• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC is over. Who Won?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

This is why i haven't been in 20+ years...the cost. I figured by the time i walked in the door, im down 2200 before i buy one thing, and that's me going peasant class on everything. In the real world, 2200 is a lot of coin. I spend almost 750 going to NJ art show each year and even making money it bothers me lol.

I agree, the dealers always win.  That's why they continue to set up every year.

The new owners of the DD covers,  ( Miller and Colan), both appear to be happy with their acquisitions so I would say congratulations to them as well !!!

I have not attended SDCC in awhile since getting a good hotel room has become too bothersome for me.

However, I always say that every fan / collector should attend SDCC at least once in their lifetime.  SDCC is truly, the greatest comic convention in the world.  If you ever have the opportunity, I say save up for it and go.  Just make sure you plan about a year ahead. Like right now if you want to attend 2019.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

Wasn't able to personally attend this year due to some unexpected things coming up at the zero hour, but was able to get this arranged, picked up, and brought home.  Hope to be back out there next year, and also be able to get Despair to complete my set of Endless.

So, I'd still consider it a win, but I still miss hanging out and chatting with other collectors..

McKeanDestiny.jpg

6 hours ago, comicfanboy007 said:

A true grail. Nite-Owl. Golden Age cover commission. By Dave Gibbons. To describe this piece as infinitely special doesn’t even begin to cover it. With Watchmen Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore created a story that redefined the medium. My favorite sections were about Hollis Mason the Golden Age Nite-Owl. I poured over them constantly. My comic Mysteryman exists because I wanted more adventures with the character. So to have a new piece of Watchmen artwork by the original artist is just amazing. I love that Dave made it a cover to a comic book. This feels like this should be in Hollis’ apartment, hanging on the wall. It’s a little meta and it makes me love it all the more. I am so grateful that I got to thank Dave for this piece in person over the weekend.

\

60A0DF2E-8567-49BC-9E21-E17E8B9A23CA.jpeg

Wow, that is super great!  One of the coolest commissions I've ever seen!

4 hours ago, 1Toy2Many said:

A well-known collector picked up a super cool and rare GA Wonder Woman splash page by H.G. Peter.  Add him to the list of winners for sure. 

(worship) 

The collector who picked up the Dark Victory #1 cover was a big winner yet again (he also scooped up the Sandman #50 cover early at SDCC 2016).  If I go to the show next year, I am definitely getting there earlier as there always seems to be at least one killer piece that is snapped up pre-3pm on Preview Night.  

6 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

Congrats on your haul!:golfclap:

Brett Booth is one nice guy, who interacts with his fans daily on twitter, and IMO is undervalued and under appreciated.  His talent level is off the charts, while the cost of his work is very affordable.  The way he drew movement on the Flash was perfect for the character.  Why he isn't a star and working on a book is a shame.  His Backlash stuff is off the chain too.

From hearing other people talk about Brett, he seems like a low-key guy. His recent run on Titans was as good as anything that DC put out the last couple of years. He definitely has the talent, so maybe he's not seeking the limelight?hm

This year for SDCC I tried something different and went after sketch commissions more so than published art because I am usually the other way around. But I am a huge fan and collector of '90s WIldstorm and last year I missed the Wildstorm 25th Anniversary reunion because I couldn't make it to the show. So I made up for it this year with a theme of getting a Zealot (from Jim Lee's WIldcats) sketch from as many of the Wildstorm artists at the show as I could. I ran around the con like crazy, and still have some that will have to be mailed to me later. But I'm proud to say I got quite a few of them, along with some other artists with fantastic styles that I always wanted to see the interpretation they would give the character and I was not disappointed!

Sketches by Arthur Adams, Adam Hughes, Dave Dorman, Bruce Timm, Humberto Ramos, Scott Williams, Stuart Sayger, Dean Yeagle, Richard Friend, Joe Linsner, Ryan Benjamin, Ryan Odagawa, Jim Balent, Katie Cook, and manny others.

Here is a link to the gallery I set up on my CAF just for the show's acquisitions, before I sort everything later into their proper galleries later. Each piece has a story in the description so I'll spare the details here, but please take a look if interested.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=168444

Thanks for looking!

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

(worship) 

The collector who picked up the Dark Victory #1 cover was a big winner yet again (he also scooped up the Sandman #50 cover early at SDCC 2016).

This one?!?   Luckyyyyyy!!!  :grin:

51Fd1ah5VzL._SY628_.jpg

...and that McKean Destiny is a sweet one!

If an at home SDCC counts, this was delivered to my office while the show was going on.

----

Picked up a little something today that I've been waiting for (more or less patiently) for five years.

The Shadow and Margo Lane as the perk for my backing of the Kickstarter for "Starstruck: Old Proldiers Never Die." The KS was funded in May of 2013, but the book required a lot more work than expected, took longer as a consequence, and cost more.

As tough as Elaine and Michael found the row to hoe, I felt that we were informed of the progress on a regular enough basis and the resulting book is gorgeous and a fun read.

Once the book was done, Micheal could start on the commission perks. Logically, he did the simpler and Starstuck centered ones first. Mine was neither of these. I was glad to hear from him that he enjoyed doing it and showing it to visitors. I love what he produced for me.

Click the link to see the progress of the commission and larger images.

The Shadow and Margo Lane by Michael Kaluta Comic Art