• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction Aug 2-4
2 2

233 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Pogo was regarded by historians of the art form as one of the best strips ever produced, with Walt Kelly being regarded as a genius. 

C&H May or May or may not sustain its current esteem. 

Who says Kelly isn't still regarded as a genius?  You mean prices aren't super high...that is Demand - Supply..who says genius always equals Demand?

57 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

Who says Kelly isn't still regarded as a genius?  You mean prices aren't super high...that is Demand - Supply..who says genius always equals Demand?

That’s my point. The strip values don’t reflect quality 

5 hours ago, CCIHON said:

I consigned the Romita Cap cover and a Cardy Titans cover (the one that went under $10k), and I was pretty disappointed with the results - both were under where I would have reserved them, if I had placed a reserve, and both sold for less than prior offers.

You can always try consigning with me.

MI

1 hour ago, mtlevy1 said:

And vise versa, high price on comic art doesn't mean its drawn by a great artist.

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Pogo was regarded by historians of the art form as one of the best strips ever produced, with Walt Kelly being regarded as a genius. 

C&H May or May or may not sustain its current esteem. 

You should look into what the most famous strip artist have to say about Watterson and what he did with Calvin and Hobbes.  They all state that when he was writing, producing, and drawing Calvin and Hobbes he was at a level that they wish they could approach.  Personally, I love the fact that Watterson is a recluse and doesn't allow his creation to be __________ by the almighty dollar.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I never stated that Pogo wasn't a fantastic strip.  My points were in reference to Calvin and Hobbes and what Watterson created.

Edited by Lucky Baru

Bah, underbidder on the piece I was really after.  There were a few pauses when I was winning where I thought I might take it.

Funnily enough, my limit is actually HA's PayPal/credit card limit.  I have a ton in PayPal and being in canada I just leave it in as taking it out means exchange rate costs (twice).

If the limit was higher I would have bid more and maybe win!

Malvin

3 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Viewing the auction results page, it’s interesting that all the $50k+ items already have “Make Offer to Owner” but none of the lower priced lots have it.  This implies these lots are already paid for and designated for “Make Offer”...so quickly after the auction ended.  Perhaps, all these big ticket items were purchased by BSD/dealers (cabal?) with special arrangements with Heritage. 

I believe that’s due to a default setting and the consignors can opt out of it.

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There has been a ton, I mean a ton, of Pogo strips on the market for the past couple of years. And almost no C & H strips. Priced accordingly. 

I recall that in the settings it asks if you want to put a make an offer to owner and you can decide to take bids or not.  

A strange thing was I was interested in a piece that sold about 10 years ago. I contacted HA to see if they could make an offer and they said they don't keep records back that far on who bought it.  

23 hours ago, inovrmihd said:

FYI, I was the buyer of the JLA cover.  It was totally nostalgia based, and I agree the price was pretty full.

Remember, you had to pay for this test cover, but if you need a car, the test drives are free.

Enjoy your new piece. Nostalgia reigns supreme.

2 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

John Buscema and Tom Palmer Avengers #76 Page 13 Original...$10.8K..ok, you say but did you know it was a half page!

In all seriousness, to me this almost has to be two bidders who believed this was full sized. No other explanation fully makes sense (the only other one would be that the bidder(s) had the pages before and after and they were trying to complete a multi-page sequence—but that’s not possible as different people own the pages before and after this page).  

And while the description is technically accurate, it doesn’t use the phrase “half-page” or something similar. So it’s not impossible that a bidder read too quickly and those it was a splashy full page.. 

I know people who own pages from this issue (myself included) and surrounding issues and I cannot see them paying full boat as if this were an “A” level full page.  For example, there’s no Arkon tax as he doesn’t appear on the page.  And the Arkon story tax usually involves Arkon and the Scarlet Witch, which this also doesn’t have.  

So I cannot see how a half page (no matter how dynamic/cool), even with a bump for the Arkon story (and being all action), could be $10k+. 

Alternatively, what’s the case that this is worth almost $11k?

Yes, I know this is in the shallow end of the pool.  However, whomever bought the McGuinness 5 Ronin Deadpool cover got it at a nice price.  The style McGuinness used on that cover reflected how he used to draw the character when he first started working in comics in the 1990's.

Edited by Lucky Baru

2 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

Yes, I know this is in the shallow end of the pool.  However, whomever bought the McGuinness 5 Ronin Deadpool cover got it at a nice price.  The style McGuinness used on that cover reflected how he used to draw the character when he first started working in comics in the 1990's.

I had remembered that piece switching hands a few times a few years back and was interested when it came up again at auction but decided I needed to be frugal. From what I can remember the price it sold for was only $25-50 more than it sold for last time.

4 hours ago, malvin said:

Bah, underbidder on the piece I was really after.  There were a few pauses when I was winning where I thought I might take it.

Funnily enough, my limit is actually HA's PayPal/credit card limit.  I have a ton in PayPal and being in canada I just leave it in as taking it out means exchange rate costs (twice).

If the limit was higher I would have bid more and maybe win!

Malvin

Ha has a credit card limit? What is the limit? As far as I know if you pay the 3% fee - they will accept a lot.  Feel free to educate.

4 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

Wow. $630 - great deal for sure. Won't be surprised if it was bought by a dealer or flipper and we see it for 2-3x on some site soon 

lf.jpg

Edited by Panelfan1