• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd Edition Overstreet Price Guide Hardcover
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Pretty sure there were 100 copies each of the HC editions of Overstreet #2 and #3. After that they were regular hardbound editions starting with #4 that had the same outer covers as the softcovers.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, blue808 said:

Has anyone ever seen another one like this before? I believe my father ordered this back in 1972 from an add in the Comic Buyers Guide. He said the was an option to purchase either the soft cover or hard cover.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bC3AFA3F2-E1B1-4A30-9B37-D72302F1D397.thumb.jpeg.7c1eb8f089153d4bf0ea55ae81f91a73.jpeg

EA7E847A-7E2D-424C-A921-40E4F23B54A3.thumb.jpeg.5864520ba3818c98bba916fadcfa1a18.jpeg

DB3DEB99-2941-4C21-9795-F909AB5CA733.thumb.jpeg.ef929edb30e8107616c5d4bda4269fa8.jpegF953E0CF-850F-4427-908A-E43C4666C9A1.thumb.jpeg.d5e0cde3ef1c9742bf63fd3bfd2d7f73.jpeg

91B6D19A-7A24-4A3B-B92F-77793D8B431A.thumb.jpeg.28a9206db67192bd23de3f67b01688be.jpeg

Yes,I own one signed by Bob Overstreet :baiting:

that is pretty dang cool..... 

to an Overstreet Comic Guide collector.....

Edited by Senormac
too snarky :(

Does anyone else own a copy of this? I'm trying to determine if the hardcover for #2 was available in two versions. The copy in the OP looks black, but a copy Heritage auctioned in 2003 looks blue:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/overstreet-price-guide-2-hardcover-overstreet-1972-condition-vf-nm-printed-in-extremely-limited-numbers-early-overstr/a/808-4781.s

Anyone have any insight? I know sometimes the lighting can be deceiving, but these look radically different to me,

I was half afraid the book might have been privately bound with the black cover. It sold for more than $400, so the risk was not negligible.The consignor insisted it was black, even after I asked questions and pointed out the hardbound #3 had a blue cover. But the fabric of the cover looked right in the picture and the gilt lettering was a match for other copies I had seen, so I took a chance on it. I asked around the comics department at Heritage and posted a question on the Message Boards, but no one believed in a black cover variant, so I was pretty nervous until the book arrived.

10 hours ago, David Stone said:

Wish I had seen this post earlier! I am writing an ongoing series of articles on the Overstreet Guide for the Heritage Auctions Comics Newsletter. The #2 HC is discussed here https://comics.ha.com/heritage-auctions-newsletter/comics-and-animation-news-family-guy-lou-fine-and-a-pedigree-collection.s?id=5604 . I traced six copies of the #2 HC, but I did not know about this one. I presume the same owner has had it since 1972? Gary Carter did a lot of research on the Guide in the Comic Book Marketplace in the 1990s, conducting surveys, etc. He also found six copies, but whether they are the same six I found is unknown. The book in this thread does not appear to be one of the six I found, but it may have been reported in Gary's surveys. On the other hand, it might be a previously unknown copy. It's possible there are 13 known survivors, if these citations all represent different books. I found three different varieties of the #2 HC, with different dates on the binding stamps and different arrangement of the text on the cover. This book is the same variety as the one from Bob Overstreet's collection. I thought this variety might be some kind of prototype, since I could only find one example and it belonged to Bob, but this second example sort of works against that theory. Every time a new copy surfaces we expand the knowledge base for this very rare and important issue. About the color, they are all navy blue, but they look black in certain lighting conditions. The number 3 hardbound has the same navy blue cover and I bought one on eBay that the consignor described as black and looked black in the picture. When it arrived, I was relieved to see it was the standard navy blue color. Congratulations on finding this rare and valuable issue! I know of one private sale of a NM copy that brought $3,500, but that is a high record price. Check out the Heritage article for more information on varieties, prices, and pictures of some other copies.

I couldn't find the article in the newsletter with the info you provided. Can you send an accessible link? Thanks!

6 hours ago, David Stone said:

Sorry, this should work https://comics.ha.com/c/newsletter.zx?frame=no&id=5604#collector-c .

Got it- thanks!

Edited by bronze johnny