• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Age date stamp

24 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2018 at 3:47 PM, divad said:

Before the direct market started (circa 1977), almost every Mom & Pop store used a date stamp to mark when 30 days was up, so they could return their unsold copies to the local distributor for credit. I worked in such a store. My employer even instructed me how they wanted it done. As you may know, the publication date was not only irrelevant, but also incorrect by 2-3 months, so it couldn't be relied on. There was a time limit on returns, so the retailer had to have proof to show the distributor. Of course, the practice varied store-to-store, and region to region, but there was a legitimate marketplace reason for a date stamp to be applied at the retailer level.:foryou:

Yes, there was a reason that stores did it, but they didn't *have to* do it. I think that's the point being made.

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 8/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, divad said:

Before the direct market started (circa 1977), almost every Mom & Pop store used a date stamp to mark when 30 days was up, so they could return their unsold copies to the local distributor for credit. I worked in such a store. My employer even instructed me how they wanted it done. As you may know, the publication date was not only irrelevant, but also incorrect by 2-3 months, so it couldn't be relied on. There was a time limit on returns, so the retailer had to have proof to show the distributor. Of course, the practice varied store-to-store, and region to region, but there was a legitimate marketplace reason for a date stamp to be applied at the retailer level.:foryou:

Yes, there was a reason that stores did it, but they didn't *have to* do it. I think that's the point being made.

And that reason didn't disappear with the rise of the DM. Mom & Pop stores were still part of the newsstand channel. Direct copies had no reason to be stamped, of course.

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Let him do his own backpedaling lol

27 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

And that reason didn't disappear with the rise of the DM. Mom & Pop stores were still part of the newsstand channel. Direct copies had no reason to be stamped, of course.

Yep, for about 10 seconds. :grin: