• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should one have a valuable book signed for CGC or not?

17 posts in this topic

Would like to get everyone's opinion:

Do you think I should get a TMNT #1, 1st printing signed on the cover or not? (only Eastman and Laird, of course)

It's such a nice cover and I don't know if it's bad, long term, or better to have the signatures certified by CGC.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I don't see why this specific book should be singled out for this question. I think if you don't like signatures on books, you will say NO, don't do it. If you do like sigs, then you will say go for it. It has nothing to do with the fact that you asked about TMNT #1. Excluding current Moderns, I am not a fan of signatures on high grade vintage books. Therefore, I say No .

You could go old school and have them sign it at the bottom of the first page. You get your book signed, and the cover remains clean. As long as the signatures are witnessed it still gets a yellow label. I’d also agree that cover signatures on a high grade vintage book are undesirable. 

Edited by mysterio

Personally I would only get non-valuable stuff signed. If you needed to sell it might be a problem if the people with the most monies want an unsigned one, also we don't know what sharpie will do to books 50+ years in the future. You can always find a reprint, or another favorite TMNT cover to have signed and display next to each other. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

:whatthe:

You gonna go? Not a terrible drive....I already have just about everything I own signed by PL already  :tonofbricks: so this will be the first appearance I will be passing on

Edited by nriccijr

2 minutes ago, nriccijr said:

You gonna go? Not a terrible drive....I already have just about everything I own signed by PL already  :tonofbricks: so this will be the first appearance I will be passing on

I would love to but the drive is probably just a bit too long on such short notice. At least he's willing to do this show. I was afraid he had retired from appearances.

When I first learned about signings, my inclination was to get all keys signed.  But now that I've had a few signed, part of me regrets it.  I've reached a point where I prefer blue labels of major keys and enjoy sigs on less valuable books.  Lucky for me I only had two expensive major keys signed, but unluckily it means i'm now on the hunt for that book in a blue label.  I would say if you have two copies of TMNT, then by all means, get one signed.  But if not, find a minor key or something that can more easily be replaced.

If the book has already been slabbed by CGC I would caution against cracking it to get it signed. CGC grading is ridiculously strict right now, so the chances of a grade drop are higher than ever at the moment.

Here's my #1 question response to this type of question. 

Are you ever planning on selling it? 

If yes, then dont get it signed. 

Signed books have a smaller market than unsigned books. 

There are some buyers (especially buyers of high dollar books) that wont even consider signed books for their collection/inventory. 

So down the road when you need to sell it, instead of having 50 interested buyers, you have 10. Now granted it only takes 1 person to accept your asking price, but to me it's better to have a larger buying pool than a smaller buying pool. 

Want something signed by Laird/Eastman? Get another book you like, but one that isn't expensive. You are paying for the experience of meeting the guys and the signed book is more of a memento of the occasion.