• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you willing to pay more for a book that is in a CGC case?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, catman76 said:

Heck no. I'd be taking it out of the case anyway if I ever bought a comic that was on one.

I can understand this. 

When CGC first came around, I thought it wouldn't last.  I figured no one would want a book they could not read.  :screwy:

Clearly, I was wrong in my assumption and as you can see from my sig line, I prefer my books raw, however, I will buy CGC books when a book comes along that I want and it happens to be in a case.

10 hours ago, Badger said:

I always figure in the cost of slabbing when buying raw. 

That's it in a nutshell.  If you want a slabbed comic, someone has to pay to send it in to slab it.  It's either you, or the seller of the already slabbed comic.  If the seller can't recoup that cost, why would they continue to slab copies of that book, and why should they take the time to slab books?

if you want a slabbed book but don't want to pay extra for it, it's equivalent to saying, "hey, gimme $20".

A few random thoughts.  On anything really expensive ($1K+) I would only stick with slabs.  As for lower priced stuff (under $100), I would actually pay a premium for a raw copy (all else being equal) because I wouldn't want the risk or hassle of de-slabbing it.

As for a 5.0 selling for more than a 6.0, I don't have a problem with that depending on the situation.  I would gladly pay more for an "inferior copy" as long as the handful of deal breaker issues for me are not existent.  To me, these are deal breakers (won't buy book):

-non-centered wrap (even a half mm of the back cover on the front, especially at an angle, is unacceptable to me)

-off-centered books (bar codes/comic codes that touch the border, book is printed slightly diagonal, etc.)

-any writing (including date stamps, ink stains, autographs, etc.)

-all but the slightest and most trivial tears

For my part, if I could not resell the book, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have a VF perfectly wrapped, well centered book free of writing that has honest wear, spine ticks, etc. over AT LEAST 50% of the 9.6-9.8 books of the silver and bronze age and a good chunk of Copper at that.  I'm absolutely APPALLED at the rampant amount of WAY off centered and mis-wrapped books and books with HAND writing that are sitting in high grades. 

In general, I agree that the slabbing process should add some value to a book.

I don't actively seek out graded copies but would consider a graded one slightly more valuable as it has been scrutinized and protected.

I don't think all books deserve to be graded/slabbed but to each their own. Competing for sets in the registry interests some folks and others simply like their collection slabbed. I prefer raw- cheaper, readable and easily accessed. My collection is nothing stellar and i don't think I have any books worth thousands like many here do-- those types of books might warrant being slabbed.

I have a total of 2 books that are in slabs, thanks to this board and the various contests. I bought raw copies of those books to allow me to read them without disturbing the slabbed copy.

17 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

In general, I agree that the slabbing process should add some value to a book.

I don't actively seek out graded copies but would consider a graded one slightly more valuable as it has been scrutinized and protected.

I don't think all books deserve to be graded/slabbed but to each their own. Competing for sets in the registry interests some folks and others simply like their collection slabbed. I prefer raw- cheaper, readable and easily accessed. My collection is nothing stellar and i don't think I have any books worth thousands like many here do-- those types of books might warrant being slabbed.

I have a total of 2 books that are in slabs, thanks to this board and the various contests. I bought raw copies of those books to allow me to read them without disturbing the slabbed copy.

There is so much in your posts that I agree with that I could not simply hit the like button. (thumbsu

1) I also don't seek out graded copies for myself, however, if I want the book and it happens to be in a case, I buy it anyway.

2) I can't agree more that some books don't deserve even the cost to slab them, however, people are entitled to do what they want with their books and cash.

3) Although I own numerous slabbed books, I don't think I own even ONE book in a slab that I don't have at least one other raw copy available for reading.

All things equal I would prefer the slabbed book so that the grade would be relatively accurate and it would be inspected for restoration. I read most of my comics online anyway, although I do appreciate the tactile experience of handling the comic and flipping actual pages, oh and that smell of a 40-50 year old comic (bottle that mess and sell it Armani) 

On 7/25/2018 at 3:21 AM, tth2 said:

Did I just flashback to 2002?

I know. This conversation was being had 15 years ago. We're going to next be discussing if the Earth is flat.

5 hours ago, Hudson said:

3) Although I own numerous slabbed books, I don't think I own even ONE book in a slab that I don't have at least one other raw copy available for reading.

yep-- when I got the DD #9 several years ago (July 2015), I started hunting for a reader copy and found one with a detached cover for about 8 bucks a little over a year and a half later (Feb 2017).

Now that I picked up an Avengers 142 from toro in the most recent reading contest, I am on the prowl for a cheap reader to accompany it. The goal is to get something super cheap-- like dollar bin cheap. Unlike the Daredevil book, the Avengers are not one of my focus collection areas so it might take a longer for me to really dig one out somewhere. Sort of low on the priority list honestly. I think I picked that prize mostly because I thought the cover was cool.

Edited by 01TheDude

After buying enough copies of "VF+"  on feeBay to find out that the seller doesn't know the difference between VG & VF, I pretty much go for slabs only on expensive stuff. Not worth the hassle otherwise. There are some sellers here that I would have no problem buying raw from, but not ebay. I only use that to buy lower grade raw keys semi-keys on the cheap that can flip easily as run fillers.

9 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I know. This conversation was being had 15 years ago. We're going to next be discussing if the Earth is flat.

Sorry, I am rather new to the forum and was not here for the conversation 15 years ago.

My intention was not to take up space with a question that had already been discussed.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, KPR Comics said:

I don't pay a premium for the slab.  Instead, I pay a discounted price for the raw. 

I set new GPA lows all the time for slabbed merchandise.  Usually, I pay a discounted price for slabs.

Edited by lizards2