• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Deals
6 6

416 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'd be surprised if they accepted any responsibility for it, but for that kind of money who's going to want to take the chance of cracking it out?

Well, that's kind of what I'm thinking too--it is what it is believed to be.  If it sells like an authentic first print and both the buyer and the seller believe it to be a first print, and even if it's just such a clever forgery that no significant difference could be certified by any existing authorities even if it were to be cracked out and scrutinized--then for all intents and purposes, it IS an authentic first print!

(Let that mess with your sense of reality for a while...)

"All things are possible for those who believe..."

On 12/20/2023 at 7:36 PM, Jayman said:

I hoped you’d understand that the scans would be taken prior to slabbing. :foryou:

I suppose, if the seller also happened to be the original owner.  This seller seems more like a dealer; I assumed they came into possession of it already slabbed.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:13 PM, Axe Elf said:

I suppose, if the seller also happened to be the original owner.  This seller seems more like a dealer; I assumed they came into possession of it already slabbed.

I've found no credible evidence that anyone from that other company has done their due diligence with regard to the authentication of Eerie #1 other than what they've read in the Overstreet guide. I'm looking forward to hearing any comments anyone may have with regard to this issue...

On 12/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, wombat said:

No one will ever know if that is real or not. It will never make it out of the slab. So you get what you get and are probably happy with it. 

I noticed they don't specify anywhere on the label that it's a genuine first edition, only that it's an "undistributed ashcan." But from what I recall, they allegedly were distributed to newsstands in New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Detroit, St. Louis, Boston and Chicago---that's how Warren secured the copyright to the title... (shrug)

On 12/20/2023 at 8:33 PM, Axe Elf said:

Well, that's kind of what I'm thinking too--it is what it is believed to be.  If it sells like an authentic first print and both the buyer and the seller believe it to be a first print, and even if it's just such a clever forgery that no significant difference could be certified by any existing authorities even if it were to be cracked out and scrutinized--then for all intents and purposes, it IS an authentic first print!

(Let that mess with your sense of reality for a while...)

"All things are possible for those who believe..."

It's a sad day in the world of collectibles when folks are paying top dollar for books that could be counterfeit...  

On 12/21/2023 at 3:07 PM, The Lions Den said:

I noticed they don't specify anywhere on the label that it's a genuine first edition, only that it's an "undistributed ashcan." But from what I recall, they allegedly were distributed to newsstands in New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Detroit, St. Louis, Boston and Chicago---that's how Warren secured the copyright to the title... (shrug)

From the Warren Magazines Index...

"This is technically the first issue of Eerie, rushed into print overnight by Warren, Goodwin & letterer Gaspar Saladino to foil Eerie Publications from ‘stealing’ the title of Warren’s second horror magazine.  Only 200 copies were printed.  The stories included were all originally intended for either Creepy #7 or #8.  The magazine was never actually distributed.  Copies were dropped off at New York newsstands so that {one would guess} Warren could point them out to lawyers and say “See, we’ve already got a magazine called Eerie on the stands!”  The Jack Davis cover came from an ad that ran in Creepy.  In 1978, bootleg editions of this issue were released into the fan collector market.  Warren ran several ads condemning the practice and offered a $500.00 reward for the arrest of the culprits but they were never caught."

So by "undistributed," I think they mean undistributed through Warren's usual channels.  It sounds like they just dropped off a few copies at various newsstands in New York.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:22 PM, The Lions Den said:

It's a sad day in the world of collectibles when folks are paying top dollar for books that could be counterfeit...  

I think it's a sad day when the companies that are in business to certify the authenticity of such collectibles can't tell the difference.

Apparently Warren could tell the difference, as in their editorial regarding the counterfeits, they asked people to send in their EERIE #1s for verification of their authenticity.  So if Warren could tell the difference, that means the forgeries are not indistinguishable from the originals, and there's no reason why a knowledgeable certification company couldn't do the same.

image.png.229a8bfc4da3b36b433059f22bcfdfb3.png

On 12/21/2023 at 4:51 PM, Axe Elf said:

So by "undistributed," I think they mean undistributed through Warren's usual channels.  It sounds like they just dropped off a few copies at various newsstands in New York.

I agree with this, but apparently Russ Jones was given the job of "distributing" the books to other cities as well, so I guess it becomes a matter of what the word "distribution" really means. In my mind, if they were distributed to newsstands in several major US cities across the country, that would qualify as distribution, even it was done in an unconventional manner. 

I think it's a sad day when the companies that are in business to certify the authenticity of such collectibles can't tell the difference.

I actually think there are people at CGC who could tell the difference, but it's likely just one more headache they don't really need. As far as those other guys go, I think they saw an opportunity and they took it. After all, it is all about the money.

And as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted..."  

Apparently Warren could tell the difference, as in their editorial regarding the counterfeits, they asked people to send in their EERIE #1s for verification of their authenticity.  So if Warren could tell the difference, that means the forgeries are not indistinguishable from the originals, and there's no reason why a knowledgeable certification company couldn't do the same.

You're absolutely right. And it's really unfortunate that CGC decided not to...