• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is House Of Secrets #92 the next Incredible Hulk #181?

60 posts in this topic

This guy seems to price his stuff on the high side. I just checked gpa this morning on asm129 7.0 and it was just under 1k. He’s got the same grade for sale but with sigs for an additional 2k. 

?

1 minute ago, bentbryan said:

This guy seems to price his stuff on the high side. I just checked gpa this morning on asm129 7.0 and it was just under 1k. He’s got the same grade for sale but with sigs for an additional 2k. 

?

I get Wrightson probably won't be signing anymore stuff this side of a seance, but his ask is WAY out of line. Even his bottom line price is out of line. I guess it will sit there.

7 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I get Wrightson probably won't be signing anymore stuff this side of a seance, but his ask is WAY out of line. Even his bottom line price is out of line. I guess it will sit there.

FWIW I forwarded one of his listings to a friend of mine. He is actually very familiar the seller as chance would have it. Didn’t have anything good to report ?

On 7/27/2018 at 5:59 PM, bentbryan said:

FWIW I forwarded one of his listings to a friend of mine. He is actually very familiar the seller as chance would have it. Didn’t have anything good to report ?

There are a couple of sellers on ebay that stand out as "unreasonable" when pricing out their comic books. I wonder if they wonder why their books sit around? Maybe they don't. here's a good example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-LANTERN-76-89-CGC-SS-VF-NM-ALL-14-SIGNED-NEAL-ADAMS-DENNY-O-NEIL-1970/221223227017?hash=item3381ee8e89%3Ag%3AZ8gAAMXQCndRhVPq%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!05059!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=green+lantern+76&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

I can't buy from him because I posed that very question. I got "blacklisted". Not that I could buy from them in the first place. Their pricing isn't speculative, like IH #181 seems to be. It's just high.

Really:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-27-VF-LG-FORMAT-13-5-8-x-10-FAMOUS-1ST-ED-REPRINT-1939-1975/222021086113?hash=item33b17ceba1:g:sf8AAOSwezVWvEYf:sc:USPSPriority!05059!US!-1

Is that right?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-JOKER-2-CGC-SS-9-4-SIGNED-BATMAN-LEGEND-JERRY-ROBINSON-JOKER-CREATOR-1975/321597336619?hash=item4ae0b1ec2b:g:JRAAAOSwD0lUc82M:sc:USPSPriority!05059!US!-1

Good one, boss!:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAMP-THING-7-CGC-SS-9-4-SIGNED-ARTIST-BERNIE-WRIGHTSON-BATMAN-CROSSOVER-1973/222648341357?hash=item33d6e0136d:g:eY8AAOSwJs1ZvwIM:sc:USPSPriority!05059!US!-1

Edited by Randall Ries

6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

To answer the question posed in the topic, no.

No, I suppose not. Perhaps in the long run, HOS 92 will still be holding its value after the IH 181 bubble bursts. I can't believe how asking prices have jumped just in the last 3 months. I think it's a risky gamble. HOS 92 had always been an accurately priced book, not easy for the average collector to buy at any time.

I wish Peter Jackson, with a really fat budget, would do a Swamp Thing movie.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

No, I suppose not. Perhaps in the long run, HOS 92 will still be holding its value after the IH 181 bubble bursts. I can't believe how asking prices have jumped just in the last 3 months. I think it's a risky gamble. HOS 92 had always been an accurately priced book, not easy for the average collector to buy at any time.

I wish Peter Jackson, with a really fat budget, would do a Swamp Thing movie.

Part of the problem is that HOS 92 is more of a prototype. In the long run, I expect that demand will be balanced between HOS and Swamp Thing 1

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

Let me rephrase. In heavy demand, but due to people who like Swamp Thing, or people that are speculating?

Due to people who want House of Secrets #92

Edited by Heronext

6 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Due to people who want House of Secrets #92

Or more likely a long somewhat undervalued key, paired with the unfortunate passing of Bernie W. and speculation about JLA Dark. Only so many people want HOS 92. Again great book, but it's getting a lot of push from more than just casual Swamp Thing fans...which is fine of course.

HoS 92 has been one of the key Bronze Age books forever.  It has historically been listed higher than Hulk 181 in the Overstreet guide and has now and then also sold for more than Hulk 181 in high grade slabbed. It will always be one of the top Bronze Age books but I doubt it will prove more popular (or more expensive) than Hulk 181 over the long run...nothing will.

1 hour ago, drbanner said:

HoS 92 has been one of the key Bronze Age books forever.  It has historically been listed higher than Hulk 181 in the Overstreet guide and has now and then also sold for more than Hulk 181 in high grade slabbed. It will always be one of the top Bronze Age books but I doubt it will prove more popular (or more expensive) than Hulk 181 over the long run...nothing will.

True enough. It's hard to beat IH 181. At least Wrightson came up with the idea for ST by himself and didn't steal the idea from some kid. Which is pretty much what happened with Wolvie from what I remember in the 1970's. I remember they had some sort of "drive" for kids to submit their ideas for characters and they would receive a free comic book or something for their efforts if they used their idea. I remember that because I submitted an idea which didn't get used. Or did it? My submission was for a character called "Quasar". I don't really like Stan Lee at all. The Creator Of The Known Universe And Multiverses.

Nevertheless, I like drbanner's comment. HOS 92 has had steady legs over the years and has ALWAYS been sought out. I bought a HUGE run of HS 30 years ago playing the odds. Of course, they were all there except for #92. Really nice shape, too. Would have liked to see what the #92 looked like.

IH 181 can't be beat for the short haul, I guess. And it's all speculative, isn't it? I still think IH 181 is riding a crest. At some point, that wave may crash. There are far more copies available of that than HOS 92 in the same grades. I hope HOS 92 will continue its upward trend as steady as it has over the years. My big hope/fear is an ST movie is made. Only problem will be DC will make the movie and their movies typically suck. If they stick the character in a JLA movie, that won't help. I love the character. I don't want a "Martha" moment in a ST movie or worse yet, a "Linda" moment between Superman and ST. I swear to Christ I will lob a slushy at the screen if they mess it up.

Swamp Thing could be a smash if they keep it away from DC Comic movies. Or pay a really good director big bucks and write a good story to support it.

Hey. Maybe have the fans submit ideas for the movie. NAAAAAH! THAT wouldn't work!

Edited by Randall Ries

Yeah, I'd love to see a stand-along ST movie based on the HoS 92 storyline. I think there are too many characters in the Superhero movies these days, and agree that him simply being part of a JLA/Dark movie would be a weak treatment of the character.

14 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Let me rephrase. In heavy demand, but due to people who like Swamp Thing, or people that are speculating?

Hos #92 is a great book, but let's be honest ever since this news hit the book got really hot. So once again the Hollywood affect.

Swamp Thing’ Series in the Works at DC Streaming Service

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/swamp-thing-series-dc-streaming-service-1202795273/

A live-action “Swamp Thing” TV series has landed a -script-to-series order at DC Universe, the upcoming DC-branded streaming service, Variety has learned.

Based on the DC Comics characters created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, the one-hour drama series would follow CDC researcher Abby Arcane, who returns to her childhood home of Houma, Louisiana, in order to investigate a deadly swamp-borne virus. She develops a surprising bond with scientist Alec Holland, only to have him tragically taken from her. But as powerful forces descend on Houma, intent on exploiting the swamp’s mysterious properties for their own purposes, Abby will discover that the swamp holds mystical secrets, and the potential love of her life may not be dead after all.

The show is currently slated for a 2019 launch.

swamp-thing@2x_5aea189869ca60.96713908.jpg?resize=696%2C392&quality=80&strip=info&ssl=1

Swamp Thing series from ‘Aquaman’ director James Wan announced for DC Universe

https://batman-news.com/2018/05/02/swamp-thing-series-dc-universe/