• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Requesting Key Comments?

13 posts in this topic

I have a question about key comments. There is a book that I am interested in slabbing and it is a character's first appearance. However, since the characters are not that well-known, I don't think CGC acknowledges them in the key comments section. Is there a way to get the book graded and have them add in the "First Appearance of ..." in the key comments section or will I have to just live without it? Thanks for all the thoughts!

It never hurts to put a note on the bag with your desired key comment. This will usually prompt one of the graders to at least think about entering it into the system (if it hasn't been entered already). Most of the graders are pretty enthusiastic comic fans, too...that's why they became graders in the first place...:foryou:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

It never hurts to put a note on the bag with your desired key comment. This will usually prompt one of the graders to at least think about entering it into the system (if it hasn't been entered already). Most of the graders are pretty enthusiastic comic fans, too...that's why they became graders in the first place...:foryou:

That's a really good idea, thanks. I might just do that! 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I would suggest doing this during a less busy time for submissions. Chances are your note will be ignored this time of year.

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

I would suggest doing this during a less busy time for submissions. Chances are your note will be ignored this time of year.

Good advice. I will do this when things sort of die down. What is the least popular months for submissions?

I've done this several times - 1st Howard Stark, 1st Giganta were both me in addition to a few others.  The one time they didn't comply I figure it was simply overlooked rather then the result of some disagreement regarding my requested notation.

As previously suggested, mark it on your submission form if there is a note field (can't picture the form off-hand).  You could also send a letter with the submission like this example I once sent.  Doesn't hurt to call & make sure they've done it when you see your status go to Graded.

September 19, 2012

CGC Submission Center

PO Box 4738

Sarasota FL 34230

Dear Receiving Manager,

On the new label for the enclosed Eternals #7, could you please note the first appearances of Jemiah the Analyzer and Tefral the Surveyor?

There are several online sources that reference this issue as the first appearance of these 2 characters, ComicVine is an example.

Sincerely,

xxx

The way I see it, accurate notations are part of what we are paying for.  They should honor the request if it's correct.  I wouldn't be shy about requesting it any time of the year.

Edited by Heronext

8 hours ago, Heronext said:

I've done this several times - 1st Howard Stark, 1st Giganta were both me in addition to a few others.  The one time they didn't comply I figure it was simply overlooked rather then the result of some disagreement regarding my requested notation.

As previously suggested, mark it on your submission form if there is a note field (can't picture the form off-hand).  You could also send a letter with the submission like this example I once sent.  Doesn't hurt to call & make sure they've done it when you see your status go to Graded.

September 19, 2012

CGC Submission Center

PO Box 4738

Sarasota FL 34230

Dear Receiving Manager,

On the new label for the enclosed Eternals #7, could you please note the first appearances of Jemiah the Analyzer and Tefral the Surveyor?

There are several online sources that reference this issue as the first appearance of these 2 characters, ComicVine is an example.

Sincerely,

xxx

The way I see it, accurate notations are part of what we are paying for.  They should honor the request if it's correct.  I wouldn't be shy about requesting it any time of the year.

8 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Honestly, not great. Maybe 50/50 at best.

Thank you. Both of you. I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks :)