• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction Aug 2-4
2 2

233 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2018 at 2:48 PM, comix4fun said:

Doctor Strange 55 is probably one of the most influential single Marvel issues by any artist in the last 35 years. So many of the talented creators working today have pointed to this issue as their spark of inspiration. It's in the top 5 single issues of several artists. And for Golden it's at the top of the heap, along with Avengers Ann 10 and his early 'Nam work (along with a few others) that really cemented him a force of creative nature. 

$14.4K for that page. #respect

6 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Who did "constipated Batman" better? B426 or DKR2?

image.png.84e3420d597000c67c00a89a21c511aa.png

I'm more surprised that B426 was "only" a few thousand more than the Maguire Justice League cover.  Not that I'm complaining since I have a bunch of Maguire Justice League art.

Malvin

That Go Nagai anime painting had its reserve tripped at $29K ($34.8K).  I don't know the market for this type of material at all, but, it's a beautiful piece and I'm again not surprised that someone went for it.  If you have something rare and high quality, it's going to fetch outsized $$$ in the current market.  The stuff that isn't necessarily lighting the auction block on fire is B-quality examples from A-quality runs. 2c 

5 minutes ago, malvin said:

I'm more surprised that B426 was "only" a few thousand more than the Maguire Justice League cover.  Not that I'm complaining since I have a bunch of Maguire Justice League art.

Malvin

I suspect that price has more to do with it being the test market cover with the different logo than being a general commentary on Maguire JL artwork. 2c  

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I suspect that price has more to do with it being the test market cover with the different logo than being a general commentary on Maguire JL artwork. 2c  

Yeah, I remember that JL cover was a "big deal" when it came out.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

That is a fantastic page that deserves to sell at a premium

I agree that all Belit pages deserve a premium but I felt this was a weaker page from a gga perspective. Now that beautiful Buscema cover that was compared to Frazetta deserved every penny. 

Just now, Timely said:

Yeah, I remember that JL cover was a "big deal" when it came out.

Yes, except as someone else  said, there are 4 "big deals" when it comes to Maguire JLA.  The test cover, the #1 cover, the poster art, and the punch page.  I'm  extrapolating that test cover finish to my poster art :)

Malvin

34 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Constipated Batman cover by Mignola gets $33,600. 

I thought that was "Disappointed with the Series Finale of the Sopranos" Batman......

Edited by comix4fun

14 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

That Go Nagai anime painting had its reserve tripped at $29K ($34.8K).  I don't know the market for this type of material at all, but, it's a beautiful piece and I'm again not surprised that someone went for it.  If you have something rare and high quality, it's going to fetch outsized $$$ in the current market.  The stuff that isn't necessarily lighting the auction block on fire is B-quality examples from A-quality runs. 2c 

But did you read the description? It wasn't clear if that piece was every used or published for any reason. I don't know the market for Go Nagai either, but I'd expect to be certain of the piece's publication use at the very least before pulling the trigger on what could wind up being a very nice commission piece. 

$60K for the BWS Conan #5 is insane. While I agree with most Barry is a great artist now, the art on his Conan art was very weak. This  His anatomy is terrible sometimes including this cover, it's one of the worse from the run. Conan looks like Stretch Armstrong. The Conan #171 by John Buscema which hammered at $16K is far superior. Oh well to each his own.

3 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

$7800 for Conan 72 panel page?????  That is a steep Belit tax.

But still cheaper than Killing Joke page’s actual TAX tax. Yikes!

Edited by ESeffinga

44 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I was underbidder - I love that cover - test logo and all - but there are too many other fine things that can be bought for that amount of coin. Congrats to the winner.

7 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I was underbidder - I love that cover - test logo and all - but there are too many other fine things that can be bought for that amount of coin. Congrats to the winner.

yeah, like a half decent car!

Malvin