• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing is it worth it?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

Hello community!

This is my first time posting, so be kind, and I apologize if this question has been asked and is deep in the bowels of the CGC forms. 

Is pressing worth it? Can pressing bring a grade up from 8.5 to a 9.0 +? 

I ask because I will be getting some books back from from CGC shorty that I had graded. Two of my books have came back with a grade of 8.5 because of light bends to the cover spine stress and or light creases in the cover. Although I am over all happy with the grades if sending the books back for pressing will get me up to a 9.0 grade or higher then why not.

Thank you for the help. 

Edited by bhagen61

I am guessing by the lack of response to this post that the answer is no, it is not worth it.  I will not be sending my X-Men #1 special edition by Jim Lee (current grade 8.5) to get pressed then. Thank you for the help.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:16 PM, bhagen61 said:

Hello community!

This is my first time posting, so be kind, and I apologize if this question has been asked and is deep in the bowels of the CGC forms. 

Is pressing worth it? Can pressing bring a grade up from 8.5 to a 9.0 +? 

I ask because I will be getting some books back from from CGC shorty that I had graded. Two of my books have came back with a grade of 8.5 because of light bends to the cover spine stress and or light creases in the cover. Although I am over all happy with the grades if sending the books back for pressing will get me up to a 9.0 grade or higher then why not.

Thank you for the help. 

Light bends in the cover can be pressed.  Depending on the nature of the spine stress (chunks of color missing or white streaks down the spine), a press will most likely not help.  The light creases on the cover would benefit from a press as long as they are not color breaking.  You might get more response if you posted a high-res scan for the more experienced (that's not me) to scrutinize and add their commentary.

With regards to your second comment ("by the lack of reponse..."), don't be too hasty to shut down your own thread.  

Edited by celluloidbuff

The answer comes when you do the math. Add up what it will cost: shipping, pressing, grading fees, plus shipping again..  the calculate how much an upgradei would increase the value of the book. If increase does not cover the upgrade costs, don’t bother.  There are other issues at play, but basically this is how you decide. If the book will stay with you for many years, higher grade is better to have.  But if flipping the book, or selling it, why lose money?

I concur with the financial analysis aspect = is it worth it ? You only mentioned the light bends, were there other notes ? It really helps to cut and paste the EXACT grader's notes to get a proper response. If only light bends were mentioned, and they did not say 'color breaking', the odds of an improvement are very high, maybe a couple bumps higher.

Yes pressing in a general sense can be worth it depending on if there are creases that don't break color (as in turns the color white, that would be a color breaking crease and can not be pressed out).  A book such as X-Men #1 (1991) is a very cool book with a great cover but not valuable by any means due to its huge print run and taking the book you already had graded to get regraded wouldn't make any financial sense at all.  I'd suggest getting a higher grade copy to begin with raw (not graded) if you'd like to get a higher grade back from CGC for your own personal collection.  It isn't a book to invest in but maybe it has sentimental value for you, hence your wanting of a higher grade.

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

The cost of subbing that book is not warranted to begin with. :baiting:

I have a 9.8 signed by Stan Lee and I plan to get Jim, Chris, and Scott before all is said and done.  People like knowing that their books are touched and signed by their favorite creators.  And on such a nostalgic cover to boot.  I've reached a point where i would rather have some cheapo book with a nice looking cover signed than to ruin a major key with far lower print run and even fewer available copies in high grade.  In that regard, X-Men #1 v2 is the perfect book to have signed.  Certainly more so than X-Men #1 v1 in even a mid-grade.

(That said, I probably have some signed keys at CGC waiting to get graded and sent back to me, but those were sent in months ago before I've had this change of heart.  :sorry:)