• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~CLOSED~~ GOLD & ATOMIC! Classic WWII Cover, Pre-Code Horror. Thread closes Sunday.
7 7

30 posts in this topic

First of all, thanks to those who purchased from me a few months ago AND for the nice Kudos. I've got another small variety of comic books for your browsing pleasure. The mix is wildly random. 

1st “I'll Take It!” in the thread wins and trumps all private negotiations.

NOTE: To maintain an even playing field, a simple “take” (but nothing shorter) will do. Make sure to quote the book you are taking.

Payment by PayPal within 24 hours of invoice.

(To avoid confusion, please do not rescind your take or swap with others on the thread.)

Shipping in USA is $8 for a USPS Priority flat (up to 3 raw books) or $15 for a box (slabbed book or 4+ raws). For outside the U.S., PM me before taking.

No returns on slabbed books, but for raw contact me within three days of receipt and send it back on your dime in the same shape. Of course, if I missed something important I'll pay for return shipping.

No probation listers or HOSers.

Edited by MBFan
closed

Here's one to get started. 

AIR FIGHTERS Vol 2 #8 (Hillman-Fall 1944) CGC 7.5 OW

I don't know who has the power to designate a WWII cover as “classic”, but I think this one is a classic. The distinctive John Guinta layout, art and color selection would make a great poster. Inside you'll find art by Rudy Palais, Tony DiPreta, Bob Fujitani and Gil Kane. Disregard the scanner glare. The logo coloring is dark and smooth. 

$450 10% DISCOUNT: NOW $405

Air Fighters Vol 2 No 8 CGC 7 5 front.jpg

Air Fighters Vol 2 No 8 CGC 7 5 rear.jpg

Edited by MBFan
price drop

Well, I sat down for an evening of scanning, photographing and posting here on my little sales thread...and then the phone rang with a situation which I must attend to tonight. Darn! It may be late tonight before I'm able to return, but no matter how late it is, I'll post some more books tonight, so you can check them out when you rise tomorrow. 

OK. Finally have a moment to post some books as I originally intended before life got in the way. My respect to those of you who post large threads of books like clockwork every month. It is a time-consuming endeavor.

The rest of my little thread includes a few books that qualify as only low grade, but perhaps you'll find something of interest among the wide variety. I try and point out major flaws, but even better, I do my best to post high quality scans and photos, so please examine them closely.

All-Picture Comedy Carnival (St. John-October 1952) 4.0 VG OW-W

Don't judge this book by its cover! Regardless of what it says, this copy is anything but “comedy” and “laughs”. In fact, this 100-page giant one-shot is all rebound CRIME comics.

(Imagine buying your 7-year-old a funny Little Eva comic book that ends up exposing them to a sordid side of life. Where's Dr. Wertham when you need him?!) Rear cover is blank with some creasing.

I told you the mix would be wildly random. What's more random than a funny kid cover with crime stories inside?

$80 SOLD

All-Picture Comedy Carnival front.jpg

All-Picture Comedy Carnival front inside.jpg

All-Picture Comedy Carnival rear inside.jpg

All-Picture Comedy Carnival spine.jpg

Edited by MBFan
sold

Cowgirl Romances 8 (Fiction House-Winter 1951/1952) G 2.0

One of the great taillights issues! As shown in the scans & photos, there's some staining and chipping around the cover, including a small piece out of the spine. Also, the back cover bottom corner is held on by archival tape. An OK copy of a cool old book with hot cowbabes.

$ 115 SOLD

Cowgirl Romances 8 front.jpg

Cowgirl Romances 8 rear.jpg

Cowgirl Romances 8 middle.JPG

Cowgirl Romances 8 front inside.JPG

Cowgirl Romances 8 rear inside.jpg

Cowgirl Romances 8 interior.JPG

Edited by MBFan
sold

Fight Comics 67 (Fiction House/March 1950) 4.0 VG OW-W

Tiger Girl and her striped pal are fixing to tear those poachers a new one.

GCD surmises the cover is by Kamen, Forte and the Iger Shop. Cover's got nice gloss but a firm subscription crease that barely breaks color, along with a couple of tiny edge tears. There's a spine roll, but the staples and pages look great.

$60 SOLD

Fight Comics 67 front.jpg

Fight Comics 67 rear.jpg

Fight Comics 67 center.jpg

Fight Comics 67 front interior.jpg

Fight Comics 67 rear interior.jpg

Edited by MBFan
sold

After 2 Fiction House books in a row, we don't want to get too predictable, so now we have...

Kilroys 48 (ACG/July 1954) VG+ 5.0 W-OW

Wacky “sit-com” style humor from the years when TV was young. The 1st of only 2 issues of this title to feature “Truevision 3D” on the cover and in a story inside. This is a pretty solid copy, with some light staining, creasing and a bit of spine abrasion, but nice color and shine.

$65 SOLD

Kilroys 48 front.jpg

Kilroys 48 rear.jpg

SAM_5449.JPG

Edited by MBFan
sold

Master Comics #18 (Fawcett/Sept 1941) VG OW

Cover pencils & inks by Charles Sultan, featuring Minute-Man, Bulletgirl and Bulletman and a chimp who is taking it on the chin. (In spite of appearances, no animals were harmed in the making of this cover.)

Inside: Hitler makes a guest appearance; Otto Binder story with Rafael Astarita art; a 7-page Zoro, The Mystery Man adventure with pencils & inks by Mac Raboy; a story with George Tuska pencils/inks and Strange But True facts, including using cob webs to heal wounds. (Please let me know if you've ever tried this.)

Overall decent-looking 75-year-old issue. Front cover has lots of gloss, great registration and color, with some creasing, including a reading crease near the spine. The most significant defects include slight staple tears at the bottom staple only, the reading crease and a few very minor tears at the top. Cover is tight.

Rear cover has some stains and some creases, along with a tiny tape repair at the bottom left corner. It's so minor that the book would probably grade the same if the taped piece was just torn off.

The book's interior is off-white or better, the colors & art are striking and the centerfold is tight. This one looks nicer than Metro's, and it's less dough.

$ 170 SOLD

Master 18 front scan.jpg

Master 18 rear scan.jpg

SAM_4911.JPG

SAM_4915.JPG

SAM_4913.JPG

Edited by MBFan
sold

Thrilling Romances #24 (Standard Comics-January 1954) 3.0(?) W

Photo cover features the parents of Jamie Lee Curtis when she was just a gleam in their eyes. Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis are voguing it up, and their sly smiles are trying to hide the possibility that this book might be trimmed on the right edge, since the bottom is wider than the top. (Then again, I'm not sure Standard comics were always actually “standard”.) Cover is detached at the bottom staple, and the top is barely hanging on. Front cover is a gloss-fest overall, with some staining and light creasing, including a long crease down the cover about an inch away from the spine that does not break color. There's a tear in the back cover edge.

In addition to the photo cover from the film Houdini, Thrilling Romances includes Vince Colletta, Art Saaf and Alex Toth art, which is cool.

$25

Thrilling Romances 24 front.jpg

Thrilling Romances 24 rear.jpg

Thrilling Romances 24 front inside.jpg

Thrilling Romances 24 center.jpg

Thrilling Romances 24 rear interior.jpg

Authentic Police Cases 29 (St. John-September 1953) VG 4.0 OW

Got to love a Baker honey, even when she's doing wrong!

This copy of APC 29 has some creases and staining (including a light coaster stain), along with a 1/2” tear at the top on the cover...but it is actually a very solid book featuring a sweet little Matt Baker babe all dressed up in 1950's fashion who needs to upgrade her taste in men. She'll be wearing prison stripes soon.

$250 SOLD

Authentic Police Cases 29 front.jpg

Authentic Police Cases 29 rear.jpg

Authentic Police Cases 29 center.JPG

Authentic Police Cases 29 front inside.JPG

Authentic Police Cases 29 rear inside.jpg

Edited by MBFan
sold

Mister Mystery #13 (Stanley Morse/Sept-Oct 1953) G- 1.8

This is no way to bob for apples!

A creepy cover by Spectre co-creator Bernard Bailey is wrapped around some of the goriest examples of Pre-Code Horror you're ever going to find. Dismemberment, heads on spikes, a pretty lady vampire looking for chubby prey...it's all here!

This copy is rough, but it is what it is. I'll say it again, “I do my best to post high quality scans and photos, so please examine them closely.” It's got too many defects to list, but a few are: spine damage galore, chips, bends, wear, stains and small edge tears. As rough as it looks, the cover is still attached at both staples and the same goes for the center. Based on the limited data I could find, even in this condition it's a treasure. It certainly does have some of the most over-the-top comic book horror in history. 

$315 NOW $280

Mister Mystery 13 front.jpg

Mister Mystery 13 rear.jpg

Mister Mystery 13 center.jpg

Mister Mystery 13 front inside.jpg

Mister Mystery 13 rear inside.jpg

Edited by MBFan
discount

That's it for this go-round. I'll check back here sometime this evening to respond to PM's or whatever.

Now that I look back on them, my scans are good but the photography could use a little work. Didn't use a flash. Let me know if you need better shots. Thanks for your time and interest.

27 minutes ago, MBFan said:

Authentic Police Cases 29 (St. John-September 1953) VG 4.0 OW

Got to love a Baker honey, even when she's doing wrong!

This copy of APC 29 has some creases and staining (including a light coaster stain), along with a 1/2” tear at the top on the cover...but it is actually a very solid book featuring a sweet little Matt Baker babe all dressed up in 1950's fashion who needs to upgrade her taste in men. She'll be wearing prison stripes soon.

$250

Authentic Police Cases 29 front.jpg

Authentic Police Cases 29 rear.jpg

Authentic Police Cases 29 center.JPG

Authentic Police Cases 29 front inside.JPG

Authentic Police Cases 29 rear inside.jpg

Take it.

16 hours ago, MBFan said:

All-Picture Comedy Carnival (St. John-October 1952) 4.0 VG OW-W

Don't judge this book by its cover! Regardless of what it says, this copy is anything but “comedy” and “laughs”. In fact, this 100-page giant one-shot is all rebound CRIME comics.

(Imagine buying your 7-year-old a funny Little Eva comic book that ends up exposing them to a sordid side of life. Where's Dr. Wertham when you need him?!) Rear cover is blank with some creasing.

I told you the mix would be wildly random. What's more random than a funny kid cover with crime stories inside?

$80

All-Picture Comedy Carnival front.jpg

All-Picture Comedy Carnival front inside.jpg

All-Picture Comedy Carnival rear inside.jpg

All-Picture Comedy Carnival spine.jpg

Whoa, how'd I miss this!:takeit:

After 2 Fiction House books in a row, we don't want to get too predictable, so now we have...

Kilroys 48 (ACG/July 1954) VG+ 5.0 W-OW

Wacky “sit-com” style humor from the years when TV was young. The 1st of only 2 issues of this title to feature “Truevision 3D” on the cover and in a story inside. This is a pretty solid copy, with some light staining, creasing and a bit of spine abrasion, but nice color and shine.

$65

Kilroys 48 front.jpg

Kilroys 48 rear.jpg

SAM_5449.JPG

:takeit:

Fight Comics 67 (Fiction House/March 1950) 4.0 VG OW-W

Tiger Girl and her striped pal are fixing to tear those poachers a new one.

GCD surmises the cover is by Kamen, Forte and the Iger Shop. Cover's got nice gloss but a firm subscription crease that barely breaks color, along with a couple of tiny edge tears. There's a spine roll, but the staples and pages look great.

$60

Fight Comics 67 front.jpg

Fight Comics 67 rear.jpg

Fight Comics 67 center.jpg

Fight Comics 67 front interior.jpg

Fight Comics 67 rear interior.jpg

I'll take this.