• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay user fen_vivia. Aka kenneth Cheung from San Fran Ca
2 2

159 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those are some big holes around the staple, that woul happen to an inner cover, if staples were popped to add a cover and reattached....

Experts will be along soon I hope.... :wishluck:

That's what I was thinking when I pulled it out and started to re-examine it....Thx

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Thanks for the pictures. Agreed that the bottom staple looks wonky. 

Was looking for a picture like this, to see how the art matches up. 

559076264_IMG_20200517_0050261002.thumb.jpg.aacac7a21926673e5909d4e8b7909134.jpg

Try these....I noticed a small stain on the bottom right corner of the outer cover that doesn’t touch second cover.

7F9D5A35-1018-4C8D-989C-D80128DF79D2.jpeg

1D1E3153-BA1C-4534-8AC8-AFE4DA63C471.jpeg

14D4B68D-B9B4-4015-8301-389D3CF75452.jpeg

B69D91AA-1DE2-4DD5-9D90-DE3AB0BEC45B.jpeg

A6281650-99FE-4EDA-8C0F-77654D6A3908.jpeg

23E4B02B-611B-4B4C-94D5-955CFD732503.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Let's just say that, if I had to bet, I wouldn't be betting on it being manufactured like that.

You’re probably right....I’m beginning to think that I’ve been had by this guy as well. If I’m not mistaken I paid around $160 for this book.

7 hours ago, TrayKnight said:

Try these....I noticed a small stain on the bottom right corner of the outer cover that doesn’t touch second cover.

7F9D5A35-1018-4C8D-989C-D80128DF79D2.jpeg

1D1E3153-BA1C-4534-8AC8-AFE4DA63C471.jpeg

14D4B68D-B9B4-4015-8301-389D3CF75452.jpeg

B69D91AA-1DE2-4DD5-9D90-DE3AB0BEC45B.jpeg

A6281650-99FE-4EDA-8C0F-77654D6A3908.jpeg

23E4B02B-611B-4B4C-94D5-955CFD732503.jpeg

The thing that caught my eye quickly, was that the “#1 collector’s item issue” artwork seems to be more faded on the second cover as though it has seen more light exposure than the outside cover, which doesn’t make sense if it has been covered by the outer cover all this time. Someone else can let me know if I’m wrong...

2 hours ago, dhgladiator said:

The thing that caught my eye quickly, was that the “#1 collector’s item issue” artwork seems to be more faded on the second cover as though it has seen more light exposure than the outside cover, which doesn’t make sense if it has been covered by the outer cover all this time. Someone else can let me know if I’m wrong...

As I was taking the pictures I noticed that as well. When I purchased this book I didn't know much about double covers and how to identify fakes.....or for that matter that a person could or would go thru the trouble of creating one. The boardies teach me something everyday.....wow.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, october said:

I like "OP exposes himself as a huge tool" backfire threads. :cloud9:

This confirms my theory that any boardie or ebay seller that refers to themselves in the plural form is a crook. 

4 hours ago, dhgladiator said:

That's printing, not fading. But yes, color differences also fail to inspire confidence in its legitimacy.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That's printing, not fading. But yes, color differences also fail to inspire confidence in its legitimacy.

So you're saying there's a chance 😁

Edited by TrayKnight

Even if the color difference is a printing variation, it wouldn't make sense for them to look that way. The two covers should have been printed at close to the same time, if not back-to-back. The color mix to make that blue would have been the same. The fact that it's the interior cover that's lighter and not the exterior makes it even worse. 

100% fake I think, given the seller's reputation, the enlarged staple holes, inconsistent wear, and printing difference. Sorry that happened to you. :(

11 minutes ago, october said:

Even if the color difference is a printing variation, it wouldn't make sense for them to look that way. The two covers should have been printed at close to the same time, if not back-to-back. The color mix to make that blue would have been the same. The fact that it's the interior cover that's lighter and not the exterior makes it even worse. 

100% fake I think, given the seller's reputation, the enlarged staple holes, inconsistent wear, and printing difference. Sorry that happened to you. :(

Thanks Andy.....you live and learn. Lucky for me this was my first and only purchase from this guy. The worst thing is he'll continue doing similar deeds to unsuspecting collectors. As a comic book hobbyist, you have to continually educate yourself...…..or you will eventually get got.