• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Shipping Restrictions???
2 2

166 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's been many years since I set up my Fedex account but I did it online, I don't recall it being difficult. Yes, you have to put your Fedex account number on the CGC form. CGC will not charge you for shipping or insurance. It is billed to your Fedex account. Fedex Ground from Florida gets to me in two days, always promptly delivered in the same time window around 10:AM. USPS has Priority but not necessarily 2 day Priority, sometimes it 3 days and it's delivered in a 3 to 4 hour window, for me late afternoon. In summary I get my packages from Fedex 2nd day 10:00AM. USPS Priority, at best 2nd day late afternoon. 

Interesting. How is the price comparison between USPS Registered Mail and FedEx (using your own account and insuring for the full amount)?

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

Interesting. How is the price comparison between USPS Registered Mail and FedEx (using your own account and insuring for the full amount)?

Well, the insurance through CIS is always "on", so it's not an extra cost per se.  IIRC, the difference with Registered and Fedex was ~$15-$20/package.

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

As I explained above, I utilize my CIS insurance on my Fedex shipments and as Transplant stated it's alway's on. So minimally, I don't have to worry about insurance. Fed Ex has a number of different options depending on where you live and how fast you want it. I use the equivalent of a 2 day Ground in the 20.00 range, add a signature for 3.00 . All I can say is it's a lot cheaper than using Registered, has Tracking that works, dependable, faster shipments, and for me the most important is the delivery time window is consistent, within 10 minutes. 

UPDATE:  After a week of calling everyday and and getting no answers, having my postman personally looking into the issue, and my mom going to our USPS office and leaving empty handed, I am just now told it's been sitting in that same post office for a WEEK and that they had put it with the international mail....how the hell does that happen?!  How does a package that is supposed to be under max security get put in the completely wrong place?  AND they can't even figure out the mistake?!  There is nothing international about it!  So now I will be going to pick it up tomorrow, a solid 10 days after it was supposed to be delivered.  Oh and the original tracking info was completely wrong, said it was an hour away and going to be delivered on a Monday, but then delivery was attempted on Wed.  The USPS is completely inept when it comes to registered mail...I am setting up a FedEx account and never using registered mail again.  

Edited by nrad1968

The Certified Collectibles Group recently asked its shipping carriers to prevent its shipments from being rerouted. This measure was taken to make it more difficult for packages to be rerouted and intercepted by unauthorized individuals.

We regret the inconvenience that this has caused our submitters. We believe immediate action was necessary, however, to provide a higher level of security to our customers and their collectibles.

14 minutes ago, Harshen said:

The Certified Collectibles Group recently asked its shipping carriers to prevent its shipments from being rerouted. This measure was taken to make it more difficult for packages to be rerouted and intercepted by unauthorized individuals.

We regret the inconvenience that this has caused our submitters. We believe immediate action was necessary, however, to provide a higher level of security to our customers and their collectibles.

@Harshen  I'll ask the same question I asked the nice ladies on the phone.  Why, if I have my own insurance and you're shipping under my Fedex account, will you not let me decide whether I want to bear the risk of a package being stolen as you describe?  This seems like trying to kill a gnat with a sledgehammer.  Can I instruct CGC to remove this restriction that I never asked for?

Edited by Transplant

Further, it is still possible to alter my shipping address before it ships to be delivered directly to a Fedex or other non-residential location.  Being able to do that doesn't support the idea that this move decreases the risk of a theft.  Someone could just as easily steal it at that address. 

2 hours ago, Harshen said:

There's a difference between having the packages rerouted (address changed en route) and held at a carrier facility (i.e. Fed Ex office). CGC's customers want and need the option to have packages held at carrier facilities for pickup. Not having this option is going to continue to alienate your customer base and will hit CGC's bottom line in the long run.

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

@Harshen  I'll ask the same question I asked the nice ladies on the phone.  Why, if I have my own insurance and you're shipping under my Fedex account, will you not let me decide whether I want to bear the risk of a package being stolen as you describe?  This seems like trying to kill a gnat with a sledgehammer.  Can I instruct CGC to remove this restriction that I never asked for?

This 100%. CGC's liability ends when they hand the package over to Fedex. Once Fedex has the shipment in their possession, any loss or theft must be resolved between the recipient and the carrier. Why then must CGC control what happens to packages when they are in the hands of the carrier?

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

There's a difference between having the packages rerouted (address changed en route) and held at a carrier facility (i.e. Fed Ex office). CGC's customers want and need the option to have packages held at carrier facilities for pickup. Not having this option is going to continue to alienate your customer base and will hit CGC's bottom line in the long run.

+1000

@CGC: is there a way to disallow an address change en route, but still allow us to select the option to have the package held at FedEx facility while en route? (Those are two separate options in FedEx delivery manager - seems that one could be disabled without the other being disabled) I can't imagine a more secure situation than the package being held at the FedEx facility for pickup...which requires my photo ID before they will release the package. Please?

this is not just Fedex/USPS issue.  I had a CGC delivery by UPS do 3 attempts last week when I was on a trip.  On friday called the info# and heard a recording say that package available for pickup this monday morning.  Great, but this morning I try, and I am told this box has already been sent back to CGC, per CGC request, that after 3 del. attempts box will not be held at hub for even a minute, it is returned back to them.  I literally never had even a minute to ever physically get box. very bummed, very expensive box that I have been waiting to get for quite awhile, and it now getting road wear bouncing around trucks enduring florida heat and humidity and rough handling on a never ending road trip. Rep I spoke to said this was entirely a CGC request, 3 del. attempts then sent back, no holds at a hub allowed, online didnt even have option available for hold. 

Edited by gcstomp

On 7/31/2018 at 12:41 PM, I like pie said:

So I'm on vacation and I have a submission in. I won't be back until 8/4 and once I heard about this new restriction, i emailed cgc and requested them to ship any day after 7/31. They said no problem. They ended up shipping it today and is scheduled to arrive 8/3.

Now what?

To follow up, I was still out of town on Friday on the first delivery attempt. When I got back Saturday there wasn't a fed ex slip, which I thought was odd, but the next delivery attempt was set for today and I could be home to get it. I'm outside working on my car and see a fed ex truck drive right by. I look at the tracking info and it says they attempted to delivery today and no one was here. I call Fed Ex to see if they can send the driver back. Maybe he was going to the wrong address. They say he came and no answer and a second notice was left and it will be shipped back to CGC if a third attempt doesn't work.

I ask if I can have it held at the local fed ex kinkos for pick up and, of course, they say CGC set restrictions for that. They are attempting to contact the driver to send him back today. Now I have to stay here the rest of the day in case he comes back.

What a mess.:eyeroll:

Yes, something weird is going on with Fedex shipments these days. I had one scheduled for delivery last Wednesday, but mid-day the estimated delivery was updated to Thursday. Thursday comes and there's another delivery exception that occurred without an attempted delivery. That same day a Fedex Ground truck stops in front of my house for several minutes and then drives off without any deliveries. I called FedEx that same day to find out why there were two delivery exceptions on this package and they didn't know. The person I spoke to said they would make sure it was delivered the next day and it was. I work from home, so I'm usually around to receive deliveries but what is someone who works outside of the home supposed to do? That was potentially three days of work they would have had to miss to receive delivery of one package. I don't think this is a coincidence. Since CGC has put this restriction in place it seems to be fouling up the entire delivery system.

5 hours ago, I like pie said:

To follow up, I was still out of town on Friday on the first delivery attempt. When I got back Saturday there wasn't a fed ex slip, which I thought was odd, but the next delivery attempt was set for today and I could be home to get it. I'm outside working on my car and see a fed ex truck drive right by. I look at the tracking info and it says they attempted to delivery today and no one was here. I call Fed Ex to see if they can send the driver back. Maybe he was going to the wrong address. They say he came and no answer and a second notice was left and it will be shipped back to CGC if a third attempt doesn't work.

I ask if I can have it held at the local fed ex kinkos for pick up and, of course, they say CGC set restrictions for that. They are attempting to contact the driver to send him back today. Now I have to stay here the rest of the day in case he comes back.

What a mess.:eyeroll:

So the driver lied and didn't make an attempt?

I'd report it. Complete BS.

4 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Yes, something weird is going on with Fedex shipments these days. I had one scheduled for delivery last Wednesday, but mid-day the estimated delivery was updated to Thursday. Thursday comes and there's another delivery exception that occurred without an attempted delivery. That same day a Fedex Ground truck stops in front of my house for several minutes and then drives off without any deliveries. I called FedEx that same day to find out why there were two delivery exceptions on this package and they didn't know. The person I spoke to said they would make sure it was delivered the next day and it was. I work from home, so I'm usually around to receive deliveries but what is someone who works outside of the home supposed to do? That was potentially three days of work they would have had to miss to receive delivery of one package. I don't think this is a coincidence. Since CGC has put this restriction in place it seems to be fouling up the entire delivery system.

It adds an unnecessary and complicated layer of possibilities that increases not only the costs to Fed Ex (which will eventually mean rate increases to cover lost time and costs) but also increases unnecessary exposure of the books to the rigors of travel back and forth across the country.

I work from home, so I'm usually around to receive deliveries but what is someone who works outside of the home supposed to do?

I have my packages sent to my workplace.  I'm a little surprised by the number of posts/responses that this isn't a more readily available option for boardies.

47 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It adds an unnecessary and complicated layer of possibilities that increases not only the costs to Fed Ex (which will eventually mean rate increases to cover lost time and costs) but also increases unnecessary exposure of the books to the rigors of travel back and forth across the country.

I will add that one of the books I received had a detached cover as the result of what many on the boards believe to be SCS. I can't prove that the extra two days on the Fed Ex truck directly contributed to this, but it certainly didn't help.

Edited by MadGenius

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I have my packages sent to my workplace.  I'm a little surprised by the number of posts/responses that this isn't a more readily available option for boardies.

Nice if you can do it, but a lot of large businesses discourage that. Where I worked there were two guards downstairs and 8 different floors, the mail was not directed to the building, it was sent by courier from a another address. There was no way to have my mail held there, nor would i want to have to carry a really heavy box to wherever I parked my car. I worked in lower Manhattan, sometimes I'd be parked 10 blocks away..