• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky, Robert Bell, and the rest of the "Old Guard"
2 2

92 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Every issue of CBM is a treasure trove of hobby knowledge. (thumbsu 

Is Gary Carter still living

+1

An absolutely wonderful magazine when Gary was running it. and especially the early issues when it was just his wife and him and they had full control of the magazine.  I just learned so much from those early issues of the CBM.  :cloud9:

I assume that Gary is still alive and well back home in beautiful always sunny Coronado wince he still shows up as an Overstreet advisor. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

+1

An absolutely wonderful magazine when Gary was running it. and especially the early issues when it was just his wife and him and they had full control of the magazine.  I just learned so much from those early issues of the CBM.  :cloud9:

I assume that Gary is still alive and well back home in beautiful always sunny Coronado wince he still shows up as an Overstreet advisor. (thumbsu

I read one back issue of CBM that was included with other magazines in a comic collection that I bought. It was the issue with the 50 most difficult Silver age books to acquire and their order of ranking according to the hobby giants of the day. Then I got a hold of another CBM that featured everything about Atlas horror. I was hooked. I kept seeking them out until I had a full set. I read the covers off of them, did a Pop Hollinger with most, taping and stapling as they accrue more wear and tear as reference material.

If Gary is still active, he should pool all the issues into a CD, DVD, or whatever and sell them! It's an amazing assembly of knowledge, IMO, a hobby resource that's only equaled today by the cumulative knowledge of this forum.

Edited by James J Johnson

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’m sure I recall a thread, possibly in Silver Age, which said that Bell’s books were much more consistent, condition-wise, than Rogofsky’s or Crestohl’s?

The general mood seemed more one of satisfaction than disappointment.

If I recall, Bell bought like a thousand copies of each new issue from the publishers...… probably more for big sellers. You have to remember, back in the 60's there were no video games and few action figures.... TV was usually monitored by the parents.... so young folks who wanted something of their own to rally around were pretty much limited to comics and sports cards. Collectors were coming to the hobby in droves and those early mail order dealers had the cat by the tail. Books also sold out back then.... and if you missed an issue at 12 cents, it was worth it to pay 50 cents to get it..... quite a decent ROI for those guys. Unlike today, if a book sat unsold, it just increased in price. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I read one back issue of CBM that was included with other magazines in a comic collection that I bought. It was the issue with the 50 most difficult Silver age books to acquire and their order of ranking according to the hobby giants of the day. Then I got a hold of another CBM that featured everything about Atlas horror. I was hooked. I kept seeking them out until I had a full set. I read the covers off of them, did a Pop Hollinger with most, taping and stapling as they accrue more wear and tear as reference material.

If Gary is still active, he should pool all the issues into a CD, DVD, or whatever and sell them! It's an amazing assembly of knowledge, IMO, a hobby resource that's only equaled today by the cumulative knowledge of this forum.

I found a couple threads about Gary Carter. The first one is older but contains more info.

Edited by Jerkfro

2 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

What about BeerBong?

He is still the self proclaimed "First Comic Dealer" and court approved valuation EXPERT

He showed up here  and was promptly  run off

Well, the undisputed first comic dealer started dealing comic books and other used publications way back in '39. Pop Hollinger's variety store business started about 13 years before Bob Beerbohm was born. Pop was already in his 50s!

5 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

What about BeerBong?

He is still the self proclaimed "First Comic Dealer" and court approved valuation EXPERT

My understanding is that Bob has  just retired being a comic book dealer, BLB comics to work on his dream project of "comic book store wars" detailing the early history of comic book retailing , I hope he completes this dream project, there is a lot of important information and research in this 20+ year project that might be awarding winning.

53 minutes ago, jmg3637 said:

Wow  looks like it just happened.  His ebay  site  shows that he is no longer a registered user, but the last transactions  posted in July

Late july was when he shut it down, he was a true pioneer in comic book retailing, and establishing  serious comic book collecting on the west coast, especially northern Calle. He would of been a major player such mile high or MCS etc vv but for a terrible wherehouse flood which destroyed his inventory as well as a top comic book art collection....

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

How about old time mail order dealer Richard Alf in San Diego? He used to run ads for back issues in the comics for a while. I believe he was also one of the founding members of the SDCC. Pretty sure he has passed away now. 

Sadly, Richard did pass away in 2012.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-richard-alf-59-one-comic-cons-founders-2012jan05-story.html#

He was honored at the SDCC, along with some other SDCC founders, at the 2009 con.

12 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

My understanding is that Bob has  just retired being a comic book dealer, BLB comics to work on his dream project of "comic book store wars" detailing the early history of comic book retailing , I hope he completes this dream project, there is a lot of important information and research in this 20+ year project that might be awarding winning.

I've been looking forward to that book...… it needs to be written, not nearly enough of that sort of information out there. GOD BLESS...

Gary Carter was at SD 2 years ago & is fine.  I barely recognized him! He cut off his signature mustache, had on glasses & looked 20 years older than the last time I saw him.  Back in 2014 I was talking with his father on the phone (who was in his 80's at the time). He was still quite active and very talkative.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:01 AM, James J Johnson said:

Great stuff, JJ. One of the things that keeps me interested in the hobby is reading books about the hobby...

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I've been looking forward to that book...… it needs to be written, not nearly enough of that sort of information out there. GOD BLESS...

I know Robert and his daughter have experienced a number of serious health issues in the last few years. I wish them both the best of luck...:foryou:

5 hours ago, Timely said:

Gary Carter was at SD 2 years ago & is fine.  I barely recognized him! He cut off his signature mustache, had on glasses & looked 20 years older than the last time I saw him.  Back in 2014 I was talking with his father on the phone (who was in his 80's at the time). He was still quite active and very talkative.

Man, would that be great to extend an invitation to Gary, and have him accept to post here and share!!

On 8/1/2018 at 2:13 PM, jmg3637 said:

What about BeerBong?

He wasn't "run off". He got himself banned. 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Man, would that be great to extend an invitation to Gary, and have him accept to post here and share!!

I could be wrong, but I seriously don't think he would. He is far over this hobby. Too bad though. He, his brother Lane and his Dad were hard core DC collectors back in the day. One of the first ones into the Cosmic Aeroplane and Mile High collections. He would have some great stories. I remember them selling off the collection at SDCC many, many years ago. I bought several cool Mile High DCs from them. Sure wish I kept them...:sorry: