• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sal Buscema Commission

16 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Comixculture said:

I just received my Sal Buscema commission that was offered here earlier this year. I requested Captain America head sketch with clenched teeth if possible.

I'm very excited about how it turned out. It's better than I imagined.

Thank you Sal Buscema! And thanks to Desert Wind Comics for having this event available to participate in.

If anyone else received their commissions please post here as well.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1489634&GSub=192027

https://www.instagram.com/comixculture/

1763880885_IMG_84932.thumb.jpg.e24f3228566bbf136c3c17ba9f12bb9b.jpg

Love it!

He is clearly a top 5 comic book artist of all time, if on caliber of consistent quality alone. He could be pencilling or inking a modern book today and be popular. Who else can that be said about? Like ever? 50 years of actually good work? Not just nostalgia drive but actually high caliber evolving work. This style sal is clean and dynamic and expressive in ways most current art I’ve seen is lacking. Great piece.

9 hours ago, zhamlau said:

He is clearly a top 5 comic book artist of all time, if on caliber of consistent quality alone. He could be pencilling or inking a modern book today and be popular. Who else can that be said about? Like ever? 50 years of actually good work? Not just nostalgia drive but actually high caliber evolving work. This style sal is clean and dynamic and expressive in ways most current art I’ve seen is lacking. Great piece.

This gets my vote for the best post in a long while. Sal's career is stellar and his longevity in simply mind boggling (admittedly, I am a huge Sal fan so my opinion is highly biased but I still think he is objectively one of the greats). 

I vaguely recall Sal being discussed as if a redheaded stepchild on the Comicart-L in the early days. Among discussions of Diko, and Kirby, Romita and John, folks mentioned Sal in the same way they mentioned Sad Sack art. Appreciation of his work seems to have risen dramatically in the years since, anecdotally speaking, and from what I see people write about him.

My only direct experience with Sal was that, like Stan Lee and a number of other folks, he had a knack at the time for signing OA in a way that could make you regret asking in the first place, if you weren't careful. I wasn't careful. But he was certainly a nice guy when I talked with him. The signature regret set in later.

...I tried to find my old Rom page on CAF, but I didn't see it in a quick search, but here's an example of the sort of thing I mean. Not mine of course...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1280251

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1160163

I'm sure some folks would be totally cool with it. Me, it drove nuts.

Edited by ESeffinga

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I vaguely recall Sal being discussed as if a redheaded stepchild on the Comicart-L in the early days. Among discussions of Diko, and Kirby, Romita and John, folks mentioned Sal in the same way they mentioned Sad Sack art. Appreciation of his work seems to have risen dramatically in the years since, anecdotally speaking, and from what I see people write about him.

My only direct experience with Sal was that, like Stan Lee and a number of other folks, he had a knack at the time for signing OA in a way that could make you regret asking in the first place, if you weren't careful. I wasn't careful. But he was certainly a nice guy when I talked with him. The signature regret set in later.

...I tried to find my old Rom page on CAF, but I didn't see it in a quick search, but here's an example of the sort of thing I mean. Not mine of course...

Sal has signed (and may still) pages in the panels. He is one of the nicest people I have ever had the benefit of speaking to in this business (I was very fortunate to spend some time talking with him when he won the Harvey lifetime achievement award) and I am sure he doesn’t do this to be difficult in any way (not saying that you are making this statement). I was aware of this tendency and asked him to sign a page in the bottom margin when I met him which he happily obliged. I have seen Sal pages marked as $5 - $10 on the back in pencil so I have to think that he had no forethought that signing as he did would possibly impact value in the future. I would imagine that he felt that someone that wanted his signature on the page would want it to be easily visible and chose the first panel he saw with white space.

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I like Sal's art, and have more appreciation for it than I used to. But I think his reappraisal is mostly nostalgia driven. Sal was a good, solid, reliable pro. The equivalent of a major league outfielder who you can count on to play every day, hit about .280 with 25 HR's & 85 RBI; and play a solid outfield for you. The kind of guy who every team likes to have on their team, but is constantly looking to replace with the 5 tool superstar prospect.

He worked fast, and at a consistent professional quality level in all kinds of genres. So, he worked on a LOT of Marvel stuff during the 1970's and 80's, which are hitting their nostalgia peak with many deeper pocket collectors right now. Sal's art was also the epitome of that era's Marvel House style.  He wasn't one of the idiosyncratic art superstars, like Frank Miller, or John Byrne or Bill Sienkiewicz. But when you think of Marvel art from this era, you inevitably think of Sal. Plus, he worked on some classic titles from the era, like Rom, New Mutants, Hulk, etc.

Sal's art is also back in the era when you still had word balloons. So, again, there is a nostalgia factor at work. You are getting a quintessential Marvel art page when you buy a Sal page from that era. (I'm not sure his later DC work is as prized).

Is he a top 5 all-time comic book artist? As much as I like Sal (and my first piece of OA was bought directly from him some 25 years ago), I do not agree. But, he was made for the mediun, no question about it. He had an expressive, dynamic style and was a consummate sequential story teller.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

11 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I believe that when the pages to ROM 1 were sold earlier this year that he signed all of them also. I'm glad he'll at least think about where he'll place his signature and not just write it on a character's head.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I like Sal's art, and have more appreciation for it than I used to. But I think his reappraisal is mostly nostalgia driven. Sal was a good, solid, reliable pro. The equivalent of a major league outfielder who you can count on to play every day, hit about .280 with 25 HR's & 85 RBI; and play a solid outfield for you. The kind of guy who every team likes to have on their team, but is constantly looking to replace with the 5 tool superstar prospect.

While i don’t agree on the appraisal I found something interesting in this assessment. Sal was turning out the same caliber of work day in and out for 45 years. Since no ones really had a career like that, and only JRJR is even close, let’s say that’s like having a 25 year career in the majors, turning out those same numbers with consistency (again he was a name artist who stayed relevant for decade after decade that they put on popular books in one of the most artistically competitive eras in comic history).

That guy would have hit 600+ homeruns, 4000+ hits, drove in 2000+ runs and had a near .300 average doing it...wouldn’t that be a top 5 player of all time?

40 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

While i don’t agree on the appraisal I found something interesting in this assessment. Sal was turning out the same caliber of work day in and out for 45 years. Since no ones really had a career like that, and only JRJR is even close, let’s say that’s like having a 25 year career in the majors, turning out those same numbers with consistency (again he was a name artist who stayed relevant for decade after decade that they put on popular books in one of the most artistically competitive eras in comic history).

That guy would have hit 600+ homeruns, 4000+ hits, drove in 2000+ runs and had a near .300 average doing it...wouldn’t that be a top 5 player of all time?

I like this. Sal's like Pete Rose with power (and not the personal baggage). Longevity counts in my book – especially when the quality of work doesn’t erode over time.