I think I was scammed over a commission
1 1

56 posts in this topic

376 posts
7 hours ago, TeeDub said:

What he is looking for is a red flag to help others that may fall into the same position that you have.  That is the point of these boards.  It is meant  to be a community.  Communities have like goals, respect for each other and watch out for each other by sharing relevant information.  In this case it would be the name of the vendor who may have been unprofessional at the least and possibly unethical.  

Sharing your experience here is great.  But if you aren't asking for help or looking to let others know who to be cautious of so that they can be aware and not have the same thing done to them then I'm curious as to the nature of the post.  And in my opinion you've acted with poor judgment in not naming the artist but giving a description of their past/career.  That's weak, brother.  Either give a name, or give no information on the artist at all.   People that read this post may now avoid an artist that they think fits your description, who indeed is not acting unethically.     - 'nuff said.

I do hope your deal gets worked out.  Good luck on that.   

Take care.

 

Joined just a couple months ago, still getting the hang of the place. Was venting in the moment. Going to see if he makes good with a payback before PayPal has to extract the funds. If he does not pay me back before the deadline than I would be more than happy to share his name. It's listed as one of the names to watch out for on the facebook link shared in this thread. If you want his name PM me and I will share it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375 posts
14 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

And from the other side of the fence, deadbeats like this make it harder for good faith artist's like myself when it comes to commissions.  If I'm going to go long on a commission, I say it up front.  Also, I don't dodge communications, I take little or nothing up front for a deposit, and I always try and do my best work given the limitations.  I have had to cancel a few commissions because of being overcommitted, but again, it's always communicated and no money was ever exchanged.  Being an artist is (usually) really hard to make a living, but that is never excuse to an unethical schmuck. 

There, I've said my peace.

 

Oh yea, I forgot. Years back I got a Scott Williams commission done. He did an inking job for me and he was terrific to work with as well. Solid through and through!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 posts
22 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I've commissioned, literally, hundreds of pieces and have very very few horror stories. Like, count them on one hand few. So I'd wager your personal experience might have more to do with the particular people you chose to deal with, and bad luck encountering them, than in the "commission game" itself. 

Also an admittedly small sampling. That said it allowed me to focus on published art from the earliest comic reading days of my youth which for me has been most rewarding.

Edited by MAR1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,674 posts
22 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I've commissioned, literally, hundreds of pieces and have very very few horror stories. Like, count them on one hand few. So I'd wager your personal experience might have more to do with the particular people you chose to deal with, and bad luck encountering them, than in the "commission game" itself. 

 

38 minutes ago, MAR1979 said:

Also an admittedly small sampling. That said it allowed me to focus on published art from the earliest comic reading days of my youth which for me has been most rewarding.

 

I'm glad you found something you enjoyed in the hobby. I've been able to do that with nostalgic published pieces and commissioned pieces. 

I've been able to spread my rewarding experiences to include published and commissioned work and it's allowed me to work with most of the professional artists who've worked in comics from the 70's to present, and been willing to take on commission work of course. From freebee sketches to commissions that have run in the several thousands dollars I've seen most of what the various aspects of the hobby have to offer. There's something for everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 posts

I made the decision last week I'm quitting commissions. I'm burnt out. 

The year started by putting in a request with Marc Hempel. From what I see, an artist who isn't even doing published gigs or that many (if any) commissions these days. Was supposed to be delivered in February. 

Then a month after that, thinking I was on a roll, reached out to Teddy Kristiansen. That was fun. Every 2-3 weeks he would send me an email out of the blue that he was "starting this week." I never chased him. I would just get odd excuses. The final count was 7. I wouldn't have minded waiting, but found it incredibly rude he kept behaving like that. He refunded but complained that "commissions are not a business but favours." Which was a highly odd statement to make given he took money for it. 

Then of course you have the commissions that are completed... But are too embarrassing to share or even look at in your collection. I've got a few.

I do hope things work out for you. I think they will. Just tread lightly and try to do research in the future would be my advice, as it can lead to bigger headaches down the line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,749 posts
5 minutes ago, jimmy020889 said:

I made the decision last week I'm quitting commissions. I'm burnt out. 

The year started by putting in a request with Marc Hempel. From what I see, an artist who isn't even doing published gigs or that many (if any) commissions these days. Was supposed to be delivered in February. 

Then a month after that, thinking I was on a roll, reached out to Teddy Kristiansen. That was fun. Every 2-3 weeks he would send me an email out of the blue that he was "starting this week." I never chased him. I would just get odd excuses. The final count was 7. I wouldn't have minded waiting, but found it incredibly rude he kept behaving like that. He refunded but complained that "commissions are not a business but favours." Which was a highly odd statement to make given he took money for it. 

Then of course you have the commissions that are completed... But are too embarrassing to share or even look at in your collection. I've got a few.

I do hope things work out for you. I think they will. Just tread lightly and try to do research in the future would be my advice, as it can lead to bigger headaches down the line.

 

Well, you picked some shaky ones there for sure! Marc is a great guy what when we have interacted but he has sleep problems that make me look like Rip Van Winkle. Teddy on the other hand was my 10 year commission horror story, so good luck with that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 posts
5 minutes ago, Bird said:

Well, you picked some shaky ones there for sure! Marc is a great guy what when we have interacted but he has sleep problems that make me look like Rip Van Winkle. Teddy on the other hand was my 10 year commission horror story, so good luck with that one.

For sure but I only knew after. As I didn't know anyone in the community at the time and couldn't find any details on them. They're both wonderfully pleasant enough through email, but I wouldn't rely on them as the best man to my wedding.

10 years?! Good grief! I have to ask, but how did that turn out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,174 posts
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, MAR1979 said:

Henry Blake: The father dying, right?

Klinger: Yes, sir.

Henry Blake: [takes out a stack of papers and reads them] Father dying last year. Mother dying last year. Mother AND father dying. Mother, father, and older sister dying. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Older sister dying and mother pregnant. Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying. Here's an oldie but a goodie: Half of the family dying, other half pregnant.

 

Got nearly the same excuse from an artist a while back.  My opinion is shelling out money for commissions is significantly riskier than gambling given winning is rare . Which is why I no longer participate in the art commission game.

One of my all-time favorites! :bigsmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,174 posts
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I've generally had good experiences with commissions, but perhaps it is the way I go about it.

First, I don't commission an artist unless I meet him/her face-to-face at a con. It lets me evaluate what I think of their turn-around capabilities as well as what work they are showing. And yes, it is a limitation. But, I will travel to get what I want. 

Second, I find out what they would charge me, and then offer to pay more. I explain that I want the best job they can possibly do, and I don't want them to skimp on time to make a few extra bucks. I also ask for a rough time schedule. If you want some real-life assurance of a completed project, offering to over-pay is an excellent solution. By the way, that offer of mine has been turned down by quite a few artists. That scores points with me.

Third, I always bring research material with me so they don't have to go hunting for images of what I want. On occasion, I have bought supplies at a con to give the artist if they don't have them there.

Finally, I try to use some common sense by letting the artist have actual free rein on what to draw but giving directons of what it should generally be. I would not pay everything "up front" and have even had my offers of paying half up-front refused. 

Excellent advice here. As an artist, I can't tell you how many times someone has approached me with an "idea" for something. The problem is, they offer nothing to help move this "idea" forward. The projects I've done that were completed successfully were described to me in detail beforehand, with additional reference material and funds provided (generally half of the money up front and the other half when the job was done). In this way, I immediately had enough money to purchase any additional materials I needed for the project and an incentive to complete it. In my view, if you pay someone all the money up front, it's easy for them to suddenly become uninspired...zzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236 posts
2 hours ago, jimmy020889 said:

He refunded but complained that "commissions are not a business but favours." Which was a highly odd statement to make given he took money for it. 

 

Sounds like Kristiansen doesn't understand what "business" means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,702 posts

I haven't bought a commission or page of art in a long time.  Just got completely burned out in the process.  Just buy comics now.  WTF are I going to do with all those commissions I have?  Nobody will buy my idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,711 posts
7 hours ago, jimmy020889 said:

... and try to do research in the future would be my advice, as it can lead to bigger headaches down the line.

 

This. 

Art collectors tend to get intoxicated at the idea of getting something from an artist and leap before they look into things like they should. I have been guilty of this myself. You see a commission opportunity and you get tunnel vision and before you know it, you are pushing money at them without setting up parameters/protection that you should. 

Art is about passion and that can lead to financial decisions that you wouldn't make anywhere else in life. I just got a new roof on my house and had 5 companies out for bids, researched them all intensively, and then made an informed decision and they agreed to take payment upon completion. Sometimes we as collectors need to take more heed before jumping into a commission, especially when it is very expensive. 

Edited by JadeGiant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,674 posts
1 hour ago, Pirate said:

I haven't bought a commission or page of art in a long time.  Just got completely burned out in the process.  Just buy comics now.  WTF are I going to do with all those commissions I have?  Nobody will buy my idea.

Do something memorable, get famous, then after you die your family can sell the pieces commissioned by the famous dead guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,139 posts
23 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Excellent advice here. As an artist, I can't tell you how many times someone has approached me with an "idea" for something. The problem is, they offer nothing to help move this "idea" forward. The projects I've done that were completed successfully were described to me in detail beforehand, with additional reference material and funds provided (generally half of the money up front and the other half when the job was done). In this way, I immediately had enough money to purchase any additional materials I needed for the project and an incentive to complete it. In my view, if you pay someone all the money up front, it's easy for them to suddenly become uninspired...zzz

First, thank you for the compliment. 

Second, let me add another point: I try to match the subject of the intended commission with something I know about the artist. For example, I knew of Colleen Doran's history (as well as her artistic skill), so I decided she would be perfect to draw a female version of the Phantom Stranger. Before going to the Con, I went on the Internet, found 2 females in costumes inspired by the Phantom Stranger and brought them with me, along with those collected work reprints of the character's second series. Her version was excellent; it had looked nothing at all like the two models I brought, and she actually enjoyed doing it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,174 posts
3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

First, thank you for the compliment. 

Second, let me add another point: I try to match the subject of the intended commission with something I know about the artist. For example, I knew of Colleen Doran's history (as well as her artistic skill), so I decided she would be perfect to draw a female version of the Phantom Stranger. Before going to the Con, I went on the Internet, found 2 females in costumes inspired by the Phantom Stranger and brought them with me, along with those collected work reprints of the character's second series. Her version was excellent; it had looked nothing at all like the two models I brought, and she actually enjoyed doing it.   

You're very welcome! :)

And you make another good point here: The enjoyment aspect is very important. If a project seems unfocused or uninspiring, it's much less likely to be completed. For instance, once I was asked if I could paint the Rolling Stones logo on a large satellite dish. I mean, how often do you get to do something like that? I had to give it a whirl, you know? (It ended up only taking about four hours to do...and a good time was had by all, as I recall...) 

However, I do think it's completely irresponsible to take the money for a commission and not deliver the goods. The artist in this case should immediately return the money and apologize profusely for his inability to complete the project. Just very poor judgement on his part, and a good way to ruin your reputation...

Edited by The Lions Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1