• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC is over. Who Won?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Flambit said:

In my opinion,  this guy did pretty well.   I was a little shocked to see it because I'm a Miller DD nut and I've seen just about all the Miller DD covers in person... but not this one

20180721_162957.jpg

Whatever it closes at on clink - we can likely see it on romitaman site for double a short while after.

13 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Don't you know?...the dealers always win  lol

I joked that we should get #AlbertWins trending on Twitter.  Albert always wins! 

32 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I brokered a deal with Los Bros Donnellys on behalf of a friend not at a show for a nice Copper Age cover (sorry, no details, it's going into a black hole).  

My goodness. He must be a GOOD friend for you to subject yourself to that. I mean, he must be a "dragged me out of a foxhole in 'Nam, saved my life and I owe him a life-debt" kind of friend. 

Even then. I think you're even with him now.

black hole collection is code word for i spent too much with the donnelly's and will never get value on the piece.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Ditko ASM has supplanted Kirby FF as the new gold standard it seems

I have been envisioning a rapidly approaching (alternate reality) future where KIRBY prices, on more so-called 'weaker' pieces, stalls out & by default becomes more affordable, and, because of numerous previously well discussed hypothetical variables, demand for them significantly drops...resulting in more 'dead' inventory, and auction material...

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I know Burkey closed strong, as I have a friend who bought a twice-up Marvel Silver Age cover from him on Saturday (no details; I'm sure he'll post it on CAF soon enough and I don't want to steal his thunder).  

It's now public on Facebook, so I can reveal...the Daredevil #22 cover by Colan was the cover. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

<snip>

I know that Mitch moved a good volume of pieces; his sale of the Mister Miracle #6 cover to a Boardie (who has also posted it on Facebook) was the talk of the show - congrats, @glenbru!  Mitch also had the Tim Sale Batman: Dark Victory #1 cover, which sold early on Wednesday; wish I had gotten there first, as I would have snapped it up in half a millisecond.  Same collector who bought the DV #1 cover got a killer Charles Burns piece from Scott Eder Gallery, which made some of the indie guys I know drool.

<snip>

Dang! I was quite pleased when I was able to grab a couple of pieces when Mitch put up some stuff Thursday morning, I would have been ecstatic if I was able to grab the DV1 cover. Oh well.  There is always more art out there!

Malvin

15 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Strong contender for winner this year (and most years) is J Scott Campbell.  Through talent and a terrific business savvy, he is a runaway juggernaut, an empire unto himself.  The numbers after the end of each SDCC must be staggering beyond compare.  

Alex Ross had a fancy set-up larger than many Manhattan apartments.  How much does he sell to afford this kind of set-up???

(the photo below does not capture the full display, which was enormous - he is set up on BOTH sides of one of the aisle and neither side is fully displayed here)

Bill SIenkiewicz also had a fancy, gleaming white set-up (I think he and Ross are both repped by the same guy)

238297489_AlexRossbooth.thumb.jpg.f1ed85a35173dd5e7a2f766ce771af4e.jpg

Edited by delekkerste