• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage - adding Sales Tax to more states
1 1

134 posts in this topic

So as i sit here using the computer i paid sales taxes for (brought in), at a job where i earn money to pay my income tax, waiting for a chance to buy food where ill again pay sales tax...it got me thinking. By the time i drive home (buying gas and paying tax) and bringing home food (again paying more taxes) to turn on the lights (powered by energy being taxed yet again) to watch TV (paying again more taxes for the service)...the idea of paying this additional tax seems inevitable.

If i added it all up...we probably are paying 1/2 of the money we make in taxes...this is just another way to transfer money from you to them.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

So as i sit here using the computer i paid sales taxes for (brought in), at a job where i earn money to pay my income tax, waiting for a chance to buy food where ill again pay sales tax...it got me thinking. By the time i drive home (buying gas and paying tax) and bringing home food (again paying more taxes) to turn on the lights (powered by energy being taxed yet again) to watch TV (paying again more taxes for the service)...the idea of paying this additional tax seems inevitable.

If i added it all up...we probably are paying 1/2 of the money we make in taxes...this is just another way to transfer money from you to them.

You think you got it bad?  Try living in Canada or some of the Nordic countries!

Washington state got slapped with this too.   +10% now?  Ugg.  That's a big difference on 5k+ books.   Damn.

I can't imagine any legit company internet sales being tax free for much longer.  Glad I bought some big books before this happened.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:24 PM, gumbydarnit said:

I received notification that HA is about to charge sales tax in TN as well.

Will HA show the sales tax cost added to your “next bid” value on the live auction’s button? That would help if they did.

Got another e-mail today stating they do not have to collect sales tax for TN.

When you log in you now get this message 

For Comics & Comic Art: Effective September 1st, Heritage Auctions is required by state law to charge applicable sales tax on any items in this category delivered to addresses in the following states: Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Washington. Exemptions include dealers with valid sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed resale certificate, for the states listed

Would I save money at this point if I decided to relocate overseas?? hm 

If one is a non-dealer (just a regular collector) residing in the U.K., would one just pay a 5% duty on their HA shipments or is it more than that? 

13 hours ago, chromium said:

When you log in you now get this message 

For Comics & Comic Art: Effective September 1st, Heritage Auctions is required by state law to charge applicable sales tax on any items in this category delivered to addresses in the following states: Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Washington. Exemptions include dealers with valid sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed resale certificate, for the states listed

I wonder if they gave consignors a heads up this was going to happen. I would be mad if I submitted a big item to hear this news. IMO, the sales tax will be figured into the bid of the buyer, which effectively means less for the seller. I realize this is the future of online buying but HA sure seems anxious to lead the charge.

29 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If one is a non-dealer (just a regular collector) residing in the U.K., would one just pay a 5% duty on their HA shipments or is it more than that? 

I'm in Delaware, land of tax-free shopping.  You want to make a deal?

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I pay 32,5% duty + taxes shipped to Belgium  

Tried all kinds of loopholes...no ball :(  

Maybe wait for a hard Brexit :juggle:

Edited by chromium

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

I'm in Delaware, land of tax-free shopping.  You want to make a deal?

If the trend continues with all online sites I’m sure someone will set something up in Delaware. 

Tax his land, tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor, tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow, tax his goat,
Tax his pants, tax his coat.
Tax his ties, tax his shirts,
Tax his work, tax his dirt.

Tax his chew, tax his smoke,
Teach him taxes are no joke.
Tax his car, tax his grass,
Tax the roads he must pass.

Tax his food, tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.
Tax his sodas, tax his beers,
If he cries, tax his tears.

If he hollers, tax him more,
Tax him until he’s good and sore.
Tax his coffin, tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.

Edited by zhamlau

I spoke with Doug from Comiclink a couple of weeks ago and my understanding was that(shipping to) New York buyers will NOT be taxed as CLINK doesn't have offices in NY . At least that is for the time being (no guarantees for the future),but that does include the upcoming Feature Auction at Clink .That's good for me!

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Tax his land, tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor, tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow, tax his goat,
Tax his pants, tax his coat.
Tax his ties, tax his shirts,
Tax his work, tax his dirt.

Tax his chew, tax his smoke,
Teach him taxes are no joke.
Tax his car, tax his grass,
Tax the roads he must pass.

Tax his food, tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.
Tax his sodas, tax his beers,
If he cries, tax his tears.

If he hollers, tax him more,
Tax him until he’s good and sore.
Tax his coffin, tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.

I hate taxes!

11 hours ago, chromium said:

I pay 32,5% duty + taxes shipped to Belgium  

Tried all kinds of loopholes...no ball :(  

Maybe wait for a hard Brexit :juggle:

On the other hand, in exchange for paying a lot more for a luxury like art, you pay a fraction of what Americans have to pay for essentials like college tuition, healthcare, retirement, etc. 

Most of my colleagues are Europeans and they seem to view their take home pay as being almost all disposable income, with little need to save or invest, while i’m desperately trying to squirrel away money each month to cover college tuition (and I only have 1 kid to pay for) and to ensure my wife and I will have enough to live on after I retire.

8 hours ago, rrichards said:

I spoke with Doug from Comiclink a couple of weeks ago and my understanding was that(shipping to) New York buyers will NOT be taxed as CLINK doesn't have offices in NY . At least that is for the time being (no guarantees for the future),but that does include the upcoming Feature Auction at Clink .That's good for me!

It was brilliant for CL to move to Maine, as the number of comic collectors who reside there must be pretty minimal.