• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is currently the hottest genre?
2 2

94 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I wrote this on August 1 and last weeks Heritage Sunday auction seemed to back this up.  I had lamented the softening of Baker romance here on the boards recently, but I think there is still a strong market out there, even if it is softer here than it once was.  Just because most of the parties here have satisfied their collector needs in a certain genre or niche doesn’t mean the rest of the comic community has done so.  

Books I had for sale here for $450 and even offered 10% off on languished here but sold in the open auction market for over $1000.  

All that being said, it’s not just about the money. It’s about something that has aesthetic appeal, historical merit and has relative rarity.  I think St John books in particular have all of that as do most of the great eclectic golden age niches (Schomburg, PCH, Cole, Planet, Centaur, Fox/Fine, etc).  They are not dependent on the buzz of a new movie or in most cases the first appearance of this or that character. They are pure and simple throwbacks to a different era where guys really new how to draw and comic books got thrown out by your mom, especially if too sexy or horrific.  

….. you neglected to mention that St. John also has the coolest logo of all the GA publishers. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would vote for pre-code horror. There are at least 5 current running threads on the first page of GA right now. And MrMysterios's horror sales thread the other night was a bloodbath!  Man, I'm sure I got 95% of what I wanted back in the "old daze" when I could afford it. Funny, though, as complete as I think I am in this department, there was actually one minor book in MrMysterios's sales thread I still needed. I missed it of course but an awsome boardie flipped it my way because I needed it so much. This GA board sure is a wonderful place!

:popcorn:

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I wrote this on August 1 and last weeks Heritage Sunday auction seemed to back this up.  I had lamented the softening of Baker romance here on the boards recently, but I think there is still a strong market out there, even if it is softer here than it once was.  Just because most of the parties here have satisfied their collector needs in a certain genre or niche doesn’t mean the rest of the comic community has done so.  

Books I had for sale here for $450 and even offered 10% off on languished here but sold in the open auction market for over $1000.  

I think you're onto something . There are books sitting in your current sales thread that would've flown outta here within hours if not minutes mere months ago (at least by my observations). It's a feast-or-famine thing I guess.  It also seems a little competition within a sales thread will prompt more buyers to pull the trigger - that whole "frenzy" mentality. Threads where no one breaks the ice somehow seem to engender apathy well out of proportion to the material being offered.   (shrug)

Comics, fun to own, but also great chum for a spectator sport, I suppose.

Just now, PopKulture said:

I think you're onto something . There are books sitting in your current sales thread that would've flown outta here within hours if not minutes mere months ago (at least by my observations). It's a feast-or-famine thing I guess.  It also seems a little competition within a sales thread will prompt more buyers to pull the trigger - that whole "frenzy" mentality. Threads where no one breaks the ice somehow seem to engender apathy well out of proportion to the material being offered.   (shrug)

^^

Truth 

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

^^

Truth 

...also, the boards, as a market, are not as large as they seem. There's probably only a few hundred regular buyers who purchase a wide range, from Strawberry Shortcake to X-Men and everything in between. You may have a book one of them wants, but not in the desired grade. You may have listed all the ones they already have. Many sellers are niche oriented, and in a segmented market like comics, things are cyclical and change quickly. Unless you deal in keys and icons exclusively, the wash rinse repeat model will play out from time to time. PCH is a niche market and you can satisfy the demand of your specific market and not realize it until the inventory stops moving. GOD BLESS...

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

Usually by the time I notice a trend, it's already over! From my meager observations from here on the boards, that I realize is but a tiny slice of the collectors market, it seems Baker books and PCH are currently hot. So by that mentality, this book should be smokin'! (shrug)

Nightmare13.jpg

Isn't it?

13 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Probably more about timing. I’ve seen many books go for more than they should and less than they should on the sales thread. We also have a lot of “flippers” buying books here too as I see the same books often recycled (usually at higher prices) later.

How many buyers here are filling holes in collections or looking for profit later based solely on their purchases? 

40 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Probably more about timing. I’ve seen many books go for more than they should and less than they should on the sales thread. We also have a lot of “flippers” buying books here too as I see the same books often recycled (usually at higher prices) later.

How many buyers here are filling holes in collections or looking for profit later based solely on their purchases? 

:headbang:  Now, I do sell under copies or dupes as well as the occasional books I get cheap that I can make a few bucks on.

I recently bought a book here on the boards that I sold and it had been flipped twice. I got it for the same price I originally sold it for (I now think I got a good deal on it and it really is worth more).

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

:headbang:  Now, I do sell under copies or dupes as well as the occasional books I get cheap that I can make a few bucks on.

I recently bought a book here on the boards that I sold and it had been flipped twice. I got it for the same price I originally sold it for (I now think I got a good deal on it and it really is worth more).

I do both …. I've found bargains here and also had to pay very aggressive prices as well..... they're aren't many rubes around here, though. The bargains are usually books that can be had easily elsewhere, while the premium stuff is the material you don't want to dally with or you'll be back to looking. A Forum full of advanced collectors, like here, is probably not going to make a good litmus test for the market at large. GOD BLESS....

The boards are just another resource. I don’t think you can collect successfully without many resources. It does help that I actually like some of the people I buy from and enjoy the interchange be it Rick’s love of Peanuts/cheesecake or Jimjums “I won’t be sad if this doesn’t sell...” or just helping SolarBoy who is doing a good thing raising money to try and save his dog from cancer.

So yes, the sales threads here can be more personal.