• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction Aug 2-4
2 2

233 posts in this topic

Is it just me or are there combinations of amazing high prices....and outright steals? Like I’ve seen a few pieces just go for nothing I thought. I just won a page for 1/5th what I was offered it for....granted it was coolines but that should just mean 300% mark up.

Edited by zhamlau

57 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

The stuff that isn't necessarily lighting the auction block on fire is B-quality examples from A-quality runs.

I consigned this piece, which I believed to be exactly in the classification which Gene describes, and feel that the auction result supports this...$6k ($7.2k w/BP)...

lf (3).jpg

13 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Is it just me or are there combinations of amazing high prices....and outright steals? Like I’ve seen a few pieces just go for nothing I thought. I just won a page for 1/5th what I was offered it for....granted it was coolines but that should just mean 300% mark up.

I think there has been a general spread between A and B materials beyond historical average. A is going up way faster than B (and let's not even talk about C and D).  Sort of a flight to quality.

Malvin

21 minutes ago, robert frey said:

i consigned a bws avengers page and the zeck cap team america cover. both DOA. i am very surprised and disappointed.

sorry to hear. I noticed the Zeck, and it seemed soft.

Malvin

6 minutes ago, Yurgo said:

who got the mcfarlane batman piece, darn I wanted that

errr..then why didn't you bid?  It wasn't a secret auction. Sorry to be snarky but don't understand your post.

that pice was for sale on ebay for a long time with a stupid price like around 20K or even more.  hope the consignor was not expecting that.

Malvin

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

I was underbidder - I love that cover - test logo and all - but there are too many other fine things that can be bought for that amount of coin. Congrats to the winner.

I owned that cover before trading it, plus $1000 cash, for a great Mazzucchelli BORN AGAIN page and a pretty good Miller WOLVERINE page. This was about 10 years ago. As happy as I still am with the Mazz page (I let go of the WOLVERINE page as it was really only in the deal to make the pieces fit), the other party did way, way better in the end. Smart guy, he bet on nostalgia.

I still consider this JL cover to be Maguire's second best (or at least second most memorable) after #1. So not especially surprised by this result. And might actually not seem so crazy if #1 ever hits the market.

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I owned that cover before trading it, plus $1000 cash, for a great Mazzucchelli BORN AGAIN page and a pretty good Miller WOLVERINE page. This was about 10 years ago. As happy as I still am with the Mazz page (I let go of the WOLVERINE page as it was really only in the deal to make the pieces fit), the other party did way, way better in the end. Smart guy, he bet on nostalgia.

I still consider this JL cover to be Maguire's second best (or at least second most memorable) after #1. So not especially surprised by this result. And might actually not seem so crazy if #1 ever hits the market.

What about compared to the JLA poster by Maguire?

1 hour ago, robert frey said:

i consigned a bws avengers page and the zeck cap team america cover. both DOA. i am very surprised and disappointed.

I share your sentiment and your experience with this auction, Rob.

A few years ago, I consigned some modern art to an HA signature auction and broke even, give or take 5%.  Since a few years have passed since, I thought I'd give HA another try and see if there was an improvement to modern art sales in an HA signature auction, so I consigned some Bagley, Romita Jr and Keown pieces and the results were quite disappointing so I won't be doing that again.  Not to fault HA, because they did their usual great job advertising and promoting the pieces for their auction, but for whatever reason, the modern stuff ALWAYS does better on CLINK.

Live and learn...

Another fun one to watch. It was great to see a few Marvel 2up splashes come to the block. I think the Ayers Giant Man sold for too little (13k) while the Heck Iron Man went just right (16k). The Kirby Caps both seemed to hit their numbers, but the ToS #75 might have gone too cheaply. Not only was it out shined by the awesomeness of #60, but it didn't really get a push from the auctioneer when it came up.

Hope to see more of these in the next auction!

2 minutes ago, DJRome said:

Another fun one to watch. It was great to see a few Marvel 2up splashes come to the block. I think the Ayers Giant Man sold for too little (13k) while the Heck Iron Man went just right (16k). The Kirby Caps both seemed to hit their numbers, but the ToS #75 might have gone too cheaply. Not only was it out shined by the awesomeness of #60, but it didn't really get a push from the auctioneer when it came up.

Hope to see more of these in the next auction!

The ToS #75 splash is Kirby Layout only, with Ayers pencils, and John T inks and perhaps that may partially explain its hammer price, whereas the #60 splash is Kirby pencils with Stone inks...plus as you mentioned, the #60 splash outshone the #75 splash.

8 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The ToS #75 splash is Kirby Layout only, with Ayers pencils, and John T inks and perhaps that may partially explain its hammer price, whereas the #60 splash is Kirby pencils with Stone inks...plus as you mentioned, the #60 splash outshone the #75 splash.

Edited by DJRome
My question was answered.

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I share your sentiment and your experience with this auction, Rob.

A few years ago, I consigned some modern art to an HA signature auction and broke even, give or take 5%.  Since a few years have passed since, I thought I'd give HA another try and see if there was an improvement to modern art sales in an HA signature auction, so I consigned some Bagley, Romita Jr and Keown pieces and the results were quite disappointing so I won't be doing that again.  Not to fault HA, because they did their usual great job advertising and promoting the pieces for their auction, but for whatever reason, the modern stuff ALWAYS does better on CLINK.

Live and learn...

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I think the order of the auction has a great impact on realized prices. I hesitated to bid on pieces like your Keown because I was saving for a major piece very late in the auction. I ended up being the underbidder but if I had known I wouldn't be winning, there are a bunch of pieces where I would probably have made at least an extra bid beyond what it sold at, like your Keown. 

Think Heritage or any auction site would do better to place their more highly estimated pieces earlier. Not sure if they've ever experimented with such things.