• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does This Seem Off?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Browsing some ebay listings and came across this JIM 83 CGC 5.0: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Journey-into-Mystery-CGC-5-0-1st-Appearance-THOR-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee/173431158466?hash=item28614d76c2:g:FdsAAOSw70BbWOxP

Take a look at the zoomed in pics. Unfortunately, the graders notes for the book are not available. I've never seen that much wear on a 5.0. Haven't contacted the seller and don't know the history of the book, but it seems unusual...

I’d say you’re correct; something looks off.

My UNexpert opinion is it’s more than a full grade under a 5.0. If that’s a legit 5.0 (and not a different comic in a carefully cracked slab), it’s one of the worst I’ve seen.

Graded 02/2012. I've said this many times, the 2011 timeframe is the worst era of CGC grading, extremely loose. However, even with loose grading, this is terrible. Also, it's extremely disturbing to see people bidding on it. They must only be looking at the label.

Okay, glad I wasn't imagining things looking off. Can't see any issues with the case in the pics, but yeah I highly doubt CGC would give that book a 5.0. Here's a back cover image as well (staining and tape residue present):

backcover.jpg

There are countless examples of shoddy CGC grading. The seller has a good rep and sells plenty comics/comic related material. Why chance it over a 6K book ? He has some inventory selling for more.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I guess you are forgetting that GL76 CGC 9.4 with over a dozen spine ticks on it. Unfortunately I can't find the scan. There are countless examples of shoddy CGC grading. The seller has a good rep and sells plenty comics. Why chance it over a 6K book ? He has some inventory selling for more.

I'm inclined to think this was a label error which managed to get through the system. It's amazing to me that it hasn't been brought to anyone's attention until now. Also, I do understand that there are books that could use another look as far as the grade goes. I don't always agree with the grades I receive, either...but I don't think that's the case with this book. 

4 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Browsing some ebay listings and came across this JIM 83 CGC 5.0: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Journey-into-Mystery-CGC-5-0-1st-Appearance-THOR-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee/173431158466?hash=item28614d76c2:g:FdsAAOSw70BbWOxP

Take a look at the zoomed in pics. Unfortunately, the graders notes for the book are not available. I've never seen that much wear on a 5.0. Haven't contacted the seller and don't know the history of the book, but it seems unusual...

Nice catch! You're right---it's not a 5.0...

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

I don't have any older CGC books to compare to at the moment, but did they used to put the grade way to the left within the white box on the left-hand side? All of mine are centered...

I think I see what you mean. Yes, they are usually centered but this could be an optical illusion because the book is tilted for the picture. Maybe (shrug)