• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Looking to sell comic,but I’m worried about being taken advantage of because of lack of knowledge of comics,and their grade. Any advice would be appreciated. 

1AA65154-31B8-49AC-B748-A48CD59AFE92.jpeg

Edited by Rick7019
Typo

I usually suggest that you take good pictures of your book (front and back cover are a must) and post them in the "Buddy Can You Spare A Grade" section. Just be very careful when handling it, and when you're putting it in or taking it out of the bag. This looks like it could be pretty low grade, but even lower grade copies of this book are worth a considerable amount these days. If you get a chance, make sure to count the pages (it should have 8 wraps plus the cover---in more common terms, 16 pages plus the cover) and make sure the Marvel Value Stamp is intact. The more pictures you can take, the better assessment the graders here can give. You came to the right place...these guys are the best.

And, lest I forget, welcome to the boards!  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

In the event your time is super valuable and you’re pretty sure your comic is completely in tact and original, you can just submit it to Cgc to have it graded, for a fee of course.  

Then when you get it back you can throw it in an auction online, so you won’t get ripped off

Edited by revat

If this is really a newbie, I'm sure he's getting PM's already. While so many here offer good advice, there are some that will try and take advantage of the situation. My advice to the guy, for the best return get it pressed and graded, then sell it in auction. You can look on the CGC website for the services they offer, costs, and how to guides. Good luck.

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Why slab the book? I think taking a few photos and listing it without a grade on eBay will result in the best net profit.

You may be right, in fact it may already be sold from just showing it here ! I do think this book can benefit from a press. 

No argument there, but for a newcomer to start getting involved with pressing and grading is going to cost hundreds  and take months.

Putting it on eBay, you will hopefully attract bottom feeders looking for the cheapest copy out there.

Sell the books potential.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

If this is really a newbie, I'm sure he's getting PM's already. While so many here offer good advice, there are some that will try and take advantage of the situation. My advice to the guy, for the best return get it pressed and graded, then sell it in auction. You can look on the CGC website for the services they offer, costs, and how to guides. Good luck.

Very true. I inherited a collection.recently, and have been inventorying and doing research.  I posted my (higher grade) copy of this same comic in the "Please Grade My forum", and did get some PM's from interested buyers. We decided to wait, get this book and a few others graded, and go from there.  Good to see from these comments that we're on the right track.  These forums have been very helpful!

Submitting to CGC for a real newbie could be daunting & confusing.  If one doesn’t know how to grade, how does one even figure out value & tier?  I would recommend sending it out to one of the reputable experts for a dry clean & press (a cost of $20 or so). Have it returned to you unslabbed.  Auction on eBay at no reserve auction starting at 99 cents with lots of awesome pictures.