol )

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Thank you!I'm a big fan of his cover work,not familiar at all with his stories.Another one added to the list thanks to Jayman.(I STILL can't find that Kid Colt!Don't post it!More people will want it! lol )

Kid Who? (shrug) :ph34r:

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

That's a beautiful book, bro...… Sometimes it takes top dollar to get quality. I'd be proud to own it. GOD BLESS....

I would agree, it's worth repeating, some Atlas titles with great covers (such as this one) with a very appealing appearance and genuinely high grade, will cost $$$.