• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to differentiate fact from misleading hyperbole in the OSPG Market Reports
3 3

79 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
3 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

It works!

Thanks Blowie.

The Ditch is back!

:acclaim:

ooooo...I like that.  Kinda like The Batman...only cooler and slightly more ominous.

Hi Roy!  :hi:  How's it hangin'?

Me?  Left trouser leg...feels weird on the other side.

2 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Hi Roy!  :hi:  How's it hangin'?

Me?  Left trouser leg...feels weird on the other side.

As Robert Plant says when asked for advice on anyone when imitating him.

Dress to the right. lol

Edited by VintageComics

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The Ditch is back!

ooooo...I like that.  Kinda like The Batman...only cooler and slightly more ominous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rig3tgyYiAM

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
9 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:
33 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The Ditch is back!

:)

We were just discussing Elton and how he wasn't in the band and was actually just faking it in the T-Rex video.

Guess who actually DID play the keys on it?  Rick Wakeman!  I know right?!

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
28 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:
52 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The Ditch is back!

PS - I prefer this video.

That was my 20,001st post.  Somehow I'm back to 17,269.  I was robbed.  :sumo:

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

And what's with all these Overstreet advisors who aren't even involved in the hobby any more? Is it an honorary position? Heck, I've been collecting for 50 years actively. How do I become one. Kiss the ring? There are several board members here that should be on the list. Probably a good thing I'm not one because I would probably "mess" with my entry just for the fun of it. It would be fun to see my avitar picture on the list!  :roflmao:

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, NoMan said:

I'm curious how one does this. Is it at all conspiratorial to think that certain Market Report authors are hyping what they have and hope to sell similar to the pump & dump that is sometimes perpetuated here? As mentioned by someone here in an earlier OSPG thread, Dr. Steven Kahn (first time adviser to the Guide and his first market report appears in the 2018 edition) has a great read in his Market Report. 

Anyways, how does a relative newcomer to the hobby differentiate fact from hype in the OSPG Market Reports?

Its a fair question. I would tell you to look at ending sales and inspect them. Speculation web sites are bigger concern to me now then Overstreet reports which as well need to 
take with a grain of salt. Show me sales and diversified sales and I will listen. 

What worries me in our hobby is the influx of speculation and growth of websites/google groups trying to be the new Wizard. They are mining data, accruing sellers to their web sites
and building relationships with large shops and sellers. Is that bad? I don't know I really don't, but it concerns me. I've seen this type of mentality before in the 90s. The arrogance
is back as well. I realize Darwinism will eventually eliminate many, but this time instead of card sellers trying to jump into our hobby to make a buck, these types of groups are 
mingling with artists, writers, and even publishers. I cant be the only one that sees this.

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

What worries me in our hobby is the influx of speculation and growth of websites/google groups trying to be the new Wizard. They are mining data, accruing sellers to their web sites
and building relationships with large shops and sellers. Is that bad? I don't know I really don't, but it concerns me. I've seen this type of mentality before in the 90s. The arrogance
is back as well. I realize Darwinism will eventually eliminate many, but this time instead of card sellers trying to jump into our hobby to make a buck, these types of groups are 
mingling with artists, writers, and even publishers. I cant be the only one that sees this.

The problem with Wizard wasn't that it sometimes pointed to overlooked classic comics or first appearances from years earlier that might be important in the future.  Wizard's problem was saying that books which still had wet ink were already the greatest thing since last month the first appearances from Silver Age keys.  It makes sense that artists, writers, and publishers would agree that what they're creating is the greatest new thing available today, but there's definitely a problem when definite classic issues cost $1,000 and books printed last week are supposedly also worth $1,000.  It's not like they're using different currencies.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I've been collecting for 50 years actively. How do I become one. Kiss the ring? There are several board members here that should be on the list. It would be fun to see my avitar picture on the list!  :roflmao:

Just join a meet and greet with Overstreet, get your group photo published :golfclap: in Overstreet Pr Guide, then have your pic in back of Overstreet as an advisor like greggy.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:
16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The problem with Wizard wasn't that it sometimes pointed to overlooked classic comics or first appearances from years earlier that might be important in the future.  Wizard's problem was saying that books which still had wet ink were already the greatest thing since last month the first appearances from Silver Age keys.  It makes sense that artists, writers, and publishers would agree that what they're creating is the greatest new thing available today, but there's definitely a problem when definite classic issues cost $1,000 and books printed last week are supposedly also worth $1,000.  It's not like they're using different currencies.

We were laughing at this the other day.

Wizard, December 2000. "Hot 10 comics"

g5i6ay1.jpg

On 7/31/2018 at 9:23 AM, Jerkfro said:
On 7/31/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:
On 7/31/2018 at 9:11 AM, Park said:

I'll be your huckleberry.

Awesome.:whee:

Let's debate clone degradation of yogurt cultures and the possible ramifications to humanity.  :banana:

Let's just hope that mutant yogurt creature doesn't come face to fa.....errr bread with Roy's sandwich that ate Buffalo a few years ago.

Buffalo showed some remarkable resilience in rebuilding. You can't even tell it was devoured by a turkey sandwich in 2013.

9 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

We were laughing at this the other day.

Wizard, December 2000. "Hot 10 comics"

g5i6ay1.jpg

I walked up to Stanley Lau at SDCC and asked if he had worked on Vampi. He looked at me with a puzzled look and said "uh, no."

Then I realized the above.

Color me ever-so-slightly embarrassed.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:02 PM, Robot Man said:

And what's with all these Overstreet advisors who aren't even involved in the hobby any more? Is it an honorary position? Heck, I've been collecting for 50 years actively. How do I become one. Kiss the ring? There are several board members here that should be on the list. Probably a good thing I'm not one because I would probably "mess" with my entry just for the fun of it. It would be fun to see my avitar picture on the list!  :roflmao:

Tells you the value of the list, dunnit...?

:D

44 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I walked up to Stanley Lau at SDCC and asked if he had worked on Vampi. He looked at me with a puzzled look and said "uh, no."

Then I realized the above.

Color me ever-so-slightly embarrassed.

Ha..I bet he gets asked that quite a bit.

I like Artgerm's work...very talented guy.  Stanley Artgerm Lau

46 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 7/31/2018 at 10:24 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

That's fine...I only talk to Seasoned Veterans...and also Park.

What are they seasoned with...?

All Spice?

Maybe Mrs. Dash?

I prefer a bit of garlic pepper, myself.

I think most are a bit of fresh garlic and basil.

But there's a few who are WAY too salty.  :D

53 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 7/31/2018 at 10:24 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

That's fine...I only talk to Seasoned Veterans...and also Park.

What are they seasoned with...?

All Spice?

Maybe Mrs. Dash?

I prefer a bit of garlic pepper, myself.

I think most are a bit of fresh garlic and basil.

But there's a few who are WAY too salty.  :D

RMA with the assist.