• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky, Robert Bell, and the rest of the "Old Guard"
2 2

92 posts in this topic

https://dangearino.com/2017/09/16/682/ 

From the article:

****** UPDATE 9/17/17: I heard back from Robert Bell. He’s doing fine. His land line was knocked out by Hurricane Irma, and his internet access has been spotty, but he is otherwise in good spirits.

When I posted a link to this post on Facebook over the weekend, Jim Hanley responded with a comment about how Bell invented, or at least popularized, the comic bag. Yes, that is one of the many aspects of Bell’s legacy, and that story is in my book. Most of the material on this website is in addition to what’s in the book. One of the few exceptions is the Hanley quote at the top of this post, which was just too good not to use.

Dealers such as Bell are an important aspect of the early history of comics retail, and his time as a shop owner and mail-order dealer was part of the dynamic New York scene that gave us Phil Seuling, Hanley and many others who shaped the business.

Now, if only I could procure a time machine."

bell-buck-front-back.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

3 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Did a lot of business with Robert Bell back in the day.  My first mail order for back issues were from Robert. Great memories. Unfortunately, I think he may have passed away some years ago, although I can't confirm that.  He did move to FL towards the latter part of his life.

Robert Bell Interview In Comic Book Marketplace 1996

robert_bell.jpg

great ad< thanks for posting

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

https://dangearino.com/2017/09/16/682/ 

From the article:

****** UPDATE 9/17/17: I heard back from Robert Bell. He’s doing fine. His land line was knocked out by Hurricane Irma, and his internet access has been spotty, but he is otherwise in good spirits.

When I posted a link to this post on Facebook over the weekend, Jim Hanley responded with a comment about how Bell invented, or at least popularized, the comic bag. Yes, that is one of the many aspects of Bell’s legacy, and that story is in my book. Most of the material on this website is in addition to what’s in the book. One of the few exceptions is the Hanley quote at the top of this post, which was just too good not to use.

Dealers such as Bell are an important aspect of the early history of comics retail, and his time as a shop owner and mail-order dealer was part of the dynamic New York scene that gave us Phil Seuling, Hanley and many others who shaped the business.

Now, if only I could procure a time machine."

bell-buck-front-back.jpg

I'm reading Gearino's book now. Really interesting stuff and it highlights how important some of these persons were to the hobby and its growth as a retail space.

8 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Did a lot of business with Robert Bell back in the day.  My first mail order for back issues were from Robert. Great memories. Unfortunately, I think he may have passed away some years ago, although I can't confirm that.  He did move to FL towards the latter part of his life.

Robert Bell Interview In Comic Book Marketplace 1996

Thanks for posting the Robert Bell interview by fellow Boardie Lewis Forro, wow!  It's really amazing, highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of vintage comic book collecting and dealing.

Edited by zosocane

10 hours ago, zosocane said:

Thanks for posting the Robert Bell interview by fellow Boardie Lewis Forro, wow!  It's really amazing, highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of vintage comic book collecting and dealing.

Every issue of CBM is a treasure trove of hobby knowledge. (thumbsu 

Is Gary Carter still living

Edited by James J Johnson

13 hours ago, zosocane said:

If you follow the link to his website(....in each of his con reports in the SA Forum), he has the audio interview from which the transcripts were made. It includes the extra material that was ultimately edited out due to space limitations in CBM. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Ah yes, the days of writing out an order for 12 comics you really want from the ads in CBG and getting 12 'alternates' in return.

…. you forgot waiting 12 weeks to get them lol GOD BLESS....

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:
2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

…. you forgot waiting 12 weeks to get them lol GOD BLESS....

Oh yeah! The wait!

Sometimes it took so long I forgot about them.... GOD BLESS....

So Robert Bell was, essentially, a used book dealer (learning from his dad) and morphed to focusing on used funny books, which people were collecting like paperbacks without regard to condition.  Who else were early pioneer dealers besides Bell and Rogofsky?  Any other good published interviews out there (like Bell's)?

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

So Robert Bell was, essentially, a used book dealer (learning from his dad) and morphed to focusing on used funny books, which people were collecting like paperbacks without regard to condition.  Who else were early pioneer dealers besides Bell and Rogofsky?  Any other good published interviews out there (like Bell's)?

I’m sure I recall a thread, possibly in Silver Age, which said that Bell’s books were much more consistent, condition-wise, than Rogofsky’s or Crestohl’s?

The general mood seemed more one of satisfaction than disappointment.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’m sure I recall a thread, possibly in Silver Age, which said that Bell’s books were much more consistent, condition-wise, than Rogofsky’s or Crestohl’s?

The general mood seemed more one of satisfaction than disappointment.

I bought often from Robert Bell in the 1970s.  One specific book I order from him was Avengers 39.  I pick it to buy because it was the earliest issue I could get for $1.50.  The book was a nm/m copy.  Everything I bought from him was vfn to mint.

16 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Sometimes it took so long I forgot about them.... GOD BLESS....

I'm still waiting for an order from 1972.