• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Canadians! Do you have a problem with US Border Patrol?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

I’m back and forth between Toronto and New York very frequently as I split time in both cities throughout the year, and one of the best things I did like 8 years ago was get Nexus. Basically never have to talk to any border agents on either side, and it has saved me over an hour+ more times than I can remember when I happened to arrive behind a few large international flights (and at least 10-20mins normally). Both my wife and I have it, and we even got it for our daughter when she was 6mos old, as everyone in your party has to have it or you can’t use it when traveling together). 

Surprisingly cheap (like <$100), you get US Global Entry included, the only downside is you need to do an interview at a border city which can take time to schedule. But if you can, just get it done and enjoy the benefits for years to come (easy renewals every 5 years). 

Well, I was just reading that you should not be bringing any of your electronic equipment (i.e. cell phones, computers, iPads, etc) as U.S. Customs officials have the right to access them and go through all of their contents when you try to cross the border.  (tsk)

Especially true if you happen to have direct equity investments in any of the cannabis companies or indirect investments through mutual funds that might own shares in a company that supports or facilitates (i.e. steel for construction, fertilizer, hydro electric utilities, etc.) the operation of a cannabis company.  Would this not include anybody who owns mutual funds?  Since cannabis is still considered to be an illegal controlled substance from the federal point of view in the U.S., you could be barred from ever entering the United States as you could be seen as aiding and abetting and hence profiteering from the proceeds of crime.  :devil:

Sounds like your usual typical Trump logic.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I imagine it depends on whether the respective agents are having to deal with visitors or citizens returning home. I find crossing back into Canada to be far more of a pain than heading into the US. One agent asked me if I'd been away from my vehicle at any time while visiting the US. Naturally, I had. She then asked me how I could be sure no one had hidden drugs underneath and was following me home, ready to retrieve their hidden stash as soon as I crossed the border. Alarmed, I told her she was right - I didn't have any way of knowing and asked her if I should get out so the two of us could check underneath my car. She said, "Naw, don't worry about it," and waved me through. :screwy:

Coming to theatres soon Super Troopers 3: Bored Border Patrol 

I have probably crossed the US/Canadian border hundreds of times. US border Patrol is tough on everyone. What I find more interesting is how much harder Canadian border Patrol officers are on Canadians than us citizens. They barely ask us citizens questions but give Canadians the fifth degree. 

16 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I was in California once and a cute salesgirl, surprised to find out I was Canadian, smiled and said, "Wow...you hide it so well." 

As soon as she said that you say "It's all aboot playing it cool, eh?" and start eating poutine. 

18 hours ago, JollyComics said:
21 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I find the US customs to be more strict than the Canadian customs.  

Really!

It all depends on what you're bringing across and why.

And the mood of the guard that day. Each crossing is ENTIRELY up to the discretion of the guard.

In the US, they don't want you coming in to conduct business and take their money out of the country. Hence the need for Green Cards and Visas if you want to work in the US. They want to make sure you pay your taxes on anything you earn in the US.

Similar in Canada (for Americans coming up) but they seem to be a little more lenient in that as long as you have a manifest of your inventory coming and leaving and pay your taxes they're OK with it.

I've been searched heavily upon returning to Canada but it's usually more prevalent when you are just over and back over a short period of time. I guess they want to make sure you're not smuggling anything.

As far as bringing money across in either direction, it's not illegal. They just want to keep track of it  and you have to be able to provide a reasonable explanation of where the money originated from (again, it needs to be legal sources as they are trying to prevent money laundering).

What I don't understand is why they make it mandatory to declare anything over $10K and yet often ask how much you have if it's below $10K

The last time I went up to pick up a log check, I was searched (US customer).  They said they were looking for money.  I just have my wife go up each week.  She has never been searched.  

Back when i was 18, my friend and I used to cross, and each purchase a six pack of Brador. ?sp  I had a 72 Dodge Demon.  The Canadian customs wanted to look in the trunk.  I explained I needed a screwdriver.  (There was just a big hole where the key usually goes.  After 2 trips the guy came back with the right screwdriver.  This car had a huge trunk.  When I opened it, the trunk was full of beer cans, bottles.  The guy took a look without touching anything.  My friend said there's no trust in this world, and we left to get the beer.

I crossed the North Dakota border a couple of weeks ago to pick up ASM #12. The young lady at US Customs and the young guy at Canada Customs were both very nice and both were interested and knowledgeable when I told them exactly what comic book I was bringing back. The Canada Customs guy was quite surprised that the book only cost me $120 but I had the eBay sale printout so he was cool about it. He let me go without having to pay anything so it was all good.

I cross almost weekly for work and have never had issues. The lady once told me that if you cross frequently you usually never have an issue, but when you seldom cross, you raise more suspicion? Go figure.... Of course when I'm crossing on the train, we never get stopped.

I cross a lot with my wife as well and she is a German citizen. When I am with her we always have to pull over and go through all of the motions. Even our car is tossed quite often. If it is just me, then nothing. 

21 hours ago, CKinTO said:

I’m back and forth between Toronto and New York very frequently as I split time in both cities throughout the year, and one of the best things I did like 8 years ago was get Nexus. Basically never have to talk to any border agents on either side, and it has saved me over an hour+ more times than I can remember when I happened to arrive behind a few large international flights (and at least 10-20mins normally). Both my wife and I have it, and we even got it for our daughter when she was 6mos old, as everyone in your party has to have it or you can’t use it when traveling together). 

Surprisingly cheap (like <$100), you get US Global Entry included, the only downside is you need to do an interview at a border city which can take time to schedule. But if you can, just get it done and enjoy the benefits for years to come (easy renewals every 5 years). 

I've been meaning to get Nexus for years but that enrolment process gives me the shivers. I would enjoy the benefits however. 

Had to drop across the border after work today to pick up a Batman 232 coming my way courtesy of @oakman29

The young Canadian border guard was friendly and quite surprised to discover the entire $550 value I was declaring was one comic book. Curious to know more about it, he asked, "Is it worth so much because it's never been taken out of the package?" 

14 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Had to drop across the border after work today to pick up a Batman 232 coming my way courtesy of @oakman29

The young Canadian border guard was friendly and quite surprised to discover the entire $550 value I was declaring was one comic book. Curious to know more about it, he asked, "Is it worth so much because it's never been taken out of the package?" 

Should have taken it 'out of the package' right then and there and blown his mind. 

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Should have taken it 'out of the package' right then and there and blown his mind. 

And then asked for a refund of your fees, since - out of the package - it’s worth much, much less.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, comicdonna said:

The last time I went up to pick up a log check, I was searched (US customer).  They said they were looking for money.  I just have my wife go up each week.  She has never been searched.  

Back when i was 18, my friend and I used to cross, and each purchase a six pack of Brador. ?sp  I had a 72 Dodge Demon.  The Canadian customs wanted to look in the trunk.  I explained I needed a screwdriver.  (There was just a big hole where the key usually goes.  After 2 trips the guy came back with the right screwdriver.  This car had a huge trunk.  When I opened it, the trunk was full of beer cans, bottles.  The guy took a look without touching anything.  My friend said there's no trust in this world, and we left to get the beer.

I used to go to Canaduh all the time, but have recently got tired of the cavity searches.  Those slabs aren't that easy to fit in anymore - especially the new-new cases.  :frown:

On 7/26/2018 at 6:36 PM, comicdonna said:

72 Dodge Demon :cloud9: Brador not so much.Did you ever try Molson Extra Old Stock?Similar,but I liked that one better.

Was the car orange?I'm picturing it orange.

8 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

72 Dodge Demon :cloud9: Brador not so much.Did you ever try Molson Extra Old Stock?Similar,but I liked that one better.

Was the car orange?I'm picturing it orange.

When we were living in Eugene back in the 80s, we got the Vancouver TV channel, which included a lot of the Vancouver Canucks games.  At that time we could get the big 25 oz oil cans of O'Keefe's to enjoy during the game.  I couldn't find it, but the commercial I really remember was a big water fall, and the jingle, "O'Keefe's Extra Old Stock - Great Big Taste!"