• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2018 A Dealer's Perspective?
3 3

67 posts in this topic

Well, SDCC 2018 is in the books. Again, I didn't attend. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it a little. But every year I miss it gets less and less.

This year seemed to be a bit of a turning point from a vintage comic book experience. Torpedo show the week before was well attended by dealers and eager buyers that have given up SDCC as a place to buy vintage funny books. Several key and oldtime dealers were gone from SDCC this year. Mile High, Bud Plant and even Terry Stroud wasn't there I was told. Does it matter? Probably not to most but it is what they represent to this con is what is important. Bud and Terry have set up at EVERY one of them. Hell of a run! There were probably others missing I suspect. I know Joe V and Motor City gave it up a while ago. Who else wasn't there?

I have seen the comic book related videos and wall shots. Lots of the usual books. Muliple copies of all the Marvel Keys, Batman 1 and most other big "pretty" books that we have all seen a million times. Other than "civilians" and the news media are we all still impressed with these? Not me, I didn't see a Suspense #3, Dynamic #8, Punch #12. Groups of Speed, Catman, Super Mystery, Four Favorites, MLJs, Centaurs, odd ball WWII bondage and war covers ect. didn't seem to be there. Not saying, there were none, I don't know, I wasn't there but I suspect these were in VERY short supply.

All the big, pretty keys are supposed to attract the "whales" as Mitch so elequently puts it. Did the "whales" swim in and scoop up all these beauties? I'm sure some sold but I suspect, most of them went home with their owners. If you want an AF #15 it's a buyer's market. And I think that pool has shrunk substantially. Some one with deep pockets who wants one scanned the room, made a big purchase and went home. Can't be a whole lot of those people there.

My question is for the dealers. If you want to tell us. How did you do? Sell any "big pretties"? How were your sales on lessor stuff? Were people in a buying mood? Would love to know the current state of the SDCC market. Are big cons dying? Anybody want to spill the beans?  Mr. Bedrock?  Bob Storms? G.A.Tor?  Dale? Terry? I know you are all board members, were there and brought your best stuff how did it go for you?

SDCC isn't dying, nor does anyone want it to. For a pop culture experience, it's hard to beat. If you have never gone, it is a bucket list experience. Just an assult to your senses at every turn. If you have the money, stamina, patience and luck to get in it is impossible to beat. But, if you are going for vintage comic books, box diving and spending lots of small money, I feel that ship has sailed. Prove me wrong.

I don't venture into the Golden Age threads often but this one will have me checking back.  My gut tells me dealers with mega keys and golden age keys did very well in San Diego.  Golden Age books seem to be so on fire that even nose bleed prices are getting grabbed and most big national dealers have a treasure trove of Golden oldies.  Will they be able to restock after this rush - not sure but it will be interesting to see what dealers saty.

From the videos I saw of the booths it seemed to me that setting up is mostly about PR.  Anything gained is unexpected and a total loss/expense for the advertising is expected.   Lots of nice books, it looked like a museum which is pretty cool in it’s own way.

Here’s a nice vid I saw of the booths:

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

By way of example, one such collector show is the OAFcon in Norman, Okla.  This year it runs the same weekend as NYCC, but It's likely that I'll see more rare paper collectibles at the Oklahoma show than at a mega-media con without having to traipse around the concrete of Javits Center for four days.  At a show like this, dealers tables or booths are cheap which means more dealers can set-up and still make a profit.  It also means dealers can acquire more inventory, buyers can find & afford things they don't see at other shows and fans don't have to go through a ticket lottery to gain admission. These cons may be shorter events (usually two or three days instead of four), they may not focus on cosplay, or have multiple programming tracks, or popular actors signing photos or enough activities to hold fans interest beyond a few hours in the dealer's room, but they're still fun and memorable in a good way.

I wish Oafcon were closer; it looks and feels like the conventions of my youth in the seventies and you just can't beat that kind of fun!! Of course we have Terry's show out here but hands down the closest thing to a seventies show here is the annual Old Paperback show in Glendale with countless books not in plastic selling for $5-10!! Damn if they were only comics!

9 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I wish Oafcon were closer; it looks and feels like the conventions of my youth in the seventies and you just can't beat that kind of fun!! Of course we have Terry's show out here but hands down the closest thing to a seventies show here is the annual Old Paperback show in Glendale with countless books not in plastic selling for $5-10!! Damn if they were only comics!

I am fortunate that OAF is in my backyard and I have been going for years since the 70s.  Somewhere I have the program that LB Cole signed for me when he attended when I believe it was called MultiCon.

18 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

An excellent follow-up post, 1Cool.

Robot Man has an interesting viewpoint as well, but given his understandable bias that the convention is pricing older collectors and dealers out of the market, his disappointment and sense of loss is palpable.  I don't disagree.  The cost of attending SDCC, whether you're a dealer, fan or collector has gone stratospheric, and it has been moving in that direction for years.  The cost of booths (that's pronounced o-v-e-r-h-e-a-d for dealers) makes profitability difficult even when sales are good. Low value books ...even low grades of desirable books... just won't cover expenses. Hotel rack rates quadruple for ComicCon, so dealers have to be creative just to find crash space (I could've sworn I saw one dealer sleeping on the streets among the homeless).  Fans, those that collect, have less to spend.  Those into cosplay, celebrity panels, exclusive premiums, etc., may fare better on a tight budget, but SDCC isn't cheap regardless.  Then there's the lottery aspect of obtaining badges just to attend.  Whew!

Okay, that's the downside, but we're talking about SDCC, ...the biggest, bestest, show on earth for fans.  The weather in San Diego is usually nice, the restaurants are close and of infinite variety, and if you're a fan, there's always something cool to do.  As someone who wears many hats ...High Grade collector, dealer, artist, occasional actor and all 'round fan... I love SDCC.  Where else can you hang with hundreds of thousands of fellow geeks for a weekend? So, yes, I can understand Robot Man's perspective and I too lament the loss of long time dealers, BUT I'm likely to see quite a few of these "old-time" dealers at other shows catering to more comic-centric crowds.  

By way of example, one such collector show is the OAFcon in Norman, Okla.  This year it runs the same weekend as NYCC, but It's likely that I'll see more rare paper collectibles at the Oklahoma show than at a mega-media con without having to traipse around the concrete of Javits Center for four days.  At a show like this, dealers tables or booths are cheap which means more dealers can set-up and still make a profit.  It also means dealers can acquire more inventory, buyers can find & afford things they don't see at other shows and fans don't have to go through a ticket lottery to gain admission. These cons may be shorter events (usually two or three days instead of four), they may not focus on cosplay, or have multiple programming tracks, or popular actors signing photos or enough activities to hold fans interest beyond a few hours in the dealer's room, but they're still fun and memorable in a good way.

And for those who want a bigger show, but something not quite as overwhelming as SDCC, there are plenty of shows out there that'll fill the bill for those willing to make the sojourn.  Chicago Wizard is a good comic show with cosplay, full programming (and some excellent nearby restaurants), I've heard that Baltimore has a excellent comic con, and according to long-time fan, art collector, author and entrepreneur David Spurlock, the once great Dallas Fantasy Faire is rising from the dead. So, from my POV, there's plenty of glass half full opportunities beyond SDCC.  Fans should take heart from what we gain in a growing culture, rather than focus entirely on the things that have changed and miss.  My long-winded two cents worth (inflation adjusted). 2c

Nice mansplaining, Cat!

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

But I got a new customer that made it all worthwhile...the guitarist from Tool (I am a huge fan) bought some comics from us. Wouldn't have happened if we weren't set up.

:cloud9:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I will post some kind of report here when I get back. This was a conversation we dealers were all having during the course of the show. Sales were a bit down this year from last, and last year from the year before. But I got a new customer that made it all worthwhile...the guitarist from Tool (I am a huge fan) bought some comics from us. Wouldn't have happened if we weren't set up.

Thanks Ritchie! Would love to get a dealer's insight to the current market at SDCC and other big shows in general. Looks like you hooked a "whale" at SDCC. Good seeing you at Torpedo. Hopefully, I spent enough on all those cool ECs and that great Bat 40 to pay for a little gas money...:hi:

Have a safe trip home!

23 minutes ago, tth2 said:

lol

Yep, that was intentional. The Oklahoma Alliance of Fans was founded in 1967. I joined while attending my first convention, HoustonCon in 1969, recruited by Robert A. Brown and Bart Bush.  Robert was a school teacher in Okla. City.  Bart was our OAFzine editor who hailed from Muskogee (my best recollection). I served as President of the club from mid-1970 to '71 while in college.  My home town at the time was Chickasha, Okla., about 50 miles SW of OKC. The OAFs monthly fanzine was initially produced via mimeograph, art produced by carbon copies.  Yeah, those were different times, being a comic fan in those days was very oaf-ish.

Multi-Con was part of a tri-city alliance to co-promote regional conventions sponsored by fan groups from Houston, Dallas and Okla. City. The first two conventions were in Dallas '68 (D-Con) and Houston '69 (HoustonCon).  The third was Multi-Con '70.  After that the alliance broke down as all three clubs wanted to maximize the increased interest in fan conventions by sponsoring their own annual summer shows.  Multi-Con couldn't maintain that schedule because of the limited volunteer base required to produce major annual shows without burn-out, but for awhile we produced conventions every other year, most notably Multi-Con '70 and Multi-Con '72 along with smaller Springcons and Wintercons.

D-Con was originally used as a springboard for a World Con '72 bid (World Science Fiction Con) which is a competition between cities not limited to the U.S., similar to sporting events like the Olympics.  Dallas ended up losing that bid, but produced some well attended shows that fueled other conventions in Dallas called D-Con, Dallas Fantasy Faire and the American Nostalgia Convention. HoustonCon expanded every year after 1970 by taking advantage of the huge interest in Star Trek in those years. HoustonCon/StarTrekcon grew into a five day convention with five tracks of film programming, panels, artshows, auctions, etc., that held up well into the mid-70's.

Okay, that was probably TMI, but what would you expect from an OAF! (thumbsu

43 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Got to post a photo at least for historical purposes...

Oklahoma Alliance of Fans founders (from left) John Wooley, David Smith and Bart Bush. Photo courtesy John Wooley. OKLAHOMA ALLIANCE OF FANS FOUNDERS (FROM LEFT) JOHN WOOLEY, DAVID SMITH AND BART BUSH.
PHOTO COURTESY JOHN WOOLEY.

Well done.  Off hand, I can't say who the kid is on the end, but it looks like this may be from early '69 judging from the OAFzine that John Woolley is holding.  This was months before I joined, but it seems like I recall they'd done a one-off photo offset cover, which cost quite a bit for a small fan club, but they'd gotten some unpublished pro-art from one of the EC artists and really wanted to use it.  Notice the back cover of the zine is lightly printed from a ditto master. I recall there were more OAF club founders, among them Robert A. Brown, Wilt Conine, Eric Groves, Bruce Schultz, the late Larry Latham and others whose names elude me at the moment.