• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to store OA?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

For all of my art I use archival thin bags. For higher end art I use Mylar. They’re all then put into Itoya folios.

What are archival thin bags? You mean 2 mm mylar or what? And now I am thinking why I've never discussed this with you! lol 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Most of my art is just in Itoyas.  I only recently started putting my better pieces in mylars with backing boards - I saw ironmandrd had his whole collection that way, and liked the way they presented.  That said, after mylaring/boarding the art, I put them back in an Itoya (13 x 19" portfolio).  Unfortunately, you can only put so much of the art in mylars and boards that way, as the portfolio gets really thick in a hurry. 

How do you then put them in Itoyas?  Do you do every other page?  Do you just do fronts for art?  Do you do the first half of the portfolio?

Do you get the 12.5 X 18.5 mylars from E Gerber?  If you do, does the flap stick out of the top? 

What are the dimensions of the backing board that you use?  Are they also from E Gerber?

I'm going to be doing this so I wanted to learn in advance.

Thanks

4 hours ago, timguerrero said:

What are archival thin bags? You mean 2 mm mylar or what? And now I am thinking why I've never discussed this with you! lol 

I’ve been using these for years with no issues.

Creative Mark Krystal Seal Art and Photo Bags - Resealable Archival Storage Bags Art Sleeves Plastic Bag Used For Protecting Artwork Resealable With Adhesive Strip - [25 Pack - 11 x 14"] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049UXA36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_a8FCBb722DQFG

3 hours ago, Peter L said:

How do you then put them in Itoyas?  Do you do every other page?  Do you just do fronts for art?  Do you do the first half of the portfolio?

Do you get the 12.5 X 18.5 mylars from E Gerber?  If you do, does the flap stick out of the top? 

What are the dimensions of the backing board that you use?  Are they also from E Gerber?

I'm going to be doing this so I wanted to learn in advance.

Thanks

You could just put them in every other page; that would probably solve some of the thickness problem if you were only using half the slots.  My portfolios are not that organized, though, so, I have some art in mylars/boards and some in without.  I don't purposely keep spaces open. 

The only mylars I've gotten are the BCE-070 Mylar Gards from BCE Mylar.  They are described as 12 1/2" x 18.5" with a 3/4" tab.  They stick out slightly out of the presentation pages in a 13 x 19" Itoya, BUT, do not stick out of the portfolio itself, as the way the presentation pages are bound into the plastic portfolio, there is a tiny bit of extra space.  As such, I would say this combination works.

As for boards, I use the BCE-041 Time-X-Tender 12 1/4 x 18 1/4" acid free boards, also from BCE Mylar.

One note:  I ordered 50 of each (mylars and boards), but, the package of mylars only contained 25 (even though the label said there were 50).  I don't know if this was a one-off error for a particular batch of mylars or what, but, I was bagging/boarding art before the NY Comic Art Expo in May and found myself with 25 boards and no mylars left.  I complained to the company and they did send me 25 more mylars to make it right, but, not before giving me the Spanish Inquisition treatment as if I was trying to scam them. doh!  I had to pull the "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" line on them as they were wasting my time and pizzing me off. :sumo: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 8/13/2018 at 7:08 PM, delekkerste said:

You could just put them in every other page; that would probably solve some of the thickness problem if you were only using half the slots.  My portfolios are not that organized, though, so, I have some art in mylars/boards and some in without.  I don't purposely keep spaces open. 

The only mylars I've gotten are the BCE-070 Mylar Gards from BCE Mylar.  They are described as 12 1/2" x 18.5" with a 3/4" tab.  They stick out slightly out of the presentation pages in a 13 x 19" Itoya, BUT, do not stick out of the portfolio itself, as the way the presentation pages are bound into the plastic portfolio, there is a tiny bit of extra space.  As such, I would say this combination works.

As for boards, I use the BCE-041 Time-X-Tender 12 1/4 x 18 1/4" acid free boards, also from BCE Mylar.

One note:  I ordered 50 of each (mylars and boards), but, the package of mylars only contained 25 (even though the label said there were 50).  I don't know if this was a one-off error for a particular batch of mylars or what, but, I was bagging/boarding art before the NY Comic Art Expo in May and found myself with 25 boards and no mylars left.  I complained to the company and they did send me 25 more mylars to make it right, but, not before giving me the Spanish Inquisition treatment as if I was trying to scam them. doh!  I had to pull the "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" line on them as they were wasting my time and pizzing me off. :sumo: 

Hahaha  Wow,  just wow  

9 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Hahaha  Wow,  just wow  

I was joking.  What I did tell them, politely, is that I was a high-end collector and wasn't trying to scam them out of a piddly $120 in mylars. 

I just thought some of the old-time Boardies with a sense of humor might appreciate the Brulato reference. 

Edited by delekkerste

15 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Suuuuree. You said it just like that in your snootiest voice. 

“Do you know who I am?!?”

You got me...and then I called him "sonny boy". 

I use legal size fire proof file cabinets they work for everything except large sunday pages - you provide separations between pieces or group them by age and acidity levels and the files are waterproof and fireproof up to a high degree of heat. They are expensive but used are often free or very low cost due to the cost of moving them often used furitiure dealers won't take them. They also have fireproof art files

On 8/13/2018 at 4:08 PM, delekkerste said:

Thanks for the advice!  This was very helpful.  Now I know what to say if my order is ever shortchanged!