• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing is it worth it?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've witnessed a wax paper experiment first hand. It melts and sticks to the paper. The book was ruined. I do not know the temperature applied. All in all, a totally stupid idea.

In all seriousness I do appreciate the advice.  As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread I'll probable try the iron idea on a comic from the .50 cent or dollar bin. With that being said I will further add it may be several months if not year(s) before I comfortable enough to do that with a comic I would want to slab 

I could seriously see me burning a hole into a comic the first few times I even try it. If not having the famed iron burn mark lol hell I still have a least one shirt that I burnt with an iron. but getting off subject. Anyway wax paper good for cookies not good for pressing comics :idea:

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

No one is going to tell you this, but if you are serious, you are going to need one of these:

See the source image

Blowie...you better tell them how to use this or they'll be poking holes in their melted wax covered books.  :grin:

PS - My dry mount press has a thermocouple built right into the heating element.  The digital thermometer is useful to calibrate the thermocouple as well as ensuring temperature uniformity across the platen.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree with Jerkfro.

:popcorn:

When using wax paper to press books, make sure you pre-heat the oven to 350°. Otherwise, your books will cook unevenly.

My first couple dozen paninis came out really bad.....but I'm learning!!

15 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Just in case: I am not liable in anyway to any damage you might cause to your comic. 

Good luck!

Sure you are, you gave him the idea ! Just joking but in all seriousness this is exactly the reason I don't think you should have come on here and advocated this. Somebody will screw up a good book because they think the Boards give solid advice and read your thread. Look at how he asked about using wax paper ? A totally stupid idea, heat and wax don't mix. People do stupid things, that's why they put labels on alcohol bottles to not drink while pregnant. I do stupid things, I cut off my big toe with a lawn mower years ago. Just don't give them a stupid idea to run with. If ironing works for you, great, but don't advise others. Rant over. 

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you're serious about self-pressing, buy a Seal 160 or 210 dry mount press. You should at least have the right equipment.

I dry mounted with a seal once. You should have seen the mess.........oh wait, different topic. My bad

5 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you're serious about self-pressing, buy a Seal 160 or 210 dry mount press. You should at least have the right equipment.

I dry mounted with a seal once. You should have seen the mess.........oh wait, different topic. My bad

MuSMbWz.gif

3 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

If it was a seal, there probably wasn't anything dry about it....I know how you get with sea creatures...

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

If it was a seal, there probably wasn't anything dry about it....I know how you get with sea creatures...

Something fishy about me, no doubt

On 7/31/2018 at 12:24 PM, thehumantorch said:

Sure, bad stuff can happen.  Anytime you ship a book there's a chance it could be damaged in transit.  Anytime you remove a book from a bag there's a chance you could snag a corner or break off a piece off a fragile cover or cause a tape pull.  Anytime you apply humidity, heat and pressure to a comic there's a chance something could go wrong, especially if the book is brittle.

In general, pressing books that could benefit from a press will increase their appearance and monetary value.  They'll often look better but it won't improve their personality.  I've had books go up in value 10 fold because of a press.  I've never had a book damaged from a press but while rare it could certainly happen.

Also, not all pressors are equal.  If you send  book in choose a reputable, experienced and skilled person to do the job.

i got an xmen 94 like this. pressed to shizt. flat as a pancake from Ihop.    No. Personality. What. So. Ever

"So why did you buy it Tough-Guy you ask."

Well I gotta a whole long box of books i bought after a 30 years away. I was uneducated and excitable. Still am though I have learned a thing or two around here for the two years I've been badgering you fine folks here. Overpaid on lots and lots of stuff. But damn are they are some nice books and what do my heirs care that they're selling 'em for the exact amount I paid for 'em. They're gonna be rich and I'm dead. :sorry:

Edited by NoMan

New here and saw this thread. Sorry to hijack it but I have a question about foil covers. I have Venom #1 lethal protector gold foil cover. I was told having your books pressed and cleaned is a must if you want the best from them as far as grade goes but I heard some people will pass on getting foil covers pressed. Should I get my Venom #1 pressed? Will it ruin it? Thanks.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:29 PM, lizards2 said:

In before the lock...,

On 7/29/2018 at 5:55 AM, joeypost said:

Scans would be helpful, but based on the notes it appears a proper press might result in a grade bump.  Light bends are not really something to be chasing after.

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

On 8/2/2018 at 5:37 AM, ASM 300 said:

New here and saw this thread. Sorry to hijack it but I have a question about foil covers. I have Venom #1 lethal protector gold foil cover. I was told having your books pressed and cleaned is a must if you want the best from them as far as grade goes but I heard some people will pass on getting foil covers pressed. Should I get my Venom #1 pressed? Will it ruin it? Thanks.

Trust me, no matter what anyone tells you, don't even think about getting this book pressed. It is a hot book, very valuable, just submit it as is. If you want to experiment, do it on the red cover version.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Trust me, no matter what anyone tells you, don't even think about getting this book pressed. It is a hot book, very valuable, just submit it as is. If you want to experiment, do it on the red cover version.

Well I wasn't going to do the pressing. I was just going to send it to CGC for grading and have them do it. Tried talking to a rep but she wasn't much help. As far as this book goes. It's NM. Sits flat with no dents. If anything. I'll wipe it down to make sure there are no finger prints on it. I just want to know if anyone else has had any issues with pressing foil covers. Will it cause lifting, dual the cover or flaking. Just can't get ahold of anyone at CGC that can tell me. Really don't want to spend a bunch of money experimenting. Rather spend that on slabbing books.

5 hours ago, ASM 300 said:

Well I wasn't going to do the pressing. I was just going to send it to CGC for grading and have them do it. Tried talking to a rep but she wasn't much help. As far as this book goes. It's NM. Sits flat with no dents. If anything. I'll wipe it down to make sure there are no finger prints on it. I just want to know if anyone else has had any issues with pressing foil covers. Will it cause lifting, dual the cover or flaking. Just can't get ahold of anyone at CGC that can tell me. Really don't want to spend a bunch of money experimenting. Rather spend that on slabbing books.

Well, if it's already NM, why do you need to press it ? I stand by my previous statement, this is too valuable a book to chance it. BTW, no matter what the rep, or anybody else tells you, if you submit this for pressing, and damage occurs, this is on you.  Also, I don't think you are supposed to 'wipe' finger prints off, they only smear. You need to dab.