What is currently the hottest genre?
4 4

94 posts in this topic

315 posts
51 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it just shows how truly scarce a lot of these books are.  When there are very few copies around, it doesn't take many collectors to become interested in them to cause prices to soar.  Of course, with a lag we usually see more books come to market, which mitigates the price increases.  I think we've seen that with lower grade Baker St John romance books.  Even beat copies were going very high for a while there.  Then more copies of some issues surfaced and prices pulled back.  Same thing might happen with some Cole books, like this one. :wishluck:

I agree 100% that we can expect a lot more Cole romance becoming available as the prices have dramatically increased.  I believe it will be very similar to Baker as low grades will become more abundant and will peak pretty quickly.  But the higher grade more spectacular covers will see some pretty dramatic price jumps  to the point where 19x of current guide may seem like a deal.   Again, not much different from Baker.  

The question is which specific Cole romance covers will prove to be more elusive and which ones will rise to the top and become the next Cinderella Love 25?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,770 posts

Something I have noticed over the last 3-4 years in gold books is that the boards are ahead of (maybe creating) the curve. Something gets discussed and heats up here and then 3-4 months later it seems to get mass appeal outside of this incubator. Eventually interest starts to fade here but it may not fade in the comic buying community outside here for several months after this group has lost interest. In fact, sometimes the interest continues to pick up even after it cooled down some here.

"Happy Days" was very popular in Japan well after America lost interest. Sometimes it seems this happens with genres and niches here too, where buzz and interest is generated here but carries over outside the hallowed halls of the CGC forum even after some here have moved on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,074 posts
53 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

 

Hopefully some of the ones I already have!  :wishluck:  If I had to nominate a few candidates I'd pick Popular Teen-Agers Secrets of Love 11 & 15:

834685.jpg

834691.jpg

Wow. Those ARE great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315 posts
4 hours ago, pmpknface said:

 

Hopefully some of the ones I already have!  :wishluck:  If I had to nominate a few candidates I'd pick Popular Teen-Agers Secrets of Love 11 & 15:

834685.jpg

834691.jpg

Two outstanding candidates and two of Cole's best.  I love the color palettes on Cole's romance covers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,550 posts

I chose those 2 because I've seen decent, mid-at-best grade copies go for a few hundred easy.  If you've got any nominees I'd love to hear 'em!  Heck, I bet you could make a thread about that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,770 posts
On 8/1/2018 at 11:28 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Something I have noticed over the last 3-4 years in gold books is that the boards are ahead of (maybe creating) the curve. Something gets discussed and heats up here and then 3-4 months later it seems to get mass appeal outside of this incubator. Eventually interest starts to fade here but it may not fade in the comic buying community outside here for several months after this group has lost interest. In fact, sometimes the interest continues to pick up even after it cooled down some here.

"Happy Days" was very popular in Japan well after America lost interest. Sometimes it seems this happens with genres and niches here too, where buzz and interest is generated here but carries over outside the hallowed halls of the CGC forum even after some here have moved on. 

I wrote this on August 1 and last weeks Heritage Sunday auction seemed to back this up.  I had lamented the softening of Baker romance here on the boards recently, but I think there is still a strong market out there, even if it is softer here than it once was.  Just because most of the parties here have satisfied their collector needs in a certain genre or niche doesn’t mean the rest of the comic community has done so.  

Books I had for sale here for $450 and even offered 10% off on languished here but sold in the open auction market for over $1000.  

All that being said, it’s not just about the money. It’s about something that has aesthetic appeal, historical merit and has relative rarity.  I think St John books in particular have all of that as do most of the great eclectic golden age niches (Schomburg, PCH, Cole, Planet, Centaur, Fox/Fine, etc).  They are not dependent on the buzz of a new movie or in most cases the first appearance of this or that character. They are pure and simple throwbacks to a different era where guys really new how to draw and comic books got thrown out by your mom, especially if too sexy or horrific.  

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,762 posts
On August 1, 2018 at 8:41 AM, pmpknface said:

 

Hopefully some of the ones I already have!  :wishluck:  If I had to nominate a few candidates I'd pick Popular Teen-Agers Secrets of Love 11 & 15:

834685.jpg

834691.jpg

Two beauties for sure. Sadly, I have neither and am unlikely to. Redbeard turned me on to L.B. Cole many years ago. I bought up tons of them except for the romance because I didn't like "love books". Big mistake. Then, they hit the fire and the prices went nuts. I pretty much stopped buying them. They eventually cooled off a bit and I started up again. Never bought many of the "love books". Now they are hot again. Everything goes in cycles I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,762 posts
40 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I wrote this on August 1 and last weeks Heritage Sunday auction seemed to back this up.  I had lamented the softening of Baker romance here on the boards recently, but I think there is still a strong market out there, even if it is softer here than it once was.  Just because most of the parties here have satisfied their collector needs in a certain genre or niche doesn’t mean the rest of the comic community has done so.  

Books I had for sale here for $450 and even offered 10% off on languished here but sold in the open auction market for over $1000.  

All that being said, it’s not just about the money. It’s about something that has aesthetic appeal, historical merit and has relative rarity.  I think St John books in particular have all of that as do most of the great eclectic golden age niches (Schomburg, PCH, Cole, Planet, Centaur, Fox/Fine, etc).  They are not dependent on the buzz of a new movie or in most cases the first appearance of this or that character. They are pure and simple throwbacks to a different era where guys really new how to draw and comic books got thrown out by your mom, especially if too sexy or horrific.  

Well said Rick. 

What is the hottest now? Just ask Rick. For a "younger collector" he has an uncanny knack for predicting and even creating trends. 

So I guess it would be Planets. Do me a favor Rick and stay away from ECs. Just for a while...:roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,770 posts
1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Well said Rick. 

What is the hottest now? Just ask Rick. For a "younger collector" he has an uncanny knack for predicting and even creating trends. 

So I guess it would be Planets. Do me a favor Rick and stay away from ECs. Just for a while...:roflmao:

YES! Planet Comics are huge for the rest of the year at least. Here come the Mile Highs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,762 posts

You want to know what is hot? Just look at page one of the GA section here. Pre-code, Baker, Planet, L.B. Cole and Teenage books. These threads rarely slip to page two.

Me, I'm banking on the next big thing to be Super Duck. Great books and just look at the covers!

comsuperduck58.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,891 posts
14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You want to know what is hot? Just look at page one of the GA section here. Pre-code, Baker, Planet, L.B. Cole and Teenage books. These threads rarely slip to page two.

Me, I'm banking on the next big thing to be Super Duck. Great books and just look at the covers!

comsuperduck58.jpg

..And here's his first appearance! Started off as a Funny Animal/Superhero mash up then went straight Humor eventually. But gotta start with the' key' right?

Jolly Jingles #10 (#1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,116 posts
1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

You want to know what is hot? Just look at page one of the GA section here. Pre-code, Baker, Planet, L.B. Cole and Teenage books. These threads rarely slip to page two.

Me, I'm banking on the next big thing to be Super Duck. Great books and just look at the covers!

comsuperduck58.jpg

I’m discovering a lot of cool anthropomorphic animal titles myself lately. Comedy Comics has some great covers as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,762 posts

There are a LOT of great Funny Animal covers. Ha Ha and Giggle come to mind as do a lot of others. They are cheap  even in high grade. I sincerely doubt they will ever be "hot" but I'm OK swimming in the shallow end with them.

I wouldn't say the Timely funny animal books are "hot". But there are quite a few that bring healthy prices. I like the war covers especially with bondage!

comcomedy20paul.jpg

comcomedy21.jpg

comcomedy24.jpg

comterrytoons7.jpg

comallsurprise5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,762 posts

And then there are these "lessor ones"...

Great Wonder Duck cover

Terrytoons #39 2nd Mighty Mouse, Golf cover and Atom Bomb just for fun!

comwonderduck1.jpg

comterrytoons39.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,934 posts

Funny%20Frolics%20%201_zpsybpjyvfy.jpg

This one has a cool Nazi story inside too!

Morty%20Monk%20%20Buck%20Baboon%205_zpsq

Edited by Jayman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,069 posts

Great thread ! I’ve never seen these covers before, spectacular!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,891 posts
1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

There are a LOT of great Funny Animal covers. Ha Ha and Giggle come to mind as do a lot of others. They are cheap  even in high grade. I sincerely doubt they will ever be "hot" but I'm OK swimming in the shallow end with them.

I wouldn't say the Timely funny animal books are "hot". But there are quite a few that bring healthy prices. I like the war covers especially with bondage!

comcomedy20paul.jpg

comcomedy21.jpg

comcomedy24.jpg

comterrytoons7.jpg

comallsurprise5.jpg

:applause:Nice one's RM!

...And i can tell you, when offered( which is rare) HA HA 20 does bring a slight premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4