• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What percent of existing copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, and Batman 1 are already CGC graded?
1 1

What percent of existing copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, and Batman 1 are already CGC graded?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What percent of existing copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, and Batman 1 are already CGC graded?

• Less than 10% have been CGC graded
    • 11% to 20% have been CGC graded
    • 21% to 40% have been CGC graded
    • 41% to 49% have been CGC graded
    • 50% - half of all existing copies - have been CGC graded
    • 51% to 60% have been CGC graded
    • 61% to 70% have been CGC graded
    • 71% to 80% have been CGC graded
    • 81% to 90% have been CGC graded
    • 91% or more have been CGC graded

236 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Read the latest Scoop that came out just yesterday and noticed Vinnie's comment that "they had sold more copies of the world's most valuable comic than anybody, with the notable exception of National Periodical Publications (DC Comics)".  

Don't you just love their spin on their things.  ;)

Saw that too. Thought it was a great line 

10 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Metropolis puts in writing, “there are less than 100 copies of Action 1 out there “.  Just thought it was interesting to see in writing from them and would add this to our discussion.  

Everyone can put their opinion out there.

I think they or anyone else wouldn’t be able to verify their numbers as fact.

It would be better to say that they only know of a 100 copies or less that exist.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Read the latest Scoop that came out just yesterday and noticed Vinnie's comment that "they had sold more copies of the world's most valuable comic than anybody, with the notable exception of National Periodical Publications (DC Comics)".  

Don't you just love their spin on their things.  ;)

They don’t just spin, they rotate at high speeds and fly into orbit several times!!

I need motion sickness pills at times just to get through some of their printed lines of spinning hype.

That’s not being overly critical either because regardless of what you think of them I do believe their Stan Lee style of hyperbole has made them money along the way. They are fantastic self promoters...

Aren't almost all the copies of these comics bought and sold over the last 25 years the same copies changing hands constantly? Probably most are. I have a feeling there are many more collectors with these comics out there than people think, the kind of collectors that value owning the object over any monetary value. Again I am bringing up record collectors, but blues and jazz 78 collectors are like this, they own a record of which only maybe five copies exist, or maybe the only existing copy, and they could sell it for 50 grand easy, but they value having the object over any money. It's partly enjoying the object and owning a sought after thing almost no one else can own and selling it would leave them with nothing but money, which anyone can have, not everyone can have that object.

13 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Metropolis puts in writing, “there are less than 100 copies of Action 1 out there “.  Just thought it was interesting to see in writing from them and would add this to our discussion.  

How can you tell when a comic dealer is lying?  His lips are moving.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, Chicago Boy said:

With The census numbers picking up for Flash 1 and AA 16. What’s the last mega key with a particularly low census number ?  Pep 22 ?  

At WW yesterday I saw 2 AA 16s. One raw complete and 1  0.5 at HGC.  Also talked to a couple people about their thoughts on existing Tec 27’s.  1 person thought less than Action 1 ( estimated it at 50-75 copies ) Said he’s personally seen 100 different action 1 ‘s by himself.  Didnt think there were much more.  Another guy put existing copies at Tec 27s at 100-200. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 7/27/2018 at 4:37 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

CGC Census (Universal in Parenthesis):

Action Comics #1

69 (40)

Detective Comics #27

67 (32)

Superman #1

143 (54)

Batman #1

252 (107)

The results of this 2018 poll (90 voters) averaged the estimate of 48% are already slabbed (43% to 53% if we go with the lowest estimate and highest estimate for each range in the voting options).

Using those 2018 counts from @Wayne-Tec  we get crowd-sourced estimates of:

Action Comics #1 (69 in mid-2018), estimate is 144 copies

Detective Comics #27 (67 in mid-2018), estimate is 140 copies

Superman #1 (143 in mid-2018), estimate is 298 copies

Batman #1 (252 in mid-2018), estimate is 525 copies

Captain America Comics #1 (159 in mid-2018), estimate is 331 copies

Looks like @G.A.tor agrees with the crowd or the crowd agrees with @G.A.tor  :foryou:

On 7/27/2018 at 6:19 PM, G.A.tor said:

we will never know how many there are...

my estimate is 150+ of action 1 and tec 27 and with already 250+ batman 1 slabbed, I think my 300-500 est is pretty safe... Captain America 1 might be a tad less than Bat 1, and I think superman 1 a tad less than that...

but no one knows :)

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The results of this 2018 poll (90 voters) averaged the estimate of 48% are already slabbed (43% to 53% if we go with the lowest estimate and highest estimate for each range in the voting options).

Looks like @G.A.tor agrees with the crowd or the crowd agrees with @G.A.tor  :foryou:

Action 1 has picked up 3 on the census. Tec 27 has picked up 1.  Not sure of the others but I would assume it’s quite a bit more than these numbers. Any ideas of where marvel comics 1 would estimate out at ? 

3 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
36 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Action 1 has picked up 3 on the census. Tec 27 has picked up 1.  Not sure of the others but I would assume it’s quite a bit more than these numbers. Any ideas of where marvel comics 1 would estimate out at ? 

Marvel Comics #1 had 61 copies on the census mid-2018.  That would be a "crowd-sourced estimate" of 127 copies.

... by the way, if anyone is thinking they can apply the 48% estimate across all Golden Age books on the CGC Census, that doesn't work.  We know there is less incentive to CGC grade books that aren't the biggest of keys.  Books like Action #1 are the most-likely to have been graded by CGC, but there's less incentive for Action Comics #2 to be CGC-graded, so we wouldn't expect 48% of all copies of Action #2 to be on the census.

I do think that Marvel Comics #1 is a big enough key that the 48% estimate is probably fair.

Edited by valiantman

6 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I put AC1 and Tec 27 at 71% to 80% CGC graded

So you think there are  less than 100 of each book that survived ?  

Haven't checked the CGC census numbers for both books but guessing still about 30% (or thereabouts) of surviving copies yet to be graded.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Haven't checked the CGC census numbers for both books but guessing still about 30% (or thereabouts) of surviving copies yet to be graded.

There are between 110-130 “known” copies (obviously we are including the slabs, and mileage varies as some copies known from diff sources might be same ). There has to be, statistically speaking, a fair % of existing but “unknown” or unaccounted for copies (copies we’ve not identified ). 
while 100 or so sounds nice, I’d bet the farm that number is 50% or more low 

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

There are between 110-130 “known” copies (obviously we are including the slabs, and mileage varies as some copies known from diff sources might be same ). There has to be, statistically speaking, a fair % of existing but “unknown” or unaccounted for copies (copies we’ve not identified ). 

Any similar insight on Marvel Comics 1 ?

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

16 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

...and the split between October and November versions?  No doubt that October is much more scarce.

Edited by pemart1966