• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will AMC Theater Pass make hitting new box office highs impossible?

15 posts in this topic

I'm a member of the new AMC Theater pass ($20 a month) and since it's now being reported that 175,000 other people have signed up you may also be one of them.  If you only see 1 movie per week (3 is the max) you get a movie for $5 a piece which is a steal considering most tickets are double that.  But if this trend continues with other movie theater chains will they consider this in the gross realized for a movie?  With getting 700 million be out of reach for future comic book movies?

Edited by 1Cool

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm a member of the new AMC Theater pass ($20 a month) and since it's now being reported that 175,000 other people have signed up you may also be one of them.  If you only see 1 movie per week (3 is the max) you get a movie for $5 a piece which is a steal considering most tickets are double that.  But if this trend continues with other movie theater chains will they consider this in the gross realized for a movie?  With getting 700 million be out of reach for future comic book movies?

MoviePass is the future, get on board now.

5 minutes ago, paperheart said:

MoviePass is the future, get on board now.

MoviePass is dead as a door nail especially now that theaters have embraced the concept.  A company can't pay someone else $10 for a ticket that they are only collecting $5 for.  But I do think theaters will continue to offer the service after Movie Pass goes by by.  You have to see more then 2 movie a month for it to make sense and I'm sure most people will only use it 2 or 3 times a month which will not really cost AMC anything since they have a steady stream of money and full theaters who are buying pop corn and pop at a huge mark up.  But is all the passes going to reduce the box office numbers if this concept goes "viral" with all theaters chains offering their version?

Edited by 1Cool

I don't think it matters - because MoviePass didn't affect grosses.

With MoviePass, customers paid $20 per month, but the company reimbursed the theaters for the full price of the ticket.

I think it will be the same with AMC -- with theaters counting number of tickets sold to arrive at box office value rather than pure grosses.

Also - pure grosses are BS since only inflation-adjusted totals give a true benchmark.

And how do you calculate inflation-adjusted totals?

Number of tickets sold.

Long-term, however, we *will* likely see downward pressure on film budgets (as we've already seen with actors' salaries). Today, an average Tom Cruise action thriller can be made for $80-$120 million, and he's *still* one of the biggest stars in the business.

Edited by Gatsby77

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't think it matters - because MoviePass didn't affect grosses.

With MoviePass, customers paid $20 per month, but the company reimbursed the theaters for the full price of the ticket.

I think it will be the same with AMC -- with theaters counting number of tickets sold to arrive at box office value rather than pure grosses.

Also - pure grosses are BS since only inflation-adjusted totals give a true benchmark.

And how do you calculate inflation-adjusted totals?

Number of tickets sold.

Long-term, however, we *will* likely see downward pressure on film budgets (as we've already seen with actors' salaries). Today, an average Tom Cruise action thriller can be made for $80-$120 million, and he's *still* one of the biggest stars in the business.

Is that true?  I'd think grosses for movies (at least not inflated) are based on money collected so a $5 matinee is not the same as a prime time $10 Saturday night ticket.  I agree Movie Pass is a non issue since the theaters and studios get full ticket price but with AMC deal it is very hard to calculate the actual ticket price for each movie unless they have some internal calculator that divides the $20 by the number of movies each month (heck if you went to 3 a week that would only be $1.66 a movie).

Edited by 1Cool

Moviepass was an awesome idea that was always too good to be true. Once they got their glitches worked out, those first couple of months that I had it (September/October, or October/November...I know they did the price drop to $10 in August and then it took about a month to get my card due to the influx of new users) it was glorious. But sure enough, they started stripping features away. First it was that you could no longer see the same movie more than once. Then it was surge pricing. Now it's no major new releases. AND the price is going up. It was never going to last, but it was a fun few months.

That being said, i'd gladly pay $20 a month if they put it all back to the way it was, but I think that time has passed. Not sure that I'll keep it at $15 a month in the current state.

AMC's deal is not bad, but we only have one AMC theater around here, and it's the worst theater in town. 

Of course, none of them are as bad as Cinemark's, which is $8.99 a month...for one ticket, and the right to buy additional tickets at $8.99. I mean...whut???

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Moviepass just raised their prices to $15 per month.

I think they would need to charge $30 a month before they stop losing money.  But only a select few hardcore movie fans watch more then 4 movies a month at the theaters so it's not that great a deal at $30 a month.

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:
9 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Moviepass just raised their prices to $15 per month.

I think they would need to charge $30 a month before they stop losing money.  But only a select few hardcore movie fans watch more then 4 movies a month at the theaters so it's not that great a deal at $30 a month.

moviepass will die.  They literally pay full price for each ticket purchased.

And you can't watch any 'bigger' movies any more, or any other ones at a reasonable time.  But moviepass did do something great, forced these other companies to do the monthly membership things. 

We bought the Costco $89 year long pass for Movie pass, but we already seen about 30.  So its pure gravy going forward.  Cheers to watching Mama Mia at 11:30pm in the most dangerous part of downtown!

1 hour ago, revat said:

moviepass will die.  They literally pay full price for each ticket purchased.

And you can't watch any 'bigger' movies any more, or any other ones at a reasonable time.  But moviepass did do something great, forced these other companies to do the monthly membership things. 

We bought the Costco $89 year long pass for Movie pass, but we already seen about 30.  So its pure gravy going forward.  Cheers to watching Mama Mia at 11:30pm in the most dangerous part of downtown!

AMCs in my area are some of the best theaters with a bar and big reclining seats.  I thought they were the best theaters everywhere but maybe it’s a Cleveland thing.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

AMCs in my area are some of the best theaters with a bar and big reclining seats.  I thought they were the best theaters everywhere but maybe it’s a Cleveland thing.

AMC is fine, I’m commenting more on how movie pass is now limiting everything now in terms of movies, locations, and times. 

The AMC deal is actually really good.  We like cinemark seats more generally in our area and the location suits us, but their deal is not quite as good just now.

Our current strategy is to ride movie pass till it dies then hopefully cinemark will come out w a great offer to counter AMC.

12 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Our AMC blows. It has been passed around between chains at least three or four times now (National Amusements, Rave, Carmike) and it still has the old seats, it's like sitting on an airplane. Theaters haven't been updated in forever. Cinemark and XScape (West World Media) are kicking their butts around here.

13 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The AMC where I live is by far my favorite theater.   All the tickets are "pick your seat" reserve style.  All the seats are the big recliners.   Some of the smaller screens probably only have about 60 seats.  And there is a bar out in the lobby.   The only thing I would complain about is the soda machine is one of those touch screen select your flavor which I find disgusting (but I don't really drink much soda at all, so not really that much of an issue).  

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, F For Fake said:

Our AMC blows. It has been passed around between chains at least three or four times now (National Amusements, Rave, Carmike) and it still has the old seats, it's like sitting on an airplane. Theaters haven't been updated in forever. Cinemark and XScape (West World Media) are kicking their butts around here.

This has been my experience with my local AMC, though 18 months ago it was a Carmike.  They didn't change much except for the signs.