• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal

17 posts in this topic

I'm very new to using eBay and Paypal, and my search didn't yield any answers for me. I could have searched more, but was getting frustrated. So, I hope this question is okay.

I noticed that personal PayPal is listed as not an acceptable form of payment for the marketplace here. However, I notice PayPal as an option on seller threads. Can someone please clarify this for me as I'm interested in making a WTB thread?

Thanks!

I've only ever used it recently to make a few eBay purchases. I never even knew there was two options. This is laziness on my own part I guess, but there are other factors. If it isn't too much trouble, how would the process work? This may sound weird, but I'm very new to ordering anything online. I don't want to do anything that would come off as suspicious and ruin my rep with my first attempt at buying.

1 minute ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

I've only ever used it recently to make a few eBay purchases. I never even knew there was two options. This is laziness on my own part I guess, but there are other factors. If it isn't too much trouble, how would the process work? This may sound weird, but I'm very new to ordering anything online. I don't want to do anything that would come off as suspicious and ruin my rep with my first attempt at buying.

When you go to pay for something via PayPal you will be given the option to send the money Friends and Family or to Pay For Goods and Services. Friends and Family allows the transfer of funds without fees and the other charges the sell (not the buyer) a fee. You, as the buyer, are also given protection when it comes to returns by usig the Goods and Services option that you are not given with Friends and Family.

In short, always use Goods and Services when purchasing anything online.

3 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

When you go to pay for something via PayPal you will be given the option to send the money Friends and Family or to Pay For Goods and Services. Friends and Family allows the transfer of funds without fees and the other charges the sell (not the buyer) a fee. You, as the buyer, are also given protection when it comes to returns by usig the Goods and Services option that you are not given with Friends and Family.

Much appreciated. :smile:

1 minute ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:
5 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Much appreciated. :smile:

You're welcome.

Online retailers (like eBay) are not allowed to give you the Friends and Family option, which probably explains why you have never seen it.

4 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Exactly. I will say that I have used to friends and family with boardies that I trust. However, if something happened and they got hit by a bus and couldn't ship my comic, it would be my fault. No one to blame but myself if that happened.doh! (Please look both ways when crossing the street)

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll piggyback here. WTF is going on with Paypal? I've been getting emails from them requesting my SSN. Also, when I get to the website (not via the email) it notifies me they want my SSN. I called them and the rep told me the emails were spammers which I might buy into save for one thing. I asked him why the website keeps asking for the info. He's said that it must be a glitch because nobody else has complained about it . Yeah, pull the other one.

I don't sell items on ebay so that isn't why they want it. Anyway I told them I wasn't handing over any SSN info.

Anybody else having this problem?

1 hour ago, evilskip said:

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll piggyback here. WTF is going on with Paypal? I've been getting emails from them requesting my SSN. Also, when I get to the website (not via the email) it notifies me they want my SSN. I called them and the rep told me the emails were spammers which I might buy into save for one thing. I asked him why the website keeps asking for the info. He's said that it must be a glitch because nobody else has complained about it . Yeah, pull the other one.

I don't sell items on ebay so that isn't why they want it. Anyway I told them I wasn't handing over any SSN info.

Anybody else having this problem?

Paypal... your bank... or any company will never ask you for your SSN thru e-mail. In fact they shouldn't be asking on the phone either. Its a scam by some hacker. Disregard even if they say you are going to jail. Just bogus poopmadeup by people who are poop.

Edited by Ride the Tiger
correct sentence.

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Paypal... your bank... or any company will never ask you for your SSN thru e-mail. In fact they shouldn't be asking on the phone either. Its a scam by some hacker. Disregard even if they say you are going to jail. Just bogus poopmadeup by people who are poop.

Oh I agree. It is just that whenever I log into Paypal itself they want the information, and that is what is pizzing me off.

4 minutes ago, evilskip said:

Oh I agree. It is just that whenever I log into Paypal itself they want the information, and that is what is pizzing me off.

I would bet that you used the link in the E-Mail, maybe just once, and it is now remembering it via Cookies. Clean out your browser, try a different browser, delete the cookies, whatever you need to do. 

"PayPal" emails me every week saying something like, "there is problem in ur account" or, "action requireed without acount info".

Their English sucks, and every time I respond with, "You need to correct my foot not being in your @$$".

I don't think that I've ever seen a professional brand/company email me using poor English. They tend to proofread their messages. If you see even a single spelling, grammar, or punctuation error then it's likely from a scammer.

Check the email to see if they don't use your name. If the email address doesn't show paypal.com, you have to report PayPal for pfishing and scam.  PayPal can prevent them but can't stop everyone at once. They create everyday with new emails and different addresses. All you do is to protect yourself by determining if the emails are scams.

The most annoying of all is getting calls from IRS and SSA (I got all messages).  I get many other calls but I never got the messages so I block them included fake IRS and SSA. Real IRS and SSA are never calling that goes same thing with PayPal.

Edited by JollyComics

I would suggest running Virus Detection/Removal Software and an Adware Removal Program to be sure your computer is cleaned of all possible infections.

Also, when you log into the PayPal site be sure you see...https;, without the "s" it is not a secure site.

https://www.techsupportall.com/adware-removal-tool/

I never click on any email link from any company I use. I prefer going to the site.

And I do have all of the protection gigs like McAfee, Malware, Spybot and spyware blaster.

Paypal really has problems on a perpetual basis. A few years ago they started charging foreign transaction fees on US transactions. After badgering them for weeks they finally admitted the problem wasn't from my end.