• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DK3: the Master Race

9 posts in this topic

Didn't much care for the story.  The interior art was bad as well.  I mean, I like Kubert, but he was imitating Miller and I honestly can't stand Miller's art style.  Ironically, the little one shot side stories were my favorite part about the whole series.

But those copies you have and the completion of most of the signatures is cool.

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Didn't much care for the story.  The interior art was bad as well.  I mean, I like Kubert, but he was imitating Miller and I honestly can't stand Miller's art style.  Ironically, the little one shot side stories were my favorite part about the whole series.

But those copies you have and the completion of most of the signatures is cool.

Thanks. I collected all the regular release copies with sigs, some of the variants and had to have the Dell Otto virgin of #8. I thought he nailed that scene. The covers are pretty good and so why not? I just wish the story line was better. It was a departure from the human side of the 1986 series and of course we have to get back into aliens and all that. Would have been nice to see the post nuclear bomb society trying to put itself back together. Could have been a lot of dystopia for Bats and Co to deal with. But what do I know? I don't even count the next series. That was horrible. Like Miller had so much contempt for the first series.

I agree about the inserts. I sort of ignored them at first, but after I accepted my disappointment with the featured story line, I went back and read the inserts.

Frankly ( no pun intended) I have always felt that The Dark Knight Returns could easily have been a one shot and ended at the first issue. Or a fatter version of the first issue. But again: What do I know?

I bought the individual "deluxe" hardcover issues as they were released, along with the final slipcase for the set, because I think it looks pretty snazzy. But that's about the best thing I can say about it. It wasn't a BAD story, it was just so underwhelming in relation to the hype and sheer tonnage of product released, not to mention the cost. I think those HCs were about $12 a pop, and the stories inside were definitely not worth that much. I honestly can't remember much about the actual story, something with Kryptonians from Kandor? Or maybe not? Who can say. As was mentioned above, the backup stories were much more entertaining than the main story. So, yeah, a big "whatever" storywise, but that slipcase set still looks pretty cool!

Disappointed overall, maybe because of my high expectations.  They had one awesome idea in utilizing the kryptonite but it wasn't enough to save it for me. The villain was also boring and very two dimensional.  As mentioned above, the covers and back-page short stories were great and made up for the price of admission. The story had potential but the dialogue was fan fiction level. I bought the OA for several covers and ended up selling them all. The one I decided to keep was by Jock but I traded it to Frank Miller. How can you say no to him?

Edited by Oddball