• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction Aug 2-4
2 2

233 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Ha has a credit card limit? What is the limit? As far as I know if you pay the 3% fee - they will accept a lot.  Feel free to educate.

yes, thats what I meant, the $2.5K limit before the 3% fee applies.  I supposed I could have bid higher and pay the 3% surcharge but didn't want to.

Malvin

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Any serious comic collector will tell you that it's keys and classic covers uber alles these days. We've past the tipping point in run collecting for sure; any number of threads in the other sections of this message board will confirm that.  The hey day of the run collector is over - its not even a debate any more, it's settled science.  Maybe some of the crossover comic guys here can speak more to this.  

I don't totally agree with this.  Yes, the keys and classic covers have outperformed, but the "run" books have moved up a lot too.  

Look at the just concluded Heritage auction:  Action #87 (the epitome of a "run" book in a very very long series) went for $8400.  It's popular to say that no one is trying to put runs together anymore, particularly from huge series like Action, because it's too expensive now, but empirically, at least 2 people were into this book for over $8000.  Not too long ago, $8000 was considered real money for a comic.

I can point to many other examples, such as the Pep and Hit runs on Heritage and many of the books from Jon Berk's collection sold on ComicConnect.  Sure there were some classic covers and a few keys in there, but there were a lot of books in those runs that were completely non-descript, but there was no shortage of demand. 

Perhaps you're referring to BA and later, which I can't really comment on as I don't follow those markets.  But the fact that "run" books aren't moving up as fast as Suspense 3 doesn't mean that they're not moving up at all or that they're not in demand.   

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:
8 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Who says Kelly isn't still regarded as a genius?  You mean prices aren't super high...that is Demand - Supply..who says genius always equals Demand?

And vise versa, high price on comic art doesn't mean its drawn by a great artist.

Herb Trimpe.  'Nuff said.

1 hour ago, malvin said:

yes, thats what I meant, the $2.5K limit before the 3% fee applies.  I supposed I could have bid higher and pay the 3% surcharge but didn't want to.

Malvin

My understanding was that they wouldn't accept cc payments over 2500, perhaps I has misread their rules. 

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

My understanding was that they wouldn't accept cc payments over 2500, perhaps I has misread their rules. 

that was my understanding too until the other boardie mentioned the 3% extra.  Either way, I had an artificial limit, although in some ways, that was kinda where I valued the pieces at.

Malvin

15 hours ago, CCIHON said:

I consigned the Romita Cap cover and a Cardy Titans cover (the one that went under $10k), and I was pretty disappointed with the results - both were under where I would have reserved them, if I had placed a reserve, and both sold for less than prior offers.

had you given your art to a trusted art dealer to consign with this wouldnt have happened to you.

I've done FANTASTIC selling art on consignment on my website for people....... as has Mitch in San Diego for people!

Everyone expects a HOME RUN SALE AT AUCTION with no reserve.......and sometimes they are left with a strike out.

Edited by romitaman

16 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yep. You can actually make a bit of money as a dealer by buying bulk collections for 10 cents on the dollar then selling the stuff in dollar boxes at conventions. 

You can also donate them to Goodwill Industries which sells them at $1.00 each and claim a tax deduction worth more than 10 cents. I did that when I decided to unload a bunch of stored junk.

7 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin

I thought they lifted it after a period of time. I had called up about it and was told there wasn’t one on my account. Maybe someone can get a clarification?

11 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Wow. $630 - great deal for sure. Won't be surprised if it was bought by a dealer or flipper and we see it for 2-3x on some site soon 

lf.jpg

I hope it went to someone that got a deal and it is in a private collection.  Ed's work is going to be over looked in this type of auction.  I think the heavy hitters aren't interested in, forget about, or turn their noses up at work in Ed's price-point.  Conversely, the people that might be interested don't wade in and bid because of how much the other items' bids in the auction have been trending.  It scares them off.  Thus, you get a result like this one.  One of the best deals of the auction.

Oh, and the fact that unless you were aware it was Deadpool, and/or didn't look at the description and just went by the title "5 Ronin" may have lead some to not bid.

13 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I had remembered that piece switching hands a few times a few years back and was interested when it came up again at auction but decided I needed to be frugal. From what I can remember the price it sold for was only $25-50 more than it sold for last time.

Might have been a better win for somebody than I thought it was.  Good for that buyer.  Bad for the seller.  Yikes!

I wonder if the Jim Davis strips will end up on a dealer's/filpper's website or eBay?  The dailies mostly went in the $500 - 600 range which is 1/3 of what they sell for on the Garfield website

Edited by Lucky Baru

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

I don't totally agree with this.  Yes, the keys and classic covers have outperformed, but the "run" books have moved up a lot too.  

Look at the just concluded Heritage auction:  Action #87 (the epitome of a "run" book in a very very long series) went for $8400.  It's popular to say that no one is trying to put runs together anymore, particularly from huge series like Action, because it's too expensive now, but empirically, at least 2 people were into this book for over $8000.  Not too long ago, $8000 was considered real money for a comic.

I can point to many other examples, such as the Pep and Hit runs on Heritage and many of the books from Jon Berk's collection sold on ComicConnect.  Sure there were some classic covers and a few keys in there, but there were a lot of books in those runs that were completely non-descript, but there was no shortage of demand. 

Perhaps you're referring to BA and later, which I can't really comment on as I don't follow those markets.  But the fact that "run" books aren't moving up as fast as Suspense 3 doesn't mean that they're not moving up at all or that they're not in demand.   

I think some of you are taking the argument way too literally.  No one said that people are only buying keys and that everything else is going down.  Of course, most books sold are not keys or classic covers.  It's like the stock market this year (at least before Facebook blew up) - more than 100% of the gains in the market could be attributable to just five stocks, and, over the past few years, there's been a cohort of maybe a couple dozen stocks that have hugely outpaced the market (the "keys" as it were) and accounted for most of the market's gains.  Doesn't mean that the rest of the market is going down.  Doesn't mean that most of the trading doesn't occur in the thousands of other (non-key) stocks or that some of those stocks aren't doing well too.  It just means that the participation and price performance is favoring those key stocks above all else.

Same with the comic market.  Of course most of the transaction volume is in non-key books, and many of those books are on the rise.  But, let's face it - there's been a marked shift to keys in recent years and away from run collecting, which featured much more predominantly in the 2000s and early 2010s in the CGC era (remember the titanic Brulato-Schmell wars which would send top census Marvel non-keys to absurd levels?)  Also note:  the market is not just key collectors and run collectors; someone who buys an Action #87 might not be trying to complete any kind of run, even if the book is not a key.  Same with the Berk collection - people are probably not trying to complete runs of those titles; they just wanted nice copies of books that are hard to find.

Similarly, by definition, most of the OA that trades hands is not A-quality.  But, we're definitely seeing the A/B spread blowing out beyond historic norms, a trend which looks to continue barring a major setback in the market. 2c   

Just now, artcollector9 said:

Heritage would say there was a previous bid at the same amount, which takes precedence?

but its live auction, there can't be a previous bid at the same amount.

Malvin

I think there could have been-- let's say pre auction, I place a bid for $5,000 on this lot. At auction time it sits at 2K with me the high bidder.  Every time someone bids, the house bis up one increment on my behalf and the other party is outbid, until the other bidder exceeds 5K. 

29 minutes ago, artcollector9 said:

I think there could have been-- let's say pre auction, I place a bid for $5,000 on this lot. At auction time it sits at 2K with me the high bidder.  Every time someone bids, the house bis up one increment on my behalf and the other party is outbid, until the other bidder exceeds 5K. 

The winning bid should have been 2800 then.

On 7/31/2018 at 2:00 PM, zhamlau said:

There is a great Pogo sunday on ebay that was sitting at 1k OBO , was up for days. Really surprised me. All of the main characters, lots of swamp backgrounds, lots of Pogo. That one guy unloading all those pogos really seems to have depressed the market on those.

Great strip, but the last Pogo strip was in 1975. So the demand has waned as it wasn't kept in the public eye much. 

A character/ip needs to stay in the public eye. A similar thing happened to the Charlie Chaplain and Hopalong Cassidy markets. Here we had at one time a few of the biggest actors and biggest TV personalities in the world,but if one checks Ebay completed sales not much of their stuff sells for more than an oz of gold($1215). Imagine that? This is stuff that is over 60 years old,but the interest has waned because most of their audience died, and they didn't keep the properties in tune with younger modern audiences.

If looking at future markets for long-term demand it is always best to make sure Marvel,DC or Disney has some connection to them because they have kept their characters in the public eye to keep up the demand.

Most collectible character markets are depressed now and most stuff can be bought cheaper than in the 1990s. Marvel,DC and Disney characters are the rare exception.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Happens all the time with proxy bids which takes precedence over live bids.  These days, I find myself using proxy bids more often because it (1) ensures bids are placed if I’m unable to join live auction, (2) promotes pre-meditated pricing discipline vs. overzealous live bidding, and (3) the precedence over live bids can be advantageous and/or save money i.e., cost of incremental bid.  Naturally, the key is prioritizing the few pieces to go after and knowing your “no regrets” walk away price.

Like many, I’m getting used to being outbid if not blown away at auctions but this makes my winning bids ever more satisfying.