Dell UK Price Variants
3 3

177 posts in this topic

12,985 posts
2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

So, What's happening here G-MandI ? 1/-, or 6d ?

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

Good spot Gnash - I had this saved in the files too:

hen.PNG.cb1df1967940294620ed0d73d3d4c931.PNG

The ebay listing from which it comes says "UK Price ticket has been stapled to the cover"

You can see the 6d is an addition, and not part of the printed cover. L Miller would do this - place a 6d stamp on a 9d priced comic. Quite a cool way to change the price isn't it - hand written changes or stamps are the normal (lazy?) method! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,527 posts
16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

 

The ebay listing from which it comes says "UK Price ticket has been stapled to the cover"

You can see the 6d is an addition, and not part of the printed cover. L Miller would do this - place a 6d stamp on a 9d priced comic. Quite a cool way to change the price isn't it - hand written changes or stamps are the normal (lazy?) method! :)

Ah, that is interesting, and may explain why some of cents copies I have have staple holes in the wrong place. 

First time I've ever seen this.

I notice on 30th Century Comics' web site they have issues marked as uk distributed that are past your '61 finish date, but checking other listings with scans for other publishers, they appear to be price stamped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,985 posts
12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ah, that is interesting, and may explain why some of cents copies I have have staple holes in the wrong place. 

First time I've ever seen this.

I notice on 30th Century Comics' web site they have issues marked as uk distributed that are past your '61 finish date, but checking other listings with scans for other publishers, they appear to be price stamped!

I love 30th Century to bits but they do have a tendency to confuse matters for the pence collector. A copy in their inventory marked as 'p' can mean both pence printed and pence stamped so you have to email them or visit to be sure. I was there recently and did a full Dell box dive (sounds like a dance craze) so I don't think I've missed any.

On a related point, they often refer to unstamped dual priced books as 'pence copies' - here's an example:

300p.thumb.PNG.f494cccb8277a79eaeb56e87cfe519f3.PNG

Of course, all the direct editions for this period are dual priced so to call it a pence copy is misleading and may well cost them sales. I really like the guys there, and they are steeped in comic knowledge and history, so I just can't bring myself to 'correct' them.

Duncan McApline's site is the same - it doesn't distinguish clearly between pence printed and distributed / non-distributed copies giving the impression that stamped distributed cents copies are UK variants. They're not - they're just cents books with stamps on them. 

If I ever get around to building my own website / blog I will make it very clear what we're dealing with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,229 posts

I love Dells, and am very partial to pence copies, so I did a little digging through the Heritage archive. There are quite a few in their back catalogue. For example, this lot has this description:

Dell Golden and Silver Age Foreign Editions Group of 29 (Dell, 1950s-60s) Condition: Average FN+. Includes UK editions of Luke Short's Bounty Guns #17, Annie Oakley #3, 4, and 6; I Love Lucy #3, 5, 6, and 13-15; Lassie #4, 6, 10, 12, and 14-18; and Rin Tin Tin #1-4, 6, and 10-12;

And there's this lot, with

Dell Golden Age Foreign Editions Group of 7 (Dell, 1950s) Condition: Average GD. Includes Roy Rogers Comic Album #2 (UK edition), Roy Rogers Comics #9 (UK edition)

And then there's whatever the hell this 'Zorro #50" is...

Most of those look like honest to goodness UK reprints to me, rather than pence overprinted Dells, but you might want to take a look.

Incidentally, if you type "UK edition" into the ha.com search engine for comics, you find 712 hits. There are LOTS of Marvels. I'm not sure which ones are 'missing' but it seems worth the time of a sad and lonely dedicated pence collector to take a squiz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,527 posts

 

15 minutes ago, AJD said:

I love Dells, and am very partial to pence copies, so I did a little digging through the Heritage archive. There are quite a few in their back catalogue. For example, this lot has this description:

Dell Golden and Silver Age Foreign Editions Group of 29 (Dell, 1950s-60s) Condition: Average FN+. Includes UK editions of Luke Short's Bounty Guns #17, Annie Oakley #3, 4, and 6; I Love Lucy #3, 5, 6, and 13-15; Lassie #4, 6, 10, 12, and 14-18; and Rin Tin Tin #1-4, 6, and 10-12;

And there's this lot, with

Dell Golden Age Foreign Editions Group of 7 (Dell, 1950s) Condition: Average GD. Includes Roy Rogers Comic Album #2 (UK edition), Roy Rogers Comics #9 (UK edition)

And then there's whatever the hell this 'Zorro #50" is...

 

 

Anders and Co looks as if it's priced in Kronas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,229 posts
1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

 

Anders and Co looks as if it's priced in Kronas?

Yes, it's Danish. Some of the lots are mixes of 'foreign' editions, so UK + others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,985 posts
37 minutes ago, AJD said:

I love Dells, and am very partial to pence copies, so I did a little digging through the Heritage archive. There are quite a few in their back catalogue. For example, this lot has this description:

Dell Golden and Silver Age Foreign Editions Group of 29 (Dell, 1950s-60s) Condition: Average FN+. Includes UK editions of Luke Short's Bounty Guns #17, Annie Oakley #3, 4, and 6; I Love Lucy #3, 5, 6, and 13-15; Lassie #4, 6, 10, 12, and 14-18; and Rin Tin Tin #1-4, 6, and 10-12;

And there's this lot, with

Dell Golden Age Foreign Editions Group of 7 (Dell, 1950s) Condition: Average GD. Includes Roy Rogers Comic Album #2 (UK edition), Roy Rogers Comics #9 (UK edition)

And then there's whatever the hell this 'Zorro #50" is...

Most of those look like honest to goodness UK reprints to me, rather than pence overprinted Dells, but you might want to take a look.

Incidentally, if you type "UK edition" into the ha.com search engine for comics, you find 712 hits. There are LOTS of Marvels. I'm not sure which ones are 'missing' but it seems worth the time of a sad and lonely dedicated pence collector to take a squiz.

 

Sad and lonely? Sad and lonely! >:(

hm

Yes, about right actually AJD :grin:

Heritage is a good site for quality scans. You get different results for U.K. Edition and UK Edition by the way. I've tried them all! The dedication needed to hunt these books down is considerable and sometimes you wonder if you'd be better off playing outside. But what else can we do on a Sunday, as Thomas Crown once said. I know, I know. it's Saturday.

I took a look at the lots in your post. All fine books, but all reprint titles. I've covered Marvel, DC, Charlton, Archie, Dell, King and Gold Key so far and have yet to find a first printing pence priced variant that dates prior to April / May of 1960. That's when it all seemed to happen. I have looked at other publishers too and haven't yet seen any pence copies for them to warrant a full search, so it may be that the 7 publishers above are the only ones. But the research goes on. 

Keep chipping in boys - it makes it all worthwhile to know that you have an audience, however select :headbang:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,985 posts
On 8/8/2018 at 2:28 PM, Gnasher said:

And a HGWT #8 for the missing list...

 

s-l1600.jpg

Niiiice. Spotted on fLeabay the same time as you I'll bet :headbang:

On 8/9/2018 at 11:52 AM, Gnasher said:

s-l1600.jpg

Already in the figures, but ta anyway :headbang:

On 8/13/2018 at 7:05 AM, Gnasher said:

Another one to add to the Andy Panda collection.... 

#50

 

ANDY-PANDA-50-FN-VF-7-0-DELL-COMICS-JULY-1960

Missed that one! Actually looked at it and missed the price. Flippin eyes. Flippin Silveracre pictures!

 :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,527 posts
10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

 

Already in the figures, but ta anyway :headbang:

 :grin:

Yeah, this was a grey area for me due to having no reference provided in the Four Color lists. (Most remiss :wink: ).

While on the subject of the listings Huckleberry Hound, you've listed  #9 instead of #8, probably due to thinking about 9d's. (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,985 posts
2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah, this was a grey area for me due to having no reference provided in the Four Color lists. (Most remiss :wink: ).

While on the subject of the listings Huckleberry Hound, you've listed  #9 instead of #8, probably due to thinking about 9d's. (thumbsu

I'll do it later Gnash. It's all deliberate you know, to get people to post :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,527 posts

I found this reference to the 77 Sunset Strip Four Color Series being reprinted in part, first issue is 1066 (Battle of Hastings..(dunno why I did that? lol) ) which predates the Peter Gunn.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1156719/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,985 posts
On 8/22/2018 at 6:54 AM, Gnasher said:

Yeah, this was a grey area for me due to having no reference provided in the Four Color lists. (Most remiss :wink: ).

Here are the 57 issues I've confirmed so far (the spreadsheet is still a work in progress). A price and a '1' indicates I have the evidence the book exists:

Four Color

1087 Peter Gun April-June 1960 9d 1
1088 A Dog of Flanders Apr-60 9d 1
1089 Restless Gun April-June 1960 9d 1
1090 Francis, the Famous Talking Mule  April-June 1960    
1091 Jacky's Diary  April-June 1960    
1092 Walt Disney's Toby Tyler Mar-60    
1093 Mackenzie's Raiders June-August 1960 9d 1
1094 Walt Disney's Goofy  May-60    
1095 Walt Disney's Gyro Gearloose  April-June 1960    
1096 The Texan May-July 1960 9d 1
1097 Rawhide May-July 1960 9d 1
1098 Sugarfoot May-July 1960 9d 1
1099 Walt Disney's Donald Duck Album  May-July 1960    
1100 Walt Disney Annette's Life Story  May-July 1960    
1101 Walt Disney Kidnapped  May-60    
1102 Wanted Dead or Alive May-July 1960 9d 1
1103 Leave It to Beaver  Jun-60    
1104 Yogi Bear Goes to College  June-August 1960    
1105 Oh! Susanna  June-August 1960    
1106 77 Sunset Strip June-August 1960 9d 1
1107 Buckskin June-August 1960    
1108 The Troubleshooters June-August 1960 9d 1
1109 Walt Disney's This Is Your Life Donald Duck  August-October 1960    
1110 Bonanza June-August 1960 9d 1
1111 Shotgun Slade Jul-60 9d 1
1112 Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks  July-September 1960    
1113 Fury July-September 1960 9d 1
1114 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Jul-60 9d 1
1115 Ricky Nelson July-September 1960 9d 1
1116 Boots and Saddles August-October 1960 9d 1
1117 The Boy and the Pirates  Jun-60    
1118 The Sword and The Dragon Jun-60 9d 1
1119 Smokey the Bear Nature Stories  Aug-60    
1120 Dinosaurs! Aug-60 9d 1
1121 Hercules Unchained Aug-60 9d 1
1122 Walter Lantz Chilly Willy  August-October 1960    
1123 Tombstone Territory August-October 1960    
1124 Whirlybirds  August-October 1960 9d 1
1125 Laramie August-October 1960 9d 1
1126 Hotel de Paree Sundance August-October 1960 9d 1
1127 The Three Stooges August-October 1960 9d 1
1128 Rocky and His Friends August-October 1960    
1129 Pollyanna Aug-60 9d 1
1130 The Deputy September-November 1960 9d 1
1131        
1132        
1133        
1134        
1135        
1136 The Jungle Cat September-November 1960 9d 1
1137        
1138        
1139        
1140 Donald Duck Album October-December 1960 9d 1
1141        
1142 Johnny Ringo November-January 1961 9d 1
1143        
1144 The Story of Ruth Sep-60 9d 1
1145 The Lost World Aug-60 9d 1
1146 Restless Gun November-January 1961 9d 1
1147 Sugarfoot November-January 1961 9d 1
1148 I Aim at The Stars   9d 1
1149        
1150        
1151        
1152        
1153        
1154        
1155 North to Alaska Dec-60 9d 1
1156 Swiss Family Robinson Dec-60 9d 1
1157 Master of The World Jan-61 9d 1
1158 The 3 Worlds of Gulliver Jan-61 9d 1
1159 77 Sunset Strip January-February 1961 9d 1
1160        
1161 Grandma Duck's Farm Friends February-April 1961 9d 1
1162        
1163 Daniel Boone March-May 1961 1/- 1
1164 Wanted Dead or Alive March-May 1961 1/- 1
1165 Ellery Queen March-May 1961 1/- 1
1166 Rocky and His Friends March-May 1961 1/- 1
1167 Tales of Wells Fargo  March-May 1961    
1168 The Detectives March-May 1961 1/- 1
1169 Sherlock Holmes March-May 1961 1/- 1
1170 The Three Stooges March-May 1961 1/- 1
1171        
1172        
1173 The Twilight Zone March-May 1961 1/- 1
1174        
1175        
1176        
1177        
1178        
1179        
1180        
1181        
1182        
1183        
1184        
1185        
1186        
1187 The Three Stooges June-August 1961 1/- 1
1188 Atlantis the Lost Continent May-61 1/- 1
1189        
1190        
1191        
1192 Ricky Nelson June-August 1961 1/- 1
1193 The Real McCoys June-August 1961 1/- 1
1194 Pepe Apr-61 1/- 1
1195 National Velvet May-July 1961 1/- 1
1196        
1197 The Aquanauts May-July 1961 1/- 1
1198        
1199        
1200 Hennesey August-October 1961 1/- 1
1201        
1202        
1203        
1204        
1205 David and Goliath Jul-61 1/- 1
         

Gap!

 

       
1236 The King of Kings (On sale September) 1961 1/- 1
         
      Total 57

 

On 8/22/2018 at 6:54 AM, Gnasher said:

While on the subject of the listings Huckleberry Hound, you've listed  #9 instead of #8, probably due to thinking about 9d's. (thumbsu

Fixed this 'make sure people are paying attention' / Overstreet style deliberate error :whistle:

On 8/22/2018 at 10:18 AM, Gnasher said:

I found this reference to the 77 Sunset Strip Four Color Series being reprinted in part, first issue is 1066 (Battle of Hastings..(dunno why I did that? lol) ) which predates the Peter Gunn.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1156719/

 

You've lost me - I'm looking at the link and not seeing any pence printed FC which predates Peter Gunn 1087 ?

What am I missing?

Like the new avatar by the way Gnash! Velly nice. I'm not a big fan of changing avatars myself of course, ahem, but this one is cool Gnasher :headbang:

Oh, and I'm probably going to be offline again for a while so you'll have to hold the fort again. Try not to burn anything this time. When I return, huge updates across the pence board. Can your bear the excitement? Be there or be circular :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,527 posts
39 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Here are the 57 issues I've confirmed so far (the spreadsheet is still a work in progress). A price and a '1' indicates I have the evidence the book exists:

Four Color

1087 Peter Gun April-June 1960 9d 1
1088 A Dog of Flanders Apr-60 9d 1
1089 Restless Gun April-June 1960 9d 1
1090 Francis, the Famous Talking Mule  April-June 1960    
1091 Jacky's Diary  April-June 1960    
1092 Walt Disney's Toby Tyler Mar-60    
1093 Mackenzie's Raiders June-August 1960 9d 1
1094 Walt Disney's Goofy  May-60    
1095 Walt Disney's Gyro Gearloose  April-June 1960    
1096 The Texan May-July 1960 9d 1
1097 Rawhide May-July 1960 9d 1
1098 Sugarfoot May-July 1960 9d 1
1099 Walt Disney's Donald Duck Album  May-July 1960    
1100 Walt Disney Annette's Life Story  May-July 1960    
1101 Walt Disney Kidnapped  May-60    
1102 Wanted Dead or Alive May-July 1960 9d 1
1103 Leave It to Beaver  Jun-60    
1104 Yogi Bear Goes to College  June-August 1960    
1105 Oh! Susanna  June-August 1960    
1106 77 Sunset Strip June-August 1960 9d 1
1107 Buckskin June-August 1960    
1108 The Troubleshooters June-August 1960 9d 1
1109 Walt Disney's This Is Your Life Donald Duck  August-October 1960    
1110 Bonanza June-August 1960 9d 1
1111 Shotgun Slade Jul-60 9d 1
1112 Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks  July-September 1960    
1113 Fury July-September 1960 9d 1
1114 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Jul-60 9d 1
1115 Ricky Nelson July-September 1960 9d 1
1116 Boots and Saddles August-October 1960 9d 1
1117 The Boy and the Pirates  Jun-60    
1118 The Sword and The Dragon Jun-60 9d 1
1119 Smokey the Bear Nature Stories  Aug-60    
1120 Dinosaurs! Aug-60 9d 1
1121 Hercules Unchained Aug-60 9d 1
1122 Walter Lantz Chilly Willy  August-October 1960    
1123 Tombstone Territory August-October 1960    
1124 Whirlybirds  August-October 1960 9d 1
1125 Laramie August-October 1960 9d 1
1126 Hotel de Paree Sundance August-October 1960 9d 1
1127 The Three Stooges August-October 1960 9d 1
1128 Rocky and His Friends August-October 1960    
1129 Pollyanna Aug-60 9d 1
1130 The Deputy September-November 1960 9d 1
1131        
1132        
1133        
1134        
1135        
1136 The Jungle Cat September-November 1960 9d 1
1137        
1138        
1139        
1140 Donald Duck Album October-December 1960 9d 1
1141        
1142 Johnny Ringo November-January 1961 9d 1
1143        
1144 The Story of Ruth Sep-60 9d 1
1145 The Lost World Aug-60 9d 1
1146 Restless Gun November-January 1961 9d 1
1147 Sugarfoot November-January 1961 9d 1
1148 I Aim at The Stars   9d 1
1149        
1150        
1151        
1152        
1153        
1154        
1155 North to Alaska Dec-60 9d 1
1156 Swiss Family Robinson Dec-60 9d 1
1157 Master of The World Jan-61 9d 1
1158 The 3 Worlds of Gulliver Jan-61 9d 1
1159 77 Sunset Strip January-February 1961 9d 1
1160        
1161 Grandma Duck's Farm Friends February-April 1961 9d 1
1162        
1163 Daniel Boone March-May 1961 1/- 1
1164 Wanted Dead or Alive March-May 1961 1/- 1
1165 Ellery Queen March-May 1961 1/- 1
1166 Rocky and His Friends March-May 1961 1/- 1
1167 Tales of Wells Fargo  March-May 1961    
1168 The Detectives March-May 1961 1/- 1
1169 Sherlock Holmes March-May 1961 1/- 1
1170 The Three Stooges March-May 1961 1/- 1
1171        
1172        
1173 The Twilight Zone March-May 1961 1/- 1
1174        
1175        
1176        
1177        
1178        
1179        
1180        
1181        
1182        
1183        
1184        
1185        
1186        
1187 The Three Stooges June-August 1961 1/- 1
1188 Atlantis the Lost Continent May-61 1/- 1
1189        
1190        
1191        
1192 Ricky Nelson June-August 1961 1/- 1
1193 The Real McCoys June-August 1961 1/- 1
1194 Pepe Apr-61 1/- 1
1195 National Velvet May-July 1961 1/- 1
1196        
1197 The Aquanauts May-July 1961 1/- 1
1198        
1199        
1200 Hennesey August-October 1961 1/- 1
1201        
1202        
1203        
1204        
1205 David and Goliath Jul-61 1/- 1
         

Gap!

 

       
1236 The King of Kings (On sale September) 1961 1/- 1
         
      Total 57

 

Fixed this 'make sure people are paying attention' / Overstreet style deliberate error :whistle:

You've lost me - I'm looking at the link and not seeing any pence printed FC which predates Peter Gunn 1087 ?

What am I missing?

Like the new avatar by the way Gnash! Velly nice. I'm not a big fan of changing avatars myself of course, ahem, but this one is cool Gnasher :headbang:

Oh, and I'm probably going to be offline again for a while so you'll have to hold the fort again. Try not to burn anything this time. When I return, huge updates across the pence board. Can your bear the excitement? Be there or be circular :)

 

 

The GCD link for that UK annual lists the issues of 77SSS that are used to compile it, one of the issues is 1066.

 

Anyway, I'll see what pops up on t'internet re- 9d's and bob copies(thumbsu

Edited by Gnasher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3